- 1990 Mirassou Vineyards Petite Sirah
    - 1997 Markham Petite Sirah
    - 1999 Kent Rasmussen Petite Sirah Leeds-Chavez Vineyard
    - 1999 Summers Winery Charbono Villa Andriana
  3. Loweeel +1
  4. jwhite
    - 1994 Mount Veeder Cab Sauv
  5. hershelk
    - 1997 Gundlach Bundschu Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage Reserve Rhinefarm Vineyard
    - 1988 Monbazillac
  6. InShadows
    - 1989 Chateau Haut-Bages Liberal
  7. cjseige
    - Savory Pecan Parmesan & Thyme Shortbreads
    - Birthday Cake
    - toying with bringing Baklava
    - 2005 Chateau Montelena Zinfandel Estate -OR- 2005 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon
  8. Smartheart
    - bread
    - other food
  9. WV69
    - 1999 Chateau Partarrieu
    - Sparkletariat Suprise
  10. wkdpanda
    - 1995 Cab from Field Stone Winery
  11. iByron
    - 1991 Byron Pinot Noir Reserve
    - 1983 Guenoc Victorian Claret
    - water crackers
  12. Christopher (iByron +1)
  13. Tippster
  14. fairnymph
    - Bottle Shock DVD
    - Coq au Vin
    - 2000 Pierre Sparr Alsace Grand Cru Riesling
    - HUGE salad
  15. fairnymph+1
  16. fairnymph+2
  17. nabrunk
    - 1999 Nova Wines Marilyn Merlot
    - hot cheese and artichoke dip
    - fresh bread
  18. nabrunk+1
  19. HaK
    - 1999 Château Grand Mayne
  20. synchrodan
  21. synchrodan +1
  22. SeanOD
    - 1999 Dard et Ribo Crozes-Hermitage
  23. sonadora
    - apple pie
    - a cheese tray
    - pepperoni snacks
  24. Matt
  25. leroydasquirrel
    - 1998 Gustavo Thrace Chardonnay
    - King Cake
  26. tripgrad
    - 1999 Vérité La Muse
  27. kmango
    - tasty vittles (Cheesetique?)
  28. theresa1013
    - 2000 Château Côte Montpezat

MAYBE:
  1. tripgrad+1
  2. InShadows +1
  3. WV69 +1

REGRETS:

last updated: 1/31

CT | | | | | |

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

I also recommend AGAINST the 17th. That's MLK + Inauguration weekend. It will be hell traffic in the inner 'burbs.

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
jwhite6114 wrote:Starting thread for NoVA/DC #9 in Januray.

Dates being discussed so far:

1/17 - Loweeel veto (included here for informational purposes only)
1/24
1/31

I can't on the 24th.

CT

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
hershelk wrote:I can't on the 24th.

24th is also bad for me, but I could probably work around it, unlike 1/17.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

So 1/31 is sounding like the best so far ... a lot of nays on the other dates. Shall we call it?

CT | | | | | |

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
jwhite6114 wrote:So 1/31 is sounding like the best so far ... a lot of nays on the other dates. Shall we call it?

Jwhite, I see that I am bolded on the availability list. I am so very flattered - actually, when I chimed in I was merely expressing a preference for the 1/31 date.

Please know, I am always(!) delighted to host but lacking the palatial digs of Hershelk and Loweel, my hospitality requires the use of the community room...which comes with the universally dreaded $75 rental fee. Although we had an overage from Dark and Delicious, that sum was used to reimburse Hershelk who so graciously obtained the last bottle to fill out our tasting menu.

In the event that such an arrangement would be acceptable, I've taken the liberty of contacting the management office to reserve the community room for 1/31 and for added flexibility, the following weekend (2/07 ) as well, and will cancel whatever date(s) we decide not to use.

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
jwhite6114 wrote:So 1/31 is sounding like the best so far ... a lot of nays on the other dates. Shall we call it?

The next day (2/01) is Super Bowl. I understand that means nothing to many people in our society, but it will force me to be gone that weekend.
So I second the motion for the following Sat. 07Feb.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

jwhite6114

kkv123 wrote:Jwhite, I see that I am bolded on the availability list. I am so very flattered - actually, when I chimed in I was merely expressing a preference for the 1/31 date.

