cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

In this holiday time of frenzied “last minute shopping”, “Oggling my goat? what do I get the In-Laws”, “how do I put together a bicycle”, “I forgot Auntie Mary-Lou”, “you go to Wal-mart and I’ll go to Toys-R-Us” – *whew* – it’s time to refocus, re-center, and decompress for a couple of hours.

To that end, we present – NoVA/DC #9: A Break From The Holiday Madness
DETAILS:
DATE:
12/20
TIME: 7:00PM (EDT)
HOST: Loweeel and his Wootmas Shrubbery

For this one, let’s deemphasize the critical tasting and emphasize the food and friends! Everyone bring a FOOD that says to you “I AM the holidays!” Then focus on the wine. If we only have one bottle for every 2 or 3 people, that will be fine! Let’s take the time to have some great conversation!

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. sprcr05
  2. Cheron
  3. hershelk
  4. tripgrad
  5. InShadows
  6. Loweeel
MAYBE:
  1. Lasgar
  2. Lasgar's +1
REGRETS:
  • kkv123
  • CJ
  • WV69
  • WV69's +1
WINES & LIBATIONS:
  • Peppermint Cocoa - Cheron
  • Mumm Napa 2003 Blanc de Blancs - tripgrad
  • Petite Syrah of some sort- Loweeel
  • Mulled Mead - Loweel
FOOD:
  • Something that says to you “the holidays aren’t complete without THIS!”
  • Cheron's Special Holiday Soup
  • InShadows' Food That Screams "I'm InShadows' Food!"
  • sprcr's caramel apple pie from Hancock MD
SUPPLIES
  • Nametags: Loweeel
  • plates: **OPEN**
  • napkins:
  • utensils:
  • paper: Loweeel
  • pens: Loweeel
THINGS TO BRING
  • Wootmas Tree Gift ($10-15)
  • Wine glass
  • Comfy Slippers

last updated: 12/14

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

WOO HOO! But, the thing that says "HOLIDAYS!" to me is peppermint hot cocoa... home made of course! With a little candy cane in it and whipped cream... mmm holidays...

Actually, I've got this kickass soup that has kind of become tradition for holidays. Hm... I'm gonna have to think about this. And find a kitchen to use. And a grocery store to go shopping at...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cjsiege

cheron98 wrote:WOO HOO! But, the thing that says "HOLIDAYS!" to me is peppermint hot cocoa... home made of course! With a little candy cane in it and whipped cream... mmm holidays...

Actually, I've got this kickass soup that has kind of become tradition for holidays. Hm... I'm gonna have to think about this. And find a kitchen to use. And a grocery store to go shopping at...

If you are visiting the sister (who shall remain nameless), I'm just across the river. Feel free to come use my kitchen!

EDIT: who says we can't do cocoa? WIth a little peppermint schnapps in it???

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:If you are visiting the sister (who shall remain nameless), I'm just across the river. Feel free to come use my kitchen!

EDIT: who says we can't do cocoa? WIth a little peppermint schnapps in it???

*giggles*. If he allows it, I'll probably end up staying with Loweeel. Probably see the sis for a day, but I'm not gonna -stay- with her. That house is KEE-RAZY. kkv also mentioned her place could be available for me That area is fast becoming a second home for me!

COCOA! And SOUP! It would actually probably be easiest to use the kitchen of whoever the host ends up being, if at all possible. The ingredients transport so much easier than the whole.

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

In NoVA, we have the best woot wineaux in the country!
Count me in; bringing Mumm Napa sparkling.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." --- John Maynard Keynes

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

you want food... I think I can handle food. I'll make something that is just screaming my name.. count me in.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

tripgrad wrote:In NoVA, we have the best woot wineaux in the country!
Count me in; bringing Mumm Napa sparkling.

If you tell me which color you'll be bringing, I'll bring the other one! No clue what food I'll bring, but there's plenty of time.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I'll probably be there. I'll bring some food and some wine.

and pads, nametags, and pens.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cjsiege

Wow! Thread's not even 3 hours old, and we've already got 7 attendees, 3 confirmed wines (with more unconfirmed), 2 confirmed foods (with more unconfirmed), nametags, pens, and paper! We really DO have the bestest wineaux!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
cjsiege wrote:Wow! Thread's not even 3 hours old, and we've already got 7 attendees, 3 confirmed wines (with more unconfirmed), 2 confirmed foods (with more unconfirmed), nametags, pens, and paper! We really DO have the bestest wineaux!

I'll bring the Royal Oporto 1994 Port. Bad house, great vintage.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

WV69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WV69

Holy mother of wine! I've never seen an event take shape so damn fast! I go to a hockey game, and it's already planned. I'm suprised you didn't already hold the event...with pictures posted! This group does NOT mess around (which I already knew, but just sayin'). Ya gotta respect that.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
tripgrad wrote:Count me in; bringing Mumm Napa sparkling.

cjsiege wrote:If you tell me which color you'll be bringing, I'll bring the other one!

