+ Add a Comment

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

List finalized 11/16/08. This tasting was a great one!

Now that we're done trekking and Spain was awesome, we need to start thinking about Italy! Cesare and I will be hosting Italian Wines on Saturday, November 15th.

So if you are interested start letting us know and if you want to participate in a door prize.

THEME: Italian Wines
DATE: Sat, Nov 15th
HOSTS: kttest and il Cesare
TIME: 3pm

BOTTLE SELECTION THOUGHTS:
per Cesare: "With only 10 people so far we really need to concentrate on the main Italian wines otherwise we won't be able to cover the country properly. Spain was such a success because we had a good turnout and 18 wines. We're going to need at least 15 for this tasting."

UPDATE 10/24: Here is a list of Italian Wines I came up with. Some are more important than others but we should try to get most of the reds and 2 or 3 of the whites. They are listed by region, roughly from north to south. Varietal name in parenthesis where appropriate.

REDS:

Piedmont:
Barolo (Nebbiolo) –- Cesare
Barbaresco (Nebbiolo) -- kttest
Barbera -- synchrodan & IByron (from pa)
Dolcetto -- ThatGuy314

Tuscany:
Brunello di Montalcino (Sangiovese) – bmckenna
Chianti (Sangiovese) -- Threemoons
Super Tuscan (Sangiovese blend) -- Krugsters
Vino Nobile di Montepulciano -- fairnymph

Veneto:
Valpolicella (Corvina) - Cesare

Umbria:
Sagrantino di Montefalco

Abruzzo:
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo -- bmckenna

Molise:
Home-made direct from Larino –- Rita

Puglia:
Salice Salentino (Negroamaro)
Primitivo (aka Zinfandel) -- afranke

Basilicata/Campania:
Aglianico -- John

Sicily:
Nero d'Avola -- synchrodan's gf

WHITES:

Friuli-Venezia Giulia:
Tocai Friulano
Pinot Grigio -- HAK

Piedmont:
Gavi - Non-wooter #1
Arneis
Moscato

Marche:
Verdicchio - Non-wooter #2

Abruzzo:
Trebbiano

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
1. Cesare - 2003 Giovanni Manzone Barolo Le Gramolere and 2005 Giuseppe Campagnola Valpolicella Classico Superiore Caterina Zardini
2. kttest - 2004 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco and 2006 Franco M. Martinetti Gavi
3, 4. Krugsters/ Shamer - 1998 Lanciola Terricci Supertuscan
5. HAK* - 2005 Fantinel Friuli Grave Pinot Grigio Borgo Tesis, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Friuli Grave
6. Threemoons -- 2006 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale
7. ThatGuy314 - 2006 Francesco, Rinaldi, & Figli Dolcetto d'Alba
8. synchrodan - Barbera from Piemonte – Poderi Di Luigi Einaudi (2004) and N.V. Antinori Tignanello Grappa
9. synchrodan's gf - "I Sicani" Nero d'Avola della Sicilia IGT 2003
10, 11. John +1 - 2003 Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici Aglianico
12, 13. Dean + Kris- 2003 Moncaro Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Vigna Novalli
14. bmckenna -- 2003 Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Riserva and 2002 Fattoria Scopone Brunello di Montalcino
15, 16. Canonizer +1 -- 2001 Michele Chiarlo Monferrato Countacc!
17. IByron - 2005 Va La Vineyards Barbera and 2006 Cantine Sant'Agata Ruchè di Castagnole Monferrato 'Na Vota
18. IByron's +1 - Caprari Reggiano
19. fairnymph -- 2004 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
20. afranke - 2006 Flaio Salento
21. ThatGirl - 2007 Sella Coste della Sesia Majoli Nebbiolo Rosé
22. Rita - 2007 Braida Moscato d'Asti Vigna Senza Nome and home-made white and red wine from Larino, IT

REGRETS:
Speedo (11/22 only)
fdiaz01
InShadows
krislopresto & gf
Loweeel - either 2003 Cantina di Venosa Aglianico del Vulture Vignali, Basilicata, Aglianico del Vulture or Coviv '03 Carpe Diem, Basilicata, Aglianico del Vulture
RPM &. Mrs. RPM
Everyone else who misses this one

Things Needed:
1. We can munch on Italian delicasies of course!
2. $5 per person for a door prize -- 2004 Elio Altare Barolo won by Krugsters

Food Items so far:
kttest/Cesare: Canneloni
Krugsters/Shamer: 2 cheeses, parma, boar sausage soaked in wine, and another sliced meat
synchrodan & gf: lasagna & cannoli
threemoons: pasta with pesto
fairnymph: tiramisu
afranke: bruschetta
bmckenna: bread
thatguy314: goodies from Arthur Ave.
HAK: Salad

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Heh, so you beat me to it I see. That's what I get for slacking.
So you get to take over the duties this time of maintaining the first post. And for that, you can add me to the list. Right now I believe either day works for me.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

We're in for the door prize (how much?) and the 15th works for us.
I can even begin to choose for this since we have so much Italian wine in the cellar. If you wanna take a peek and offer up any suggestions, feel free.

kttest

Krugsters wrote:We're in for the door prize (how much?) and the 15th works for us.
I can even begin to choose for this since we have so much Italian wine in the cellar. If you wanna take a peek and offer up any suggestions, feel free.