Please know, I am always(!) delighted to host but lacking the palatial digs of Hershelk and Loweel, my hospitality requires the use of the community room...which comes with the universally dreaded $75 rental fee. Although we had an overage from Dark and Delicious, that sum was used to reimburse Hershelk who so graciously obtained the last bottle to fill out our tasting menu.

In the event that such an arrangement would be acceptable, I've taken the liberty of contacting the management office to reserve the community room for 1/31 and for added flexilibility, the following weekend (2/07 ) as well, and will cancel whatever date(s) we decide not to use.

Ahh -- I misunderstood your original post then. But since you now have confirmed your willingness to host (provided everyone is comfortable with the rental fee), I have left your name bolded.

I have also added 2/7 as a contender date.

CT | | | | | |

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

any date so far is good for me.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

If we have it at kkv's place (and I'm perfectly fine with the usage fee!), we could make it a movie night! With that kick-butt plasma TV!

jwhite6114

cjsiege wrote:If we have it at kkv's place (and I'm perfectly fine with the usage fee!), we could make it a movie night! With that kick-butt plasma TV!

Wine-themed movie recomendations:

Sideways
Days of Wine and Roses
Grapes of Wrath

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

jwhite6114 wrote:Wine-themed movie recomendations:

Sideways
Days of Wine and Roses
Grapes of Wrath

Umm...OK, No, and NO!!! Fun movies only need apply! We want people to be happy, not suicidal!

Maybe Bottle Shock will be out on DVD by then?

jwhite6114

cjsiege wrote:Umm...OK, No, and NO!!! Fun movies only need apply! We want people to be happy, not suicidal!

-- I LOVE Days of Wine and Roses -- a GREAT movie. But maybe not one you'd watch while drinking.

CT | | | | | |

tripgrad

Sideways wine-tasting
Blood and Wine wine-dealer
A Good Year vineyard
Mondovino wine business
Rumpole and the Blind Tasting wine-snob

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

cjsiege wrote:Fun movies only need apply! We want people to be happy, not suicidal!

Availability: DVD:Jan 20, 2009

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

jwhite6114

bump

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:bump

bumpy. like cake. like bumpy cake. mmm bumpy cake...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jwhite6114

So movie theme seems popular, so far.

And no new input on dates. I recommend we call it 1/31.

All in favor?

All opposed?

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

jwhite6114 wrote:So movie theme seems popular, so far.

And no new input on dates. I recommend we call it 1/31.

All in favor?

All opposed?

I'm down like a clown, charlie brown. And I'll be bringing a PS, unless the tasting theme precludes PS My winebid shipments arrived. I'm drowning.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

jwhite6114

Loweeel wrote:I'm down like a clown, charlie brown. And I'll be bringing a PS, unless the tasting theme precludes PS My winebid shipments arrived. I'm drowning.

If ever a theme were to preclude PS, I am certain there would be an exception made for you.

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

jwhite6114 wrote:If ever a theme were to preclude PS, I am certain there would be an exception made for you.

We didn't have any at the rose/minerally whites tasting, or at the last one.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cjsiege

*wee little bump*

jwhite6114

cjsiege wrote:*wee little bump*

So no one seems opposed to 1/31. I guess that makes it the date. I'll update the details.

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

jwhite6114 wrote:So no one seems opposed to 1/31. I guess that makes it the date. I'll update the details.

Thank you! I'll also update the semi-weekly.

jwhite6114

So if we're doing a movie during this one, how about that be theme for the wine, too? We can leave it fairly open to interpretation:

Or whatever else you think applies.

CT | | | | | |

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
jwhite6114 wrote:So if we're doing a movie during this one, how about that be theme for the wine, too? We can leave it fairly open to interpretation:

I'll bring fava beans and a nice chianti...

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

kkv123

jwhite6114 wrote:So if we're doing a movie during this one, how about that be theme for the wine, too? We can leave it fairly open to interpretation:

Reading through this thread, it is difficult to believe that nobody has suggested "The Princess Bride." Given the catch phrase of the film ("true love") and the proximity of the tasting to Valentine's Day, everyone could bring a wine that they reeeally like a lot. :-) However, on no account will participants be required to wear anything resembling prom attire.

