jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

The friend I brought to the last NoVA gathering loved the way it went, and now she and some neighbors are planning a local wine tasting. The plan is to have a similar style gathering / tasting (no specific theme, though) in Gainesville, VA on Nov. 15. We're even planning on plagiarizing some of the materials handed out by the more studious participants of NoVA #7.

Any NoVA wooters who are interested in joining, let me know, and I can get you details. The plan is to bring a "favorite" wine and be prepared to tell a little about it, the winery, and why you like it (pretty standard for our gatherings). Most of the participants are likely less familiar with wine than most Woot Wineau, so you'd be a visiting expert.

CT | | | | | |

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
jwhite6114 wrote:The friend I brought to the last NoVA gathering loved the way it went, and now she and some neighbors are planning a local wine tasting. The plan is to have a similar style gathering / tasting (no specific theme, though) in Gainesville, VA on Nov. 15. We're even planning on plagiarizing some of the materials handed out by the more studious participants of NoVA #7.

Any NoVA wooters who are interested in joining, let me know, and I can get you details. The plan is to bring a "favorite" wine and be prepared to tell a little about it, the winery, and why you like it (pretty standard for our gatherings). Most of the participants are likely less familiar with wine than most Woot Wineau, so you'd be a visiting expert.

wouldn't this be more like 7.5 since this is before NoVA #8 but after NoVA #7? and depending on when the Maryland vs UNC game is I can be there.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
InShadows wrote:wouldn't this be more like 7.5 since this is before NoVA #8 but after NoVA #7? and depending on when the Maryland vs UNC game is I can be there.

It's just sad that you people have so many tastings (and so randomly) that there ends up being fractions...

Maybe the others should just get renumbered and see where it's REALLY at. Make this #8, turn #8 into #9, turn #8.5 into #10, and #9 into #11... holy carp - 4 tastings being planned at once? It's a new record!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

InShadows

cheron98 wrote:It's just sad that you people have so many tastings (and so randomly) that there ends up being fractions...

Maybe the others should just get renumbered and see where it's REALLY at. Make this #8, turn #8 into #9, turn #8.5 into #10, and #9 into #11... holy carp - 4 tastings being planned at once? It's a new record!

it's better with the fractions. that way we don't sound like lushes...

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

jwhite6114

InShadows wrote:wouldn't this be more like 7.5 since this is before NoVA #8 but after NoVA #7? and depending on when the Maryland vs UNC game is I can be there.

Good point -- changed!

Hope you can make, it, too. I believe you're a little closer than some, right?

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

cheron98 wrote:It's just sad that you people have so many tastings (and so randomly) that there ends up being fractions...

Or, we could number by the tasting you have visited. If we tallied up the national tastings you've attended it would HAVE to be higher than any single locale's total. Or if we combined you and Sparky for a Cheon/Sparky Tasting Index #.

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:Or, we could number by the tasting you have visited. If we tallied up the national tastings you've attended it would HAVE to be higher than any single locale's total. Or if we combined you and Sparky for a Cheon/Sparky Tasting Index #.

I haven't visited too many, actually. It just seems that way. All the Detroit ones, obviously, plus 2 NoVA, plus 1 Chicago. And the Vegas coming up, and the NoVA 8.5 coming up.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

InShadows

jwhite6114 wrote:Good point -- changed!

Hope you can make, it, too. I believe you're a little closer than some, right?

Since I never emailed the guy about the maryland vs unc game I'll be there. And yes I'm probably closer than most.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

J-dub,

Wendy & I wouldn't miss this for the world.

Ross

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

jwhite6114

spdrcr05 wrote:J-dub,

Wendy & I wouldn't miss this for the world.

Ross

Ross -- glad to hear it! Any idea on the wine you'll bring (for planning purposes)?

InShad -- you in?

Anyone else?

CT | | | | | |

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
jwhite6114 wrote:Ross -- glad to hear it! Any idea on the wine you'll bring (for planning purposes)?

InShad -- you in?

Anyone else?

Pondering. I have a tasting on Sunday and a wine dinner on Monday. Three days in a row seems a bit excessive, even for me. :-) If I decide to forgo the dinner on Monday, I'll hop down off the fence.

spdrcr05

jwhite6114 wrote:Ross -- glad to hear it! Any idea on the wine you'll bring (for planning purposes)

Favorite wine is the theme ... which drops me squarely in the big brawny Sonoma Cab Sav or Pinot Noir box.. but as those maybe over-represented, I think I'll bring one of my Stuart Cab Francs to add a little depth in terrior & varietal.

Wendy has asked if we can bring food? What about anything else (glasses, corkscrew, etc)?

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

spdrcr05

Wendy is feeling under the weather as well. Looks like we are going to sit this one out.

Ross

jwhite6114

Ross, sorry you were not able to make it. As it turns out I was not able to be there for the actual event, either, but it went very well and folks are already talking about doing this quarterly.

Thanks, WF, for the excellent cheese. I asked that some be saved for me so I could at least have a taste, and there was very little left by the time it reached me this morning. It was obviously very popular -- and believe me, there was no shortage of excellent food at this event. I was told it went particularly well with the gewurztraminer that someone brought.

I had a taste earlier today, and it was very good. Wonderfully smooth and creamy -- the kind of cheese you could just slice and eat all by itself. Unfortunately, I have been under the weather and have not had a chance to pair this with a wine, but I am sure you already have that part covered .

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

OK -- official comments from the Gainesville folks on the cheese:

Okay so the comments we had were the following.

Very nice.

Absolutely love it.

Very mild would not stand up well to a heavy red but would be a could accompaniment to lighter wines.

Doesn't have the same smokey flavor definitely different but nice.

Like it a lot. the flavor is mild but has a good taste. Different.

Overall everyone liked it.
CT | | | | | |