+ Add a Comment

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So tossing up the thread for the next one while we finish finalizing the details for #4. This one will be back in the land of Krugsters on the UWS. Unless it changes the date has been decided as being Sat, Oct 18th with the Theme being Wines of Spain.

So start speaking up. Who will be there, what you gonna bring, etc, etc, blah blah blah.

UPDATE:

THEME: Wines of Spain
DATE: 10/18
HOSTS: Krugsters & Shamer
TIME: 5:00 PM

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. Krugsters - 1997 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Viña Tondonia (A Rioja Rose :old world, classic)
  2. Shamer - 1996 R. López de Heredia Rioja Crianza Viña Gravonia (Rioja white)
  3. the Finnish friend +2 - a sherry and delicious tapas
  4. HAK - 2006 Prado Ayala Rioja (Rioja red new world)
  5. Speedoo - 2005 Castoro Cellars Tempranillo Reserve (Tempranillo from USA)
  6. fdiaz - 2006 Descendientes de José Palacios Bierzo Petalos (Mencía from Bierzo DO)
  7. Mario (friend of fdiaz/thatguy) - 2004 Bodegas Ismael Arroyo Ribera del Duero Val Sotillo Crianza (Tempranillo from Ribera del Duero)
  8. afranke - 2005 Marqués de Gelida Cava Brut Reserva (Cava: Pinot Noir Sparkling Rose)
  9. dsapp - 2004 Bodegas Dos Victorias Toro Elías Mora Crianza (Tempranillo from DO Toro)
  10. wife of dsapp - 2004 Celler Can Blau Montsant Mas de Can Blau (Rhone blend from DO Montsant, Tarragona)
  11. canonizer - Cava (Spanish Sparkling)
  12. Marekny7 - 2006 Pazo de Señorans Albariño Rías Baixas (Rias Baxais Albarino white)
  13. Cesare - 2006 Celler la Bollidora Saó (Garnacha Based Wine from Terra Alta)
  14. Kttest - 2001 Bodegas Balcona Bullas Partal I(Monastrell Blend from the Bullas DO)
  15. threemoons
  16. synchrodan - 2005 Bodega O. Fournier Ribera del Duero Urban Oak (Tempranillo from Ribera del Duero)
  17. synchrodan's gf - 2007 Bodegas Naia (Viña Sila) Rueda Las Brisas
  18. ThatGuy (if he finishes brawling early enough) – N.V. Alvear Montilla-Moriles Solera Cream (PX)
MAYBES: (until otherwise notified)
  1. bmckenna (flu has pushed him to a mostly not) - Priorat Garnacha
  2. Andrew (friend of canonizer) (Verdejo White from the Rueda DO)
  3. GF of canonizer
  4. Loweeel (if he gets up here) - 2004 Bodegas Bernabé Navarro Alicante Beryna
REGRETS:
  • dreamchaser83
  • Those who don't go to Tasting #4
Things Needed:
  1. $10 for Door Prize raffles (advise Krugsters ahead of time if you don’t wish to participate)
  2. Please bring one tapas plate per person attending.

Current Tapas Menu:
    HAK - most likely Garlic-marinated Black olives
    Cesare/kttest - Green Olive Paste on Crostinis and Albondigas and Dark Chocolate Cookies
    Shamer - Patatas Bravas
    Krugsters - Bread with Mushrooms and Alioli and CHEESE!
    fdiaz01 - jamon serrano, bread and spanish chorizo
    synchrodan & +1 - Scallop Ceviche & Polvorones de Canele (Cinnamon Cookies)
    bmckenna - Apple and walnut salad
    afranke - Spanish tortillas
    the dsapp's - two different cheeses: one sheep and one cow
    speedoo - Spanish Omelette
    marekny7 - Chicken, Zucchini and Pineapple Skewers

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7

This is the one I may finally make it to.

CT

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Please limit yourselves to one bottle each and one food item.

Also, there will be door prizes again, a Vinituri and a bottle of wine. 5 bucks if you want in. Please note "in for raffle" with your wine selection so I can choose an appropriate valued wine.

I really hope that fdiaz, if he is able to attend, would lead the discussion and help with tastings since this is his main area of expertise.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
Krugsters wrote:Please limit yourselves to one bottle each and one food item.

Also, there will be door prizes again, a Vinituri and a bottle of wine. 5 bucks if you want in. Please note "in for raffle" with your wine selection so I can choose an appropriate valued wine.

I really hope that fdiaz, if he is able to attend, would lead the discussion and help with tastings since this is his main area of expertise.

On my calendar, and barring some unexpected problem, I'll be there. Krugsters, are you still in the same apt.?

Krugsters

speedoo wrote:On my calendar, and barring some unexpected problem, I'll be there. Krugsters, are you still in the same apt.?

