Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

My wife and I are going to be in the Sonoma area the last week of October and would like to hear from other wooters who've been out there what wineries were among the more wooter-friendly and what sort of conversations (if any) you had with the wineries before you went a-knockin.'

I know there have been a number of one-off threads about this, but I thought having one thread would be great. If one already exists, please point me to it!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1694 Private Messages Cesare

rpm tour

My top 3:
Wellington (Sonoma)
Ty Caton (Sonoma)
Corison (Napa)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
Corrado wrote:My wife and I are going to be in the Sonoma area the last week of October and would like to hear from other wooters who've been out there what wineries were among the more wooter-friendly and what sort of conversations (if any) you had with the wineries before you went a-knockin.'

I know there have been a number of one-off threads about this, but I thought having one thread would be great. If one already exists, please point me to it!

Ty Caton, Iron Horse, Dry Creek, and Corison were all very friendly. Liz at Mumm Napa, though, went above and beyond.

Essentially, I let WD know I'd be in the area, where I wanted to go, and he hooked us up. The only reason I let him know was because of the group size.

But just about any of the people who sold on woot will give you VIP treatment; it just never hurts to call a day in advance.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Cesare wrote:rpm tour

My top 3:
Wellington (Sonoma)
Ty Caton (Sonoma)
Corison (Napa)

Also, day after the tour, Scott Harvey (Napa)

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Cesare

quality posts: 1694 Private Messages Cesare
ddeuddeg wrote:Also, day after the tour, Scott Harvey (Napa)

That's true, I absolutely love Scott Harvey. I was trying to keep it a top 3, but yeah there are so many. Honorable mention go to:
Dry Creek (Sonoma)
Seghesio (Sonoma)
Little (Sonoma)
Iron Horse (Sonoma)
Buena Vista (Sonoma)
Mumm (Napa)
Robert Craig (Napa)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

message me and I can get you into some places in Napa.. they don't know wine.woot but it's still a very enjoyable experience =).

ddeuddeg

Cesare wrote:That's true, I absolutely love Scott Harvey. I was trying to keep it a top 3, but yeah there are so many. Honorable mention go to:
Dry Creek (Sonoma)
Seghesio (Sonoma)
Little (Sonoma)
Iron Horse (Sonoma)
Buena Vista (Sonoma)
Mumm (Napa)
Robert Craig (Napa)

Really, overall a bunch of terrific wineries on that tour, and one that was "interesting."

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

rpm

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rpm
Corrado wrote:My wife and I are going to be in the Sonoma area the last week of October and would like to hear from other wooters who've been out there what wineries were among the more wooter-friendly and what sort of conversations (if any) you had with the wineries before you went a-knockin.'

Always dangerous to give a list because you'll leave someone worthy out, but my very short list - assuming you have 2 days and you're not as crazy as we were in doing up to 5 wineries a day - for Sonoma area would be:

1. Wellington - hands down your most important stop as a wooter. Let Peter know you're coming.

2. Buena Vista - historic and the wines will amaze you if you can taste the reserve wines.

You may well want to go to Ty Caton. He's really a great guy, but I'm in the minority on his wines, most wooters love them and I don't.

Seriously consider Deuce for dinner, we had a fabulous time there.

Then for the next day, you have to choose whether you'll head over to Napa, or into upper Sonoma County, I think it would be hard to do both.

If you go Napa, Corison is an indispensible stop, followed closely by Scott Harvey and Napa Mumm. Expect to spend a lot at Corison and be very happy you did.

If you go Upper Sonoma, I think I'd try to hit Iron Horse, Dry Creek and Pedroncelli (don't overlook them, the wines are always excellent value for money).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Won't repeat recommendations already here. All are good. I found Little an enjoyable stop. They were appointment only, so you have to call. And it only takes a little coaxing to get Rich to play his Chapman Stick. A pretty unique instrument. He is real close to Wellington, so a fun stop.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

Sorry to bust out a big name, but, St. Francis is always a great winery to stop in at...not sure if they are overtly "friendly", but, they have some great wines..

Also, Benziger's Imagery Winery is great to stop in and taste some odd wines...I really like that place because they are open a bit later than the other winery's...we always stop in there after shutting down one of the others..not a lot of wineries that offer Malbec, Mourvèdre, Lagrein, and a PS...
Their Dragonsleaf Red is one of my wife's favorites...

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Cesare wrote:rpm tour

My top 3:
Wellington (Sonoma)
Ty Caton (Sonoma)
Corison (Napa)

Yes indeed! And don't forget Little Vineyards.

CT | | | | | |

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

Have not been to Sonoma, only Napa and Carneros area

•Acacia if you like Pinot
•Rombauer + Frank Family if you love Zin, Cab, Pinot- and Rombauer has the best Zin Port on the planet. Both places offered 10+ tastes, and pulled out special stuff once I said I would buy and/or join wine club. Both also have amazing Carneros Chard's, and I am not a chard fan, except for these.
•Schramsberg - hands down best property and cave tour in all of Napa; consistently rated best sparkling wine in USA

•Personally, we were not big fans of the Corison experience - small tasting area, expensive wines, nothing we thought worth the money. I have loved the woot Corison we have had, but would have traded that stop for something else if I could. If you don't have a lot of time, I would pass on this. Dozens of better places to go. Sorry Corison! The guy working there was very nice however.

My Napa rambling thread:
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=2271308

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder

Should I start separate threads themed for
a) Temecula
b) Santa Barbara area
?

DW and I, plus another couple, will be out that way in November. We have a week,
split between the two areas.

Dude... wait, what?

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
LoonBoarder wrote:Should I start separate threads themed for
a) Temecula
b) Santa Barbara area
?

DW and I, plus another couple, will be out that way in November. We have a week,

Yes, split. I did 2 day 20 winery winter barrel tasting in temecula last Jan, will give you my notes if you start a thread

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

On a separate but related note, if you prefer not to worry about drinking and driving I highly recommend David Rasmussen at Eclectic Tour. Twice now my fellow wine.wooters and I have engaged his services, and thought that he added to our overall experience.

clayfu

LoonBoarder wrote:Should I start separate threads themed for
a) Temecula
b) Santa Barbara area
?

avoid temecula like a plague. Except for probably Palumbo Family Winery, I was intrigued by their wines.

clayfu

Corrado

Check out Pride Mountain, you gotta book a reservation in advance but it's by far one of the most gorgeous properties out there, and of course they always make high quality juice.

I'd also suggest Lewelling vineyards, they make only two cabs,

Realm wines is also crazy, they share a wine making facility with Chateau Boswell and if you're lucky you can try both wineries wines. Realm's Beckstoffer cab is probably pounds for pound one of the best wine wines out there especially at the price.

If you like Cab Franc you gotta check out Trespass. By far the best cab franc in the Napa Valley right now and well priced at $42.

contact me for their contact info. (for the top 3)

If youlike more rhone style wines check out Outpost (a bit farther from those i've mentioned here). Thomas Browne makes a killer grenache. Probably one of the most eye opening grenaches you'll find anywhere.

ddeuddeg

clayfu wrote:avoid temecula like a plague. Except for probably Palumbo Family Winery, I was intrigued by their wines.

Clay, you have to stop beating around the bush, and tell us how you really feel.

clayfu

ddeuddeg wrote:Clay, you have to stop beating around the bush, and tell us how you really feel.

it costs around $10-15 per tasting at Temecula, you end up wasting $50+ on Manos, the Hands of Fate wine. WHy bother?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
tkastorff wrote:•Personally, we were not big fans of the Corison experience - small tasting area, expensive wines, nothing we thought worth the money. I have loved the woot Corison we have had, but would have traded that stop for something else if I could. If you don't have a lot of time, I would pass on this. Dozens of better places to go. Sorry Corison! The guy working there was very nice however.

Yes, it should be pointed out that those of us on the RPM tour, who uniformly loved Corison, did not have the "standard" Corison tasting. We had close to 30 people with us at the Corison stop, I believe, and we had lunch there. Cathy Corison hosted us personally and gave us a tour and a vertical tasting of her 1996, 1997, and 1998 Cab Sauv (as well as a Gwertz, Rose, and the 2004 Kronos Vineyard Cab). It was a fabulous experience, if not typical.