Or we could go with some football-related film - I've heard a rumor that there will be a big game the next day.

CpprCr8

If not PB, then how about Bottle Shock? It will be out on video by then.

kkv123

A lack of caffeine has surely made me dim-witted.

How can we not consider "Groundhog Day?" We could either bring wines we enjoy over and over again or wines that pair with pork. :-)

CpprCr8

kkv123 wrote:How can we not consider "Groundhog Day?" We could either bring wines we enjoy over and over again or wines that pair with pork. :-)

I though groundhog tastes "just like chicken"!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
InShadows wrote:I'll bring fava beans and a nice chianti...

ARGH. NO. THE MOVIE IS WRONG AND STUPID. THE BOOK WAS CORRECT.

AMARONE PAIRS WITH ORGAN MEATS. CRAPPY CHIANTI DOES NOT.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

jwhite6114

PetiteSirah wrote:ARGH. NO. THE MOVIE IS WRONG AND STUPID. THE BOOK WAS CORRECT.

AMARONE PAIRS WITH ORGAN MEATS. CRAPPY CHIANTI DOES NOT.

I don't think Hannibal recommended the pairing, just said what he consumed.

CT | | | | | |

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
jwhite6114 wrote:I don't think Hannibal recommended the pairing, just said what he consumed.

Nobody but a fool would have something as weak and thin as Chianti with something as powerful as an organ meat. That's why *in the book*, Thomas Harris noted that somebody as refined as Lecter would have only paired an Amarone with organ meats.

They bastardized it for the movie out of fear that people wouldn't even know that Amarone was a wine.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
PetiteSirah wrote:Nobody but a fool would have something as weak and thin as Chianti with something as powerful as an organ meat. That's why *in the book*, Thomas Harris noted that somebody as refined as Lecter would have only paired an Amarone with organ meats.

They bastardized it for the movie out of fear that people wouldn't even know that Amarone was a wine.

Amarone... <drool>

organ meats would make Chianti taste like purple-colored water.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
kkv123 wrote:Reading through this thread, it is difficult to believe that nobody has suggested "The Princess Bride." Given the catch phrase of the film ("true love") and the proximity of the tasting to Valentine's Day, everyone could bring a wine that they reeeally like a lot. :-) However, on no account will participants be required to wear anything resembling prom attire.

I'm a huge PB fan, but I have a tradition of showing it every year after Thanksgiving dinner. Another movie possibility is The Big Night. It is more of a foodie movie then wine, but they do go together. If we did Big Night, the wine theme could be northern italian wines. if we watch Bottle Shock, the wine theme could be a California v. French comparison tasting to mirror the film.

CT

kkv123

hershelk wrote:The Big Night. It is more of a foodie movie then wine, but they do go together. If we did Big Night, the wine theme could be northern italian wines.

I love "Big Night!" But if you've never seen it be warned that, like "Babette's Feast" and "Like Water For Chocolate," watching it inevitably makes people hungry. Unfortunately, the community room does not have a full kitchen, only a microwave. [But I can easily bring a baked pasta dish downstairs.]

However (assuming construction has been completed!) if we are 10 people or less and you are all agreeable, we can squeeze into my little house. It has a full kitchen, albeit a small one. Alas, I have no mighty electronic set-up like hershelk. But if you can make do with a 50" plasma, we can have dinner and a movie and wine...and a nice cozy evening all around.

cjsiege

JW - would you please renumber to #10? I've renumbered 8.5 to 9 at the request of unimaginative, overly competitive souls out there in NoVA-land.

Thank you!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
jwhite6114 wrote:So no one seems opposed to 1/31. I guess that makes it the date. I'll update the details.

That's my b-day weekend. Put me down as a maybe as I'm not certain where I'll be celebrating.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

iByron wrote:That's my b-day weekend. Put me down as a maybe as I'm not certain where I'll be celebrating.

I certainly hope it's with us! I'll bake!

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Saw that you all were interested in a movie.

Bottle Shock has a release date of 1/20/09. Just in the nick of time for a wine movie.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!