Yes we are in the same spot.
And I'll try to arrange the table and furniture better this time to accommodate everyone better.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Yes we are in the same spot.
And I'll try to arrange the table and furniture better this time to accommodate everyone better.

Also as long as we don't have 17 people and 28 wines again, I think we'll be ok.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

Yeah, it's a bit much when the wines out number the people.

I also have the terrace this time (in full bloom! ) so there's a bit more space to work with. Hopefully it won't be too cold by then... ya never know.

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Also as long as we don't have 17 people and 28 wines again, I think we'll be ok.

So are you saying no Swedish women this time???

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:So are you saying no Swedish women this time???

I would never say that!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

speedoo

Krugsters wrote:Yes we are in the same spot.

Let me know if you need any help with setting up..... I can show up early.

Unless someone has an objection, I'd like to bring 2005 Castoro Cellars Tempranillo Reserve. I don't have much in the way of Spanish wines (although I love them) and I think the Castoro would be something worthwhile to compare with Spanish reds.... some wooters with high standards seem to like it.

HitAnyKey42

speedoo wrote:Let me know if you need any help with setting up..... I can show up early.

Unless someone has an objection, I'd like to bring 2005 Castoro Cellars Tempranillo Reserve. I don't have much in the way of Spanish wines (although I love them) and I think the Castoro would be something worthwhile to compare with Spanish reds.... some wooters with high standards seem to like it.

From what I recall of it, that was a really great wine and one of my favorite Tempranillos. So I have no problem with that being the one you bring. Especially since I only have one bottle left and would love to see what it's tasting like at this time.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

My wife and I'd like to come. We need to check our schedules. I'll get back to you.

Krugsters

speedoo wrote:Let me know if you need any help with setting up..... I can show up early.

OK to this.
OK to Swedish women.

speedoo

Krugsters wrote:OK to this.
OK to Swedish women.

So you want me to show up early?
To help with setting up the Swedish women, right?

Krugsters

speedoo wrote:So you want me to show up early?
To help with setting up the Swedish women, right?

Thanks for the offer but I think we'll be OK. I tend to get everything done the night before so I can relax more on the date.

What time is good? 3:00 PM? 4:00 PM?

speedoo

Krugsters wrote:Thanks for the offer but I think we'll be OK. I tend to get everything done the night before so I can relax more on the date.

What time is good? 3:00 PM? 4:00 PM?

My recollection is that we usually start later, but I'm happy with 3:00 or 4:00 PM.

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01

I am no expert but I will be more than happy to throw some suggestions. Spain has very exciting regions showcasing the potential of many different grapes. it would be great to compare the Tempranillo from different regions: the light and elegant old world Rioja, the more fruit forward modern Rioja, the powerfull and full bodied tempranillo based wines from Ribera del Duero and Toro. A tempranillo from the US like speedo suggested would be a nice addition for comparison as well.

Oh and cant forget the Monastrell (called Mourvedre in France) based wines from Jumilla, the Grenache based wine from Priorat. And those are only the more known regions. There are some exciting whites as well, including albarino

wow, this should be exciting... more later

speedoo

fdiaz01 wrote:I am no expert but I will be more than happy to throw some suggestions. Spain has very exciting regions showcasing the potential of many different grapes. it would be great to compare the Tempranillo from different regions: the light and elegant old world Rioja, the more fruit forward modern Rioja, the powerfull and full bodied tempranillo based wines from Ribera del Duero and Toro. A tempranillo from the US like speedo suggested would be a nice addition for comparison as well.

Oh and cant forget the Monastrell (called Mourvedre in France) based wines from Jumilla, the Grenache based wine from Priorat. And those are only the more known regions. There are some exciting whites as well, including the albarino, similar in style to sauvignon blanc.

Definitely exciting. Makes me think that all of our tastings should be similarly focused. Italy, anyone?

Krugsters

fdiaz01 wrote:I am no expert but I will be more than happy to throw some suggestions. Spain has very exciting regions showcasing the potential of many different grapes. it would be great to compare the Tempranillo from different regions: the light and elegant old world Rioja, the more fruit forward modern Rioja, the powerfull and full bodied tempranillo based wines from Ribera del Duero and Toro. A tempranillo from the US like speedo suggested would be a nice addition for comparison as well.

Oh and cant forget the Monastrell (called Mourvedre in France) based wines from Jumilla, the Grenache based wine from Priorat. And those are only the more known regions. There are some exciting whites as well, including the albarino, similar in style to sauvignon blanc.

I think out of all of us F is the most versed in Spanish wines and can guide us in what to bring. The above list is fantastic.