Why must you taunt me so!? So sorry that I'm unable to join you - I'l be in NYC. But as a devoted member of the sparklitariat, I dutifully promise to pop a cork and toast you all from there!

WV69

kkv123 wrote:Why must you taunt me so!? So sorry that I'm unable to join you - I'l be in NYC. But as a devoted member of the sparklitariat, I dutifully promise to pop a cork and toast you all from there!

Geez...and I have a bottle of the Mumm Blanc de Noir just sittin' there, waiting to be tasted! Just sayin'!

cjsiege

I was just thinking...(yes, an unusual event, I know)...In honor of our "taking a break" theme - how about everyone bring a pair of comfy slippers to wear? I was going to say to wear comfy clothes, but I don't know how well the footie-pajamas will go over with WV or hershelk.

cjsiege

kkv123 wrote:Why must you taunt me so!? So sorry that I'm unable to join you - I'll be in NYC. But as a devoted member of the sparklitariat, I dutifully promise to pop a cork and toast you all from there!

*sniff* *sigh* You will be missed!

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:Wow! Thread's not even 3 hours old, and we've already got 7 attendees, 3 confirmed wines (with more unconfirmed), 2 confirmed foods (with more unconfirmed), nametags, pens, and paper! We really DO have the bestest wineaux!

It's because it's for me I'm just that popular!

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:I was just thinking...(yes, an unusual event, I know)...In honor of our "taking a break" theme - how about everyone bring a pair of comfy slippers to wear? I was going to say to wear comfy clothes, but I don't know how well the footie-pajamas will go over with WV or hershelk.

I love this idea!

WV69

cjsiege wrote:I was just thinking...(yes, an unusual event, I know)...In honor of our "taking a break" theme - how about everyone bring a pair of comfy slippers to wear? I was going to say to wear comfy clothes, but I don't know how well the footie-pajamas will go over with WV or hershelk.

In my book, ultimately casual would be welcomed and encouraged, if not required!

cheron98

WV69 wrote:In my book, ultimately casual would be welcomed and encouraged, if not required!

Pajama party!!!

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

Footie-pajamas, be still my beating heart. Not being a PJ guy, it would get a bit obscene if I came in my everyday sleep wear, but I'm sure I could figure something out. Who knows what will happen once the cocoa and schnapps starts pouring freely. I'll find something appropriate to bring for food and wine in time. I have a few bottles that have been sitting around for quite a long time it might be time to open up.

Cheron you may not take the cellar, but you are free to come by and ogle it whenever you'd like.

CT

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
hershelk wrote:Footie-pajamas, be still my beating heart. Not being a PJ guy, it would get a bit obscene if I came in my everyday sleep wear, but I'm sure I could figure something out. Who knows what will happen once the cocoa and schnapps starts pouring freely. I'll find something appropriate to bring for food and wine in time. I have a few bottles that have been sitting around for quite a long time it might be time to open up.

We can put you into some satin PJs and a smoking jacket and call you Hef!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

kkv123

hershelk wrote:Footie-pajamas, be still my beating heart.

Satin PJs and smoking jacket I can imagine. But if hershelk is going to show up in footie-pajamas, I'm changing my train! And will show up with nothing less than a 3L of France's finest bubbles. Some things have to be seen to be believed.

cheron98

kkv123 wrote:Satin PJs and smoking jacket I can imagine. But if hershelk is going to show up in footie-pajamas, I'm changing my train! And will show up with nothing less than a 3L of France's finest bubbles. Some things have to be seen to be believed.

You should change your train anyway! What's one more day?

hershelk

kkv123 wrote:Satin PJs and smoking jacket I can imagine. But if hershelk is going to show up in footie-pajamas, I'm changing my train! And will show up with nothing less than a 3L of France's finest bubbles. Some things have to be seen to be believed.

Now where do I get really big footy pajamas.

CT

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
hershelk wrote:Now where do I get really big footy pajamas.

Maybe here???

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

WV69

Hell, I'll even chip in if that's the case!!

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
cjsiege wrote:If you tell me which color you'll be bringing, I'll bring the other one! No clue what food I'll bring, but there's plenty of time.

OK, will do. I think I've got 3 different bottles, but will have to wait to see what's left after T'giving.

I don't have footed pajamas, but I do have silk.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

kkv123

Sorry this is so rapid-fire, but my boss is out and I've got a tasking to complete by noon...

cheron98 wrote:You should change your train anyway! What's one more day?