Great! As for the door prize, I guess $10 a person would be sufficient?

- Krista

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Heh, so you beat me to it I see. That's what I get for slacking.
So you get to take over the duties this time of maintaining the first post. And for that, you can add me to the list. Right now I believe either day works for me.

I figured you were still recovering from hosting

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

I can also make my choice for wine pretty much now as well, since I certainly can't afford to buy new additional wines, so it'll have to come from my Italy stock. From the NoVA/DC tasting, we already know my Barolo is a dud and I'm not ready to open my SuperTuscan yet.
So the choice is one of the following:
2006 Di Majo Norante Sangiovese Terre degli Osci IGT
2005 Fantinel Friuli Grave Pinot Grigio Borgo Tesis
2004 Santi Pinot Grigio Sortesele
2005 Zardini Valpolicella Superiore

I'll bring whichever one ya'll want me to bring if anyone has any actual opinions, though I'm a bit hesitant to want to open my Valpolicella right now as it's my only bottle and it's one of my higher costing Italian reds. But I'll do so if we end up having too many whites in the lineup.
I'm also in for the door prize as well, with it being either $5 or $10.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:I figured you were still recovering from hosting

That and having my head starting to explode from the thought of possibly buying 3 of this week's offering. Though I'm starting to lean more and more towards just 2.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I can also make my choice for wine pretty much now as well, since I certainly can't afford to buy new additional wines, so it'll have to come from my Italy stock. From the NoVA/DC tasting, we already know my Barolo is a dud and I'm not ready to open my SuperTuscan yet.
So the choice is one of the following:
2006 Di Majo Norante Sangiovese Terre degli Osci IGT
2005 Fantinel Friuli Grave Pinot Grigio Borgo Tesis
2004 Santi Pinot Grigio Sortesele
2005 Zardini Valpolicella Superiore

I'll bring whichever one ya'll want me to bring if anyone has any actual opinions, though I'm a bit hesitant to want to open my Valpolicella right now as it's my only bottle and it's one of my higher costing Italian reds. But I'll do so if we end up having too many whites in the lineup.
I'm also in for the door prize as well, with it being either $5 or $10.

ooh the 2005 Fantinel Friuli Grave Pinot Grigio Borgo Tesis sounds good.

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:ooh the 2005 Fantinel Friuli Grave Pinot Grigio Borgo Tesis sounds good.

Well I guess that settles it with the quick reply. Put me down for that one for now.

(couldn't resist posting, just to get all 3 NYC tastings in a row on the forum again )

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

If it's on the 22nd, count me in. On the 15th, I'll be back here on the West Coast, so obviously I won't be able to attend on that date. If I attend, I will probably bring an Italian wine from Kirkland/Costco that's drinking well right now.

kttest

speedoo wrote:If it's on the 22nd, count me in. On the 15th, I'll be back here on the West Coast, so obviously I won't be able to attend on that date. If I attend, I will probably bring an Italian wine from Kirkland/Costco that's drinking well right now.

I added you with your date prefernce, so once everyone else chimes in we can see what the consensus is.

- Krista

Krugsters

Our contributions:
Shamer: 2007 Guicciardini Strozzi Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG Titolato (Italy, Tuscany, San Gimignano, Vernaccia di San Gimignano)-we thinks few will bring whites...

Krugsters: 2007 Sassotondo Ciliegiolo Toscana IGT (Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT)

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Our contributions:
Shamer: 2007 Guicciardini Strozzi Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG Titolato (Italy, Tuscany, San Gimignano, Vernaccia di San Gimignano)-we thinks few will bring whites...

Here's the links to help out kttest.
Shamer - 2007 Guicciardini Strozzi Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG Titolato

Krugsters - 2007 Sassotondo Ciliegiolo Toscana IGT

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

Krugsters wrote:Our contributions:

Sounds great!

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Here's the links to help out kttest.

Thanks!

- Krista

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I would definitely like to participate in this event. However, I am still waiting on NoVA #8's solidified date. Then I would need either A) directions for the cabbie to the location or B) a pickup at Penn Station, a hotel or accommodations nearby, and then a ride back to penn station the next day. So I guess keep me as a distant maybe. Thanks.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Here's the links to help out kttest.

Thanks for the links HAK.

kttest

InShadows wrote:I would definitely like to participate in this event. However, I am still waiting on NoVA #8's solidified date. Then I would need either A) directions for the cabbie to the location or B) a pickup at Penn Station, a hotel or accommodations nearby, and then a ride back to penn station the next day. So I guess keep me as a distant maybe. Thanks.

I'll add you to the maybe list. In addition we are within walking distance to trains that go in and out of Penn so travels should not be an issue. I am thinking that you'd be better off with a hotel near Penn station since the closest hotels to us would probably be the airport which would make your traveling more difficult.