How's this for a starting point:
1. Tempranillo from Ribera del Duero- SYNCHRODAN- which one?
2. Tempranillo from Toro-DSAPP - 2004 Bodegas Dos Victorias Toro Elías Mora Crianza
3. Tempranillo from USA - SPEEDOO 2005 Castoro Cellars Tempranillo Reserve
3. Rioja red old world- DREAMCHASER83 - 2004 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Reserva
4. Rioja red new world- HAK 2006 Prado Ayala Rioja
4. Rioja white-SHAMER 1996 R. López de Heredia Rioja Crianza Viña Gravonia
5. Jumilla Monastrell-
6. Priorat Garnacha- BMCKENNA which one?
7. A Rias Baxais Albarino MAREKNY- 2006 Pazo de Señorans Albariño Rías Baixas
8. Catalunya Red- WIFE OF DSAPP - 2004 Celler Can Blau Montsant Mas de Can Blau
9. PX-ThatGuy – N.V. Alvear Montilla-Moriles Solera Cream
10. A Tempranillo Cab/Merlot blend from Navarra-
11. A Rioja Rose (old world, classic)- KRUGSTERS 1997 Rioja Rose Lopez de Heredia
12. A Mencia from the Bierzo region-
13. A Verdejo, from the Rueda region-
14. A Cava (Cataluyna)- CANONIZER-which one?

(Updated 9/30/08)

Krugsters

speedoo wrote:Definitely exciting. Makes me think that all of our tastings should be similarly focused. Italy, anyone?

I am so down for Italy. Will that be the November tasting?
Hopefully we will be able to supply a wine that is hard to come by here... I'm thinking a local "undiscovered" table wine from Umbria or Tuscany that's not exported and only consumed for local use.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:This is what I have in my cellar now:

And this is what I got in my cellar for Spanish wines as well. We still got plenty of time before this one, so I'll make my actual decision as we get closer to the date and I see what others are bringing. Unless someone has a specific request from my cellar.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

speedoo

Krugsters wrote:I am so down for Italy. Will that be the November tasting?
Hopefully we will be able to supply a wine that is hard to come by here... I'm thinking a local "undiscovered" table wine from Umbria or Tuscany that's not exported and only consumed for local use.

Not surprisingly, I would certainly vote for Italian wines in November, even though we don't have a place yet.

The local "undiscovered" table wine in Italy is almost reason enough to visit there. I did not care much for Rome, but the smaller, less touristy towns, where you could get wonderful, inexpensive food and wine, prepared and served by friendly people.... that's the Italy I love.

Krugsters

speedoo wrote:Not surprisingly, I would certainly vote for Italian wines in November, even though we don't have a place yet.

The local "undiscovered" table wine in Italy is almost reason enough to visit there. I did not care much for Rome, but the smaller, less touristy towns, where you could get wonderful, inexpensive food and wine, prepared and served by friendly people.... that's the Italy I love.

That's where were headed. We're mostly in Umbria and Tuscany for 2 weeks with only 2 nights in Rome. I've never been before although I've been all over Europe. I knew if I went to Italy when I was younger I'd never leave.

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:And this is what I got in my cellar for Spanish wines as well. We still got plenty of time before this one, so I'll make my actual decision as we get closer to the date and I see what others are bringing. Unless someone has a specific request from my cellar.

Ooooooooohhh, you have some yummy sounding wines in there.
Me likee the rioja with all the earthy notes (2006 Prado). And Black Pig label is hysterical.

Hey, if we each toss in 10 bucks for the door prize I can go get the 1981 Lopez de Heredia white rioja which is to die for. Plus the Vinturi as well.

Cesare

quality posts: 1612 Private Messages Cesare
speedoo wrote:Not surprisingly, I would certainly vote for Italian wines in November, even though we don't have a place yet.

Krugsters wrote:That's where were headed. We're mostly in Umbria and Tuscany for 2 weeks with only 2 nights in Rome. I've never been before although I've been all over Europe. I knew if I went to Italy when I was younger I'd never leave.

Ok I'll take the bait. Who better than kttest and I to host an Italian wine tasting and I guess our place is next in the rotation anyway.
I've been to Italy over a dozen times now, seen it from top to bottom, from big cities to small towns to farmland, and of course had all kinds of different wines. I have to say- K, you saved the best for last. I wish I was going again soon so I could bring back some of my family's homemade wine for the tasting. Maybe one day...

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

speedoo

Cesare wrote:Ok I'll take the bait. Who better than kttest and I to host an Italian wine tasting and I guess our place is next in the rotation anyway.
I've been to Italy over a dozen times now, seen it from top to bottom, from big cities to small towns to farmland, and of course had all kinds of different wines. I have to say- K, you saved the best for last. I wish I was going again soon so I could bring back some of my family's homemade wine for the tasting. Maybe one day...

Excellent. Sounds like you'd be a very good Italian wines expert.

It has been proposed that the third Saturday of the month be the "regular" date. That would be Nov. 15, the weekend before Thanksgiving, I believe. How does that work for you and kttest?