Depends on the day, I guess. :-) A note from my dearest sis confirms two of my favorite things in the works: tea at Lady Mendl's and tickets to the Balanchine Nutcracker. Now THAT'S a day! If you ever have the chance to do either, hop on pop! Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Which means that somebody is going to have to give up his dream of the perfect pair of footy-pajamas. Hershelk, I know this will come as a crushing! blow after all the searching you've been doing for just the right color, but you're just gonna have to man up and make do with silk.

CJ, two words for you: sparkling sake. In particular, Marumoto Hou Hou Shu Sake. Had it last night. Fabulous! If you can't find it and would like to try it, let me know and I'll set you up.

Last but not least, any of you fashionistas know a good milliner? I have an event that requires something absolutely spectacular, and all I'm finding is boring X 2. I'm getting desperate out here...

Over and out!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

bump

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

kkv123 wrote:CJ, two words for you: sparkling sake. In particular, Marumoto Hou Hou Shu Sake. Had it last night. Fabulous! If you can't find it and would like to try it, let me know and I'll set you up.

OK, I'll bite. Where would such a delicacy be found?

kkv123 wrote:Last but not least, any of you fashionistas know a good milliner? I have an event that requires something absolutely spectacular, and all I'm finding is boring X 2. I'm getting desperate out here...

PM for you, dear!

kkv123

cjsiege wrote:PM for you, dear!

I found the sparkling sake at Balduccis. If you can't find it elsewhere, it would be my pleasure to get one for you. My gift to you, as the Sparklitariat trailblazer. In the interest of expanding your repertoire, I think this is something you should try.

As for the PM, I never got it. Guess the code monkeys drifted off to sleep. Try again?

cjsiege

kkv123 wrote:As for the PM, I never got it. Guess the code monkeys drifted off to sleep. Try again?

If you didn't get THIS one, well...I'll just have to dust off you phone number and give you a call!

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:If you didn't get THIS one, well...I'll just have to dust off you phone number and give you a call!

*Gasp* Oh noes, not the PHONE!! Isn't it sad how we've become so anti-phone. At least, anti-voice, perhaps... texting all the way!!

Oh, ringtone-bells, ringtone-bells...texting all the way... la la laaa... take the coffee away...

Lasgar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lasgar

I can probably make this one but put me down as a maybe for now. I will know for sure around mind November.

cheron98

So Krugsters had an idea in the NYC tasting thread and I'm stealing it. How about a secret-Santa kind of thing? Like a fun little $5 - $10 gift to give out. Or maybe for a game of 'Dirty Santa' (not THAT kind of dirty... sheesh). Bring in a generic gift within the price range, and hilarity ensues... if you're interested I'll put up more detail about that.

hershelk

cheron98 wrote:So Krugsters had an idea in the NYC tasting thread and I'm stealing it. How about a secret-Santa kind of thing? Like a fun little $5 - $10 gift to give out. Or maybe for a game of 'Dirty Santa' (not THAT kind of dirty... sheesh). Bring in a generic gift within the price range, and hilarity ensues... if you're interested I'll put up more detail about that.

We always did something, not sure what it is called, where everyone brings a gift and gets a number. Then in order the first person picks a gift. The next person can pick a gift or steal one that has already been picked from someone else ... and so on. Those were always a lot of fun. I'd be up for that.

CT

InShadows

hershelk wrote:We always did something, not sure what it is called, where everyone brings a gift and gets a number. Then in order the first person picks a gift. The next person can pick a gift or steal one that has already been picked from someone else ... and so on. Those were always a lot of fun. I'd be up for that.

I've done something similar but there was a limit to the number of times a gift could be stolen.. say two times. and the first person who picked at the end gets to choose if they would like to keep the gift they have or another person's gift unless it's been "stolen" x number of times already.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cheron98

hershelk wrote:We always did something, not sure what it is called, where everyone brings a gift and gets a number. Then in order the first person picks a gift. The next person can pick a gift or steal one that has already been picked from someone else ... and so on. Those were always a lot of fun. I'd be up for that.

That'd be "Dirty Santa" Hellishly fun!

cheron98

InShadows wrote:I've done something similar but there was a limit to the number of times a gift could be stolen.. say two times. and the first person who picked at the end gets to choose if they would like to keep the gift they have or another person's gift unless it's been "stolen" x number of times already.

Ok I'm gonna dig up the rules and post them up here (or a link to it) so people can say yea or nay to the idea

Here's the rules

InShadows

cheron98 wrote:Ok I'm gonna dig up the rules and post them up here (or a link to it) so people can say yea or nay to the idea

Here's the rules

nahh we need a good flowchart

not sure if I like it ending with the last person. It makes it a little unfair for player 1 who just gets to choose a gift unless their gift is later stolen, usually by the second person and it can't be stolen back so they have to pick a new gift.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings