HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Due to the nature of this tasting (bottle size, seating & holiday considerations), attendance is limited to 20 participants.
As you'll note, we've increased the limit due to overwhelming interest. To this effect, we're suggesting that everyone try to bring two 375's or one 750ml bottle of their selection. If you are only able to bring one 375 of the bottle of your choosing that's OK too. We'll make due.
Some wooters have already expressed interest in this tasting and have been put on the list.
If you are not on the list and would like to attend please sign up for the waiting list.
If someone drops out of the tasting their seat will be offered to the next wooter based on time/date stamp of their post expressing interest in attending.

THEME: The Diabetic's Dilemma-The NYC Holiday Tasting~
Please bring your favorite dessert wine.
We should include a Sauternes, Port, a lighter Flor Sherry ( a Flor, a Manzanilla, a Amontillado??) A Olorso Sherry, a PX Sherry, Tokaj, Champagne, Madeira, Mus cat, (perhaps NYS/Canadian?) Ice Wine, Beerenauslese, Trokenbeerennauslese, etc. and a classic food pairing for your selection.
DATE: 12/13
HOSTS: Krugsters & Shamer
TIME: 4:00 PM (Arrive between 3 & 3:30, as first pour will start PROMPTLY at 4 whether you are there or not)

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
1. Krugsters - 2005 Château Doisy-Védrines 750ml (Gary's #1 pick) paired with seared fois gras.
2. Shamer - 2000 Château Henye Tokaji Aszú 6 Puttonyos 500ml paired with Creme Brulee.
3. HAK - 2000 Hetszolo Tokaji Aszú 3 Puttonyos 500ml and hopefully some Roquefort cheese
4. Speedoo - 2003 Chateau Souverain Syrah Port 750ml
5. fdiaz - 2005 Domaine des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Clos de Sainte Catherine 750ml
6. afranke - 2006 Scagliola Moscato d'Asti Primo Bacio 750ml
7. dsapp - '02 Four Vines Zin Port 375ml from Paso Robles and Carlsbad Oblaten Dessert Wafers (chocolate and vanilla, for wine and liqueurs)
8. wife of dsapp - '05 Mike Weir Estate Winery Vidal Icewine 375ml from Canada and a flourless chocolate cake
9. Cesare - 2005 Quady Winery Black Muscat Elysium 375ml & 2006 Quady Winery Black Muscat Elysium 375ml
10. Kttest - N.V. Ramos Pinto Porto White Port 750ml and cream puffs and assorted homemade cookies
11. RPM - Penfolds Late Harvest Riesling
12. wife of RPM - Quady 1980 or 1981 Orange Muscat
13. threemoons - N.V. KEO St. John (Cyprus, Commandaria) 750ml
14. canonizer - 2005 Weingut Josef Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Rottland Riesling Auslese 500ml & 2004 De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Sémillon 375ml
15. loweeel - 2006 Lake Anna Winery Vidal Blanc Essensual ice-wine (10.5% RS) 375ml
16. iByron - 2000 Maydie (Tannat from the Sud-Ouest) 750ml
17. synchrodan - 2004 Bodegas Olivares Jumilla Dulce Monastrell 500ml and an Israeli Muscat
18. gf of synchrodan - 2003 Leonard Kreusch Riesling Beerenauslese 375ml and a Baked Brie containing walnuts and dates and a pecan pie
19. gf of fdiaz - a Flor Sherry (Fino or Manzanilla Fino) or an Oloroso sherry
20. bmckenna - N.V. Alvear Montilla-Moriles Solera 1927 375ml (x2)

REGRETS:

• ThatGuy & ThatGirl
  • Gary V

Things Needed:
1. $10 Door Prize-750ml bottle 1999 Chateau D'Yquem
2. a $5 Secret Santa/Hanukkah Sack/Kwanzaa wrapped gift
3. Please bring one plate per person attending to pair with your selection

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

ME ME ME! I take Spot #14!! Not sure what I will bring yet but I could theoretically do Gluhwein if I have access to a stovetop!

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Ovaltina, my goat. Creme Brulee by Shamer. Those potatoes he did last night were phenomenal. I can hardly wait to sample his Creme Brulee.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Shoot! Thatguy's other half was number 14. She had asked to be included weeks ago.
I am so sorry. I over looked her when translating the list. If she drops out or anyone else threemoons is #1.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Shoot! Thatguy's other half was number 14. She had asked to be included weeks ago.
I am so sorry. I over looked her when translating the list. If she drops out or anyone else threemoons is #1.