The Corison tasting room is hardly a tasting room at all; rather a table setup in a barrel room (think small warehouse). LOVE the wines, though!!

CT | | | | | |

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks all for the feedback so far! I was specifically looking to visit some of the wineries that we've seen here who have been some of our more cooperative participants. The winemakers & staff have given an awful lot to us here and I'd like to get a chance to visit 'em and spend some money in their tasting room.

Most of the wineries who sell here are likely on the fence between this being a sales channel and a marketing channel. I'd like to give some of the better places a bit of ROI and encouragement to keep comin' around. Wellington & Ty Caton (and Kent, if he's so inclined) are examples. Fess Parker, Hall, and Roshambo are in the other camp.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

If you are going to St. Francis and you like whites, make sure to stop at Landmark. They have fantastic whites and a distinct style so it is a fun tasting experience. Of course, Chateau St. Jean is also wonderful. Not woot wines (yet), but still great places.

clayfu

if wine.woot has the chateau st jean Cinq Cépages i'd be all over it like white on rice

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm
Corrado wrote:My wife and I are going to be in the Sonoma area the last week of October

What a coincidence, Corr! Hubby and I are going to be there the first half of that week as well. Where are you staying? We should definitely meet up for a dinner or wine tasting at least once!

more than enough wine.woots!

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex

One winery in Napa never mentioned but should be is Stony Hill. Wonderful chards! This is truly an oldy but a goody. You need to call ahead.

The views, the history and the people are well worth visiting. The winery has been on Spring Mountain since the 40's. It's truly a hidden gem. Plan on spending some time there. When I was there with my wife we tasted in their dining room of their magnificent home.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
clayfu wrote:if wine.woot has the chateau st jean Cinq Cépages i'd be all over it like white on rice

At Epcot Food and Wine 2 years ago they were there pouring Cinq. 2002 and 2003 I believe. No one there(except yours truly) was drinking it. The rep and I went through umm well It was good.
I doubt woot could ever get that. But if so and at a 30-40% discount; CASES my way

clayfu

ERMD wrote:At Epcot Food and Wine 2 years ago they were there pouring Cinq. 2002 and 2003 I believe. No one there(except yours truly) was drinking it. The rep and I went through umm well It was good.
I doubt woot could ever get that. But if so and at a 30-40% discount; CASES my way

costco has them pretty often at $4x. I just got a few at $38 through a friend.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
clayfu wrote:costco has them pretty often at $4x. I just got a few at $38 through a friend.

GREAT BUY!

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
clayfu wrote:costco has them pretty often at $4x. I just got a few at $38 through a friend.

I just bought the 2004 for 31.50 through echelon wine.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

mlhelm wrote:What a coincidence, Corr! Hubby and I are going to be there the first half of that week as well. Where are you staying? We should definitely meet up for a dinner or wine tasting at least once!

Staying at the Marriott Renaissance Resort in Sonoma (yay Marriott points!).

Any plans for wineries on Tuesday?

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm
Corrado wrote:Staying at the Marriott Renaissance Resort in Sonoma (yay Marriott points!).

Any plans for wineries on Tuesday?

Not yet. We're considering staying at the Trojan Horse Inn in Sonoma, just because of the woot! connection, and we're still trying to iron out where we're going to be and when. I think the current plan has us in Napa on Tuesday. This trip is actually just now taking shape; we weren't even sure we were going until this week, when I put in my notice at my job. No time like unemployment to take a trip, at least that's my perspective on the situation! ;)

more than enough wine.woots!

clayfu

MaxAlex wrote:I just bought the 2004 for 31.50 through echelon wine.

yep same place. i just rounded up , i paid forall the shipping for a case.

polarbear22

mlhelm wrote:Not yet. We're considering staying at the Trojan Horse Inn in Sonoma, just because of the woot! connection, and we're still trying to iron out where we're going to be and when. I think the current plan has us in Napa on Tuesday. This trip is actually just now taking shape; we weren't even sure we were going until this week, when I put in my notice at my job. No time like unemployment to take a trip, at least that's my perspective on the situation! ;)

We loved the Trojan Horse. Pricey, but really a great place and the hosts were wonderful. Beds were comfortable. Great breakfast with little need for lunch. And a port bar at night.