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:I'll add you to the maybe list. In addition we are within walking distance to trains that go in and out of Penn so travels should not be an issue. I am thinking that you'd be better off with a hotel near Penn station since the closest hotels to us would probably be the airport which would make your traveling more difficult.

Yeah, getting to them via Penn is a snap. I take the train into Penn from LI and then just hopped on the subway up to them if I recall.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, getting to them via Penn is a snap. I take the train into Penn from LI and then just hopped on the subway up to them if I recall.

You can also take the LIRR, it's quicker

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:You can also take the LIRR, it's quicker

Doh! Ignore me, was thinking of #7 which will be at Krugsters. Wasn't even paying attention to the fact that this thread was for the one at your place and that you were the one who posted the reply. llo

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Doh! Ignore me, was thinking of #7 which will be at Krugsters. Wasn't even paying attention to the fact that this thread was for the one at your place and that you were the one who posted the reply. llo

I think someone is day dreaming of his golden ticket!

- Krista

Krugsters

Do we have a time or date yet?
Mother-in-law is blowing into town and the 22nd is her birthday.

kttest

Krugsters wrote:Do we have a time or date yet?
Mother-in-law is blowing into town and the 22nd is her birthday.

Personally I'd rather the 15th, but we wanted to see everyone's availability, so far the 15th is winning

As for time, I was thinking around 3pm for a start time, if that works.

- Krista

Krugsters

kttest wrote:Personally I'd rather the 15th, but we wanted to see everyone's availability, so far the 15th is winning

As for time, I was thinking around 3pm for a start time, if that works.

3PM sounds great.
Are we to bring any assorted Italian dish or can I bring...dare I say it...CHEESE!
(Italian cheeses, of course, with Italian fixings AND a laminated poster of the World Cup Italian soccer team posing in their undies.)

kttest

Krugsters wrote:3PM sounds great.
Are we to bring any assorted Italian dish or can I bring...dare I say it...CHEESE!
(Italian cheeses, of course, with Italian fixings AND a laminated poster of the World Cup Italian soccer team posing in their undies.)

I think you can be known going forward as the "cheese lady"!

Cheese and antipasto items sounds great. I was thinking I'd make a pasta dish of some kind and I'd be happy to hang the poster up.

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:I think you can be known going forward as the "cheese lady"!

Cheese and antipasto items sounds great. I was thinking I'd make a pasta dish of some kind and I'd be happy to hang the poster up.

If that post gets hung up, I'm going to need at least a full bottle of something all to myself to blot out that image from my mind.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:If that post gets hung up, I'm going to need at least a full bottle of something all to myself to blot out that image from my mind.

No, man.
These guys look sooooooooooooooo good even you're going to have to admit
"Golly, those boys look good".
I have this picture hanging over my desk at work.

I first saw it in the gym a while ago while flipping through a magazine.
I turned the page to where the photo spread was and nearly fell off the elliptical machine.

kttest

Bump!

- Krista

Krugsters

kttest wrote:Bump!

*in a Sarah Palin voice*
Bump right back at'cha

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I will try to come for this!
I will bring an Aglianico del Vulture, either the Coviv '03 Carpe Diem or the 2003 Cantina di Venosa Vignali

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

HitAnyKey42

Loweeel wrote:I will try to come for this!
I will bring an Aglianico del Vulture, either the Coviv '03 Carpe Diem or the 2003 Cantina di Venosa Vignali

Cool, hope you do get to make it. And it was funny...I scrolled up to add you to the list with the CT links and then realized that I didn't start this thread. llo

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

and if anybody's looking for a suggestion, I highly recommend the $20 Zardini Valpolicella

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

kttest

Loweeel wrote:I will try to come for this!

Great, I added you to the list.

- Krista

kttest

The date has been noted, it will be on Saturday, November 15th at 3pm.

Sorry Speedoo

- Krista

speedoo

kttest wrote:The date has been noted, it will be on Saturday, November 15th at 3pm.

Sorry Speedoo

Well, I'm disappointed, but I understand.

I hate to ask, but is there any chance you and Cesare could consider hosting on Sunday the 23rd? Maybe that would be a date that would work for everyone. If not, I'll just have to hope for another Italian wines tasting soon.

HitAnyKey42

speedoo wrote:Well, I'm disappointed, but I understand.

I hate to ask, but is there any chance you and Cesare could consider hosting on Sunday the 23rd? Maybe that would be a date that would work for everyone. If not, I'll just have to hope for another Italian wines tasting soon.

Personally I prefer Saturday's.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan

Please put my girlfriend and I down as "maybes" as well. November is a bit far off, so I can't say for sure what my schedule has in store for then.

kttest

speedoo wrote:Well, I'm disappointed, but I understand.

Sundays are harder, Saturdays are really better for us.

- Krista

kttest

synchrodan wrote:Please put my girlfriend and I down as "maybes" as well. November is a bit far off, so I can't say for sure what my schedule has in store for then.

You've been added.

- Krista

speedoo

kttest wrote:Sundays are harder, Saturdays are really better for us.

Okay. Thanks for considering the idea, Krista.