The post is fixed. And I even noticed that when I was starting the post and forgot to adjust it before finalizing it.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:The post is fixed. And I even noticed that when I was starting the post and forgot to adjust it before finalizing it.

Thanks Eric.

What were you thinking for your pairing?
The other pairing we came across for tokaji is Roquefort cheese.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Thanks Eric.

What were you thinking for your pairing?
The other pairing we came across for tokaji is Roquefort cheese.

Haven't even thought about it yet as I'm typically not a huge dessert person....though cheese on the other hand....
So may have to try to find some Roquefort cheese unless I come up with something else. Got plenty of time to decide.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons
Krugsters wrote:Shoot! Thatguy's other half was number 14. She had asked to be included weeks ago.

Ah well. Can't win em all. But pretty please let me know asap if a spot does open and I'll get my gluhwein chops together....

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

Whoa! I missed this thread. Sounds like a blast, guys. Sorry to hear it's full.

signed.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Aww smoo. I'd love to be there.

Oh well.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Okay so nobody else has specifically asked to be on the waiting list, so I will.

Please put me second on the waiting list.

And put a guest third.

Thanks,
iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Krugsters

iByron wrote:Okay so nobody else has specifically asked to be on the waiting list, so I will.

Please put me second on the waiting list.

iByron

OK, we all did not realize this tasting would be so popular and in the spirit of the holidays want to include as many as we can.

Please see updated new first post. When it's updated.

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Okay...my wife will bring an '05 Mike Weir Estate Winery Vidal Icewine from Canada and a flourless chocolate cake. I will bring an '02 Four Vines Zin Port from Paso Robles. I'm not sure about the food pairing. Can't wait....

Krugsters

dsapp wrote:Okay...my wife will bring an '05 Mike Weir Estate Winery Vidal Icewine from Canada and a flourless chocolate cake. I will bring an '02 Four Vines Zin Port from Paso Robles. I'm not sure about the food pairing. Can't wait....

Sounds delicious!
The food pairings I can think of for port, traditionally, is Stilton.
I will be in hiding in the bedroom with the flourless chocolate cake...

Cesare

quality posts: 1567 Private Messages Cesare

This is going to be awesome!
L, you can bring a PS port mmmm. And ibyron: a banyuls? I've never had one.
I'm thinking of bringing these 2:
2005 Quady Winery Black Muscat Elysium
N.V. Ramos Pinto Porto White Port
The first one is a 375. I can try to find another one but no guarantees.
The second one is a 750 so that's good.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
Cesare wrote:This is going to be awesome!

We will also be bringing an assortment of cookies. I'll need to come up with something else as well.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

speedoo

I'm thinking of bringing the 2003 Chateau Souverain Syrah Port. This is a woot offering that I have not tried yet. I'll try it before the tasting, but if anyone has an opinion pro or con, please let me know.

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
Cesare wrote:This is going to be awesome!

Cesare, if you'd like I can get you a 750 of the Elysium. Or another 375. My store carries both.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

Unless I decide to bring it to the November tasting, I'll probably bring a 2006 Scagliola Moscato d'Asti Primo Bacio.

I have an idea for the dessert, but I don't know if I can make it work for 14 people. Would you mind if I took over your kitchen for 20 minutes to do some last-minute prep?

Krugsters

afranke wrote:Unless I decide to bring it to the November tasting, I'll probably bring a 2006 Scagliola Moscato d'Asti Primo Bacio.

I have an idea for the dessert, but I don't know if I can make it work for 14 people. Would you mind if I took over your kitchen for 20 minutes to do some last-minute prep?

Sure no problem, feel free to cook up a storm.

I think we're OK on ports now. Although we still need a traditional red port. From Portugal
We seem to be doing well with New World selections too.

We might need to fill in with some German, Austrian, Loire valley & Alsace late harvest selections. They don't necessarily have to be expense German TBA's or BA's but there are a lot of good priced sweet Rieslings as well.
Let's also look to sherries.
I'll add more to the suggestions list tomorrow.

HitAnyKey42

The 1st post has now been updated to reflect the increased attendance list and other items.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Cesare

quality posts: 1567 Private Messages Cesare
afranke wrote:Unless I decide to bring it to the November tasting, I'll probably bring a 2006 Scagliola Moscato d'Asti Primo Bacio.

Hmmm we will need one at the Italy tasting.
I just had this one the other day and it blew me away. It was a Gary pick and wl has it for $14.

Krugsters wrote:I think we're OK on ports now. Although we still need a traditional red port. From Portugal

Someone should get this one so it matches my white one :}
You can find it around the city for $40. ny wine exchange down by wall st has it. I see a bottle on winebid for $30 but it's probably not worth it after commission and shipping.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:The 1st post has now been updated to reflect the increased attendance list and other items.