Maybe we should skip December due to the holidays?

Krugsters

Cesare wrote:Ok I'll take the bait. Who better than kttest and I to host an Italian wine tasting and I guess our place is next in the rotation anyway.

If your family are near Rome/Florence/Tuscany/Umbria we could always stop by and pick up a couple of bottles for you...

Krugsters

THEME: Wines of Spain
DATE: 10/18
HOSTS: Krugsters & Shamer
TIME: 5:00 PM

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. Krugsters
2. Shamer
3. HAK
4. Speedoo
5. fdiaz
6. bmckenna
7. afranke
8. dreamchaser83
10. dsapp
11. wife of dsapp
12. canonizer
13. Mareny7
14. Cesare
15. Kttest

MAYBES: (until otherwise notified)

1. Andrew (friend of canonizer)
2. GF of canonizer

REGRETS:
Those who don't go to Tasting #4

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

Krugsters PM for you.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

For a Cava, have your thought about N.V. Cristalino Cava Brut Rose ? Nice & tasty and very wallet friendly!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

I'm 90% sure I can make this.

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01

Another option is the Bierzo region, where the Mencia grape is used. i actually havent had much of this, so pretty curious

oh and another white is Verdejo, grown in the Rueda region. That one is similar to sauvignon blanc not albarino like i wrote before. albarino is actually also used in the Portuguese Vinho Verde

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Please move us up from maybe to "yes." My wife and I lived in Madrid for a year and can't wait for this. But I'm not sure what we're bringing at this point. Let me think about it and get back to you. And, yes, we're willing to put $10 each into the kitty for the Rioja you guys have been talking about. Yummy!

Also, we're game for the Italy/November gathering, too, if it's in Manhattan (we'll be coming in on the Metro-North for both gatherings). It will be very nice to see again those of you who attended the gathering in Connecticut a couple months ago. Cheers!

dreamchaser83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreamchaser83

hi everyone -- would it be too imposing for a nob to show up at this thing? i'm supremely interested and equally uneducated about wine...

...still exploring the vino

• Wellington Three-Pack Plus Mystery Wine Challenge
  • Chaucer's Mead Trio
  • Vino Noceto Quartet
  • Scott Harvey InZINerator - Three Pack
  • Iron Horse Sparkling Two Pack with Four Wine Flutes
  • Yorkville Cellars Trio

HitAnyKey42

dreamchaser83 wrote:hi everyone -- would it be too imposing for a nob to show up at this thing? i'm supremely interested and equally uneducated about wine...

I'm not sure if we'll allow any nobs, but I know for sure we'll welcome noobs.
We all started out as newbs (yes, another version of the word cuz it's late and I shoulda been in bed 2 hours ago). I was actually pretty much a newb (and mostly still sorta even am) at the first NYC tasting. Tasting is the only way to get out of newbishness.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

dreamchaser83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreamchaser83

hurrah!
someone tell me what to bring... altho i do love me those italian riojas... yum. wonder what new world vs. old world spanish riojas are like.

...still exploring the vino

• Wellington Three-Pack Plus Mystery Wine Challenge
  • Chaucer's Mead Trio
  • Vino Noceto Quartet
  • Scott Harvey InZINerator - Three Pack
  • Iron Horse Sparkling Two Pack with Four Wine Flutes
  • Yorkville Cellars Trio

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

My shoulder's almost healed, I'll be playing rugby at this point. I can make a night time tasting, but day time is out for me.

Also shame on you for not only coming up with the event and setting a firm time and date for this event while I was out of town and internetless!

Krugsters

thatguy314 wrote:My shoulder's almost healed, I'll be playing rugby at this point. I can make a night time tasting, but day time is out for me.

Also shame on you for not only coming up with the event and setting a firm time and date for this event while I was out of town and internetless!

We felt such pressure! We had to decide! NoVa was kicking our asses! You understand, right? Right?

Anyway.... how about we push back the time a bit for L? Can you make 5:00 PM?
Is that OK with everyone?

Krugsters

dreamchaser83 wrote:hurrah!
someone tell me what to bring... altho i do love me those italian riojas... yum. wonder what new world vs. old world spanish riojas are like.

We have a list above which should serve as a guide.

bmckenna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmckenna

I love how I got near-automatically included as a "yes" ;)

I am near 100% a yes.

I'll bring whatever is most requested off the following list...right now, I have the following:

2005 Masperla Priorat (96 GV)
2006 Terra de Verema Priorat Triumvirat (95 JM)
2003 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva (90 IWC)

that I think are tasting-worthy.

Also, if I can find it, I would not be opposed to bringing the 2005 Clio...we had this at a wine bar in the City Friday night and I found it absolutely enchanting and delicious, and much better than the 2003 I remember from the last tasting (which was pretty good itself).