We spent two nights there and a few nights earlier in Santa Rosa. Worked great, and kept the costs reasonable.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

rpm

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rpm
MaxAlex wrote:One winery in Napa never mentioned but should be is Stony Hill. Wonderful chards! This is truly an oldy but a goody. You need to call ahead.

The views, the history and the people are well worth visiting. The winery has been on Spring Mountain since the 40's. It's truly a hidden gem. Plan on spending some time there. When I was there with my wife we tasted in their dining room of their magnificent home.

I remember Fred and Eleanor - lovely people. They used to make one of the very best Chardonnays in California.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

polarbear22 wrote:We loved the Trojan Horse. Pricey, but really a great place and the hosts were wonderful. Beds were comfortable. Great breakfast with little need for lunch. And a port bar at night.

We spent two nights there and a few nights earlier in Santa Rosa. Worked great, and kept the costs reasonable.

If I didn't have enough points to get a cottage at the Marriott resort, we probably would have stayed there. I figure the less money we spend on getting/staying there, the more we have to spend on eating/drinking/buying there.

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib

And we're heading to the Napa/Sonoma area in the first week of November. I was looking for exactly a thread like this.

Soooooooooo, let's talk about this some more...

Where to stay? Napa? Sonoma? Anyone have specific properties that they love? One major requirement: We are traveling with our well-behaved dog.

Where to drink? Call ahead and identify as wooter necessary for a party of 2? (3 if the puppy is invited.) I'm such a Wellington fanboy, that is a given. But where else? I tend to prefer the smaller operations.

Where to eat? I'm sure we'll do a few splurge meals, so what are the standouts? Everyday-favorite recommendations also needed. French Laundry is booked (of course).

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
Walstib wrote:And we're heading to the Napa/Sonoma area in the first week of November. I was looking for exactly a thread like this.

Soooooooooo, let's talk about this some more...

Where to stay? Napa? Sonoma? Anyone have specific properties that they love? One major requirement: We are traveling with our well-behaved dog.

Where to drink? Call ahead and identify as wooter necessary for a party of 2? (3 if the puppy is invited.) I'm such a Wellington fanboy, that is a given. But where else? I tend to prefer the smaller operations.

Where to eat? I'm sure we'll do a few splurge meals, so what are the standouts? Everyday-favorite recommendations also needed. French Laundry is booked (of course).

DO NOT miss Vincent Arroyo in Calistoga (and they're dog-friendly!) Calling ahead never hurts at most places, especially bringing a dog with you.

You also have to go to Ty Caton, just up the road from Wellington. And saying you're a wooter at Iron Horse? Wow. Just wow.

Try to hit the places that made the wines you like most.

For the splurge meal, my parents recommend Cyrus in healdsburg, which they like better than French Laundry.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

polarbear22

Loweeel wrote:DO NOT miss Vincent Arroyo in Calistoga (and they're dog-friendly!) Calling ahead never hurts at most places, especially bringing a dog with you.

You also have to go to Ty Caton, just up the road from Wellington. And saying you're a wooter at Iron Horse? Wow. Just wow.

Try to hit the places that made the wines you like most.

For the splurge meal, my parents recommend Cyrus in healdsburg, which they like better than French Laundry.

Our favorite meal was Generals Daughter in Sonoma. Great wine/food pairing menu. Did not get to French Laundry.

On the rpm tour, Deuce in Sonoma and Tra Vigne in Napa were both real good.

My Cellar

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
polarbear22 wrote:Our favorite meal was Generals Daughter in Sonoma. Great wine/food pairing menu. Did not get to French Laundry.

On the rpm tour, Deuce in Sonoma and Tra Vigne in Napa were both real good.

Sadly, the General's Daughter is no more. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/06/FD5M121F2H.DTL

clayfu

Ad Hoc is pretty damn good in Napa. Family style meal.