Since we have more attendees the door prize has lowered to $10.

Also, since I'm that kinda gal and like a party!....
Whadda think about a Secret Santa/Hanukkah sack?
Everyone brings a little wrapped gift costing up to $5.
It goes in a large sack and, well, you know the rest.

Krugsters

Other suggestions to add to the above first post list:

1. An Aussie muscat to compare to the CA one.
2. A Sauternes to compare to a Barsac
3. A German Eiswein to compare to the Canadian one.
4. A Portuguese red port
5. And sherries! The best deals around since no one drinks lovely sherries like they did in the past. IMHO these are the best QPR's in the sweet wine world.

Right now PJ's (www.pjwine.com) has a great price on a Steindorfer Riesling Beerenauslese. 375ml for $11.99. This is a German sweet wine.

They also have a sweet Israeli late harvest Kosher Gewurzt $13.97 for a 375ml.

kttest

Krugsters wrote:Since we have more attendees the door prize has lowered to $10.

Also, since I'm that kinda gal and like a party!....
Whadda think about a Secret Santa/Hanukkah sack?
Everyone brings a little wrapped gift costing up to $5.
It goes in a large sack and, well, you know the rest.

Good idea, that's always fun. We'd be in for it.

- Krista

Krugsters

kttest wrote:Good idea, that's always fun. We'd be in for it.

The gift can be anything (doesn't have to be wine related) and can have a value over $5 but actual money spent on the gift cannot be more than $5.

I am also thinking of purchasing 24- 15 (or 12) ounce wine glasses for this and future tastings. They are standard tasting glasses. This eliminates the need for people to bring their own.
I can also bring them to the other tastings.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

yay

signed.

Krugsters

canonizer wrote:yay

Excellent!

Also, HAK...Shamer's bottle is 500ml (I know, I know...I've updated CT )

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Also, HAK...Shamer's bottle is 500ml (I know, I know...I've updated CT )

Heh, I was thinking that when I looked at it...

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

kttest wrote:Good idea, that's always fun. We'd be in for it.

OK HAK...unless there are any objections ...

please add a $5 Secret Santa/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus Sack wrapped gift to the items that are needed to bring. One per person please. The more interesting, the better. :P

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Krugsters wrote:OK HAK...unless there are any objections ...

please add a $5 Secret Santa/Hanukkah Sack wrapped gift to the items that are needed to bring. One per person please. The more interesting, the better. :P

I love this idea and I'm stealing it for NoVA/DC #8.5...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:OK HAK...unless there are any objections ...

please add a $5 Secret Santa/Hanukkah Sack wrapped gift to the items that are needed to bring. One per person please. The more interesting, the better. :P

What about Kwanzaa?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:What about Kwanzaa?

See edit above.
Sorry I forgot your holiday babe.

Krugsters

I've gone and ordered 24 tasting glasses for the NYC tastings.
I would have preferred 12oz glasses but there were none available. They are 15oz.

No need to bring your own glasses to this tasting. I will tie different colored ribbons on the stems so to differentiate glasses.

If you still want to bring your own glass that's OK too but not necessary anymore.

If you want to check out the glasses the link is below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110299896618

kttest

Krugsters wrote:I've gone and ordered 24 tasting glasses for the NYC tastings.
I would have preferred 12oz glasses but there were none available. They are 15oz.

No need to bring your own glasses to this tasting. I will tie different colored ribbons on the stems so to differentiate glasses.

If you still want to bring your own glass that's OK too but not necessary anymore.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110299896618

Very cool, thanks!

- Krista

Krugsters

kttest wrote:Very cool, thanks!

Hopefully I should have them in hand for the Italy tasting.
Should I bring them?

kttest

Krugsters wrote:Hopefully I should have them in hand for the Italy tasting.
Should I bring them?

We definitely don't have enough glasses for everyone, if you feel like bringing them that'd be great.

- Krista

speedoo

Krugsters wrote:I've gone and ordered 24 tasting glasses for the NYC tastings.

Excellent!

If you'd post your cost, including shipping, I'd propose that we all chip in to reimburse you, since we all benefit.

Krugsters

speedoo wrote:Excellent!

If you'd post your cost, including shipping, I'd propose that we all chip in to reimburse you, since we all benefit.

If you'd like to contribute that's great but not compulsory.
It worked out to 2 bucks a glass.

It was such a great deal I jumped on it. I think the guy who listed it on ebay listed it with the wrong price.
He has the same exact listing for $99 for 24 glasses (see the link above for how much I got them for!)