+ Add a Comment

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

DETAILS:
THEME: Big Eight Rumble: New World vs. Old World
DATE: 10/11
TIME: 7:00PM (EDT)
HOST: hershelk (PM hershelk for driving directions)

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. InShadows
  2. Loweeel
  3. jwhite
  4. jwhite +1
  5. cj
  6. Lisa (cj +1)
  7. Rebecca (cj +2) -- Sparky, you sure you ain't coming?
  8. iByron
  9. Christopher (iB +1)
  10. iB +2
  11. hershelk (plus cats) **host**
  12. hershelk +1
  13. hershelk +2
  14. hershelk +3
  15. spdrcr05
  16. Cheron
  17. kkv
  18. wootvirgin69
  19. wkdpanda
  20. sonadora
  21. Lasgar
  22. Tripgrad
  23. theresa1013
  24. jpmcnally

MAYBE:
  1. wootvirgin69 +1
  2. cbloszinsky
  3. rphilli5

WINES:
  1. Riesling: wootvirgin69 (2006 Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Reserve, Finger Lakes, New York)
  2. Riesling: cjsiege (2007 Rudolf Müller QmP Spätlese, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany)
  3. Sauvignon Blanc: Loweeel (2007 Mahi, Marlborough, New Zealand)
  4. Sauvignon Blanc: hershelk (2006 Moulin des Vrillères, Sancerre, France)
  5. Chardonnay: kkv123 (2007 Kim Crawford Unoaked, New Zealand)
  6. Chardonnay: InShadows (2006 Maison Alex Gambal, Bourgogne Blanc, France)
  7. Pinot Noir: Lasgar (Domaine Claude Dugat, Gevrey-Chambertin, Bourgogne, France)
  8. Pinot Noir: spdrcr05 (2005 Melville Clone 115 Indigene, Santa Rita Hills, California)
  9. Zinfandel/Primitivo: tripgrad (2003 Tormaresca Torcicoda, Salento, Puglia, Italy)
  10. Zinfandel/Primitivo: cheron98 (2004 Chase, St. Helena, California)
  11. Merlot: sonadora (2005 Château La Vieille Cure Fronsac, Bordeaux, France)
  12. Merlot: theresa1013 (2005 Mercer Estates, Horse Heaven Hills, Columbia Valley, Washington)
  13. Cabernet Sauvignon: NoVA/DC #6 attendees (Bordeaux, France)
  14. Cabernet Sauvignon: jwhite6114 (2000 Corison, Napa Valley, California)
  15. Syrah/Shiraz: wkdpanda (2003 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde, Rhône, France)
  16. Syrah/Shiraz: iByron (2003 Ulithorne Frux Frugis, McLaren Vale, Australia)

FOOD:
  • cheese: WF cheeses (2 types, ~2 - 3 lbs)
  • cheese: wootvirgin69
  • platter of mini saltenas: kkv123
  • meatballs:
  • crackers:
  • bread: wootvirgin69
  • fruit: raspberries, strawberries, blueberries: jwhite
  • sweets: bars or brownies or something similar: theresa1013
  • sweets: Apricot-Caramel upside down cake: cjsiege
  • other:
    (not all of these are necessary, just running through ideas in my head)

SUPPLIES
  • Nametags: kkv123
  • plates: cjsiege
  • napkins:
  • utensils:
  • paper: kkv123
  • pens: kkv123
    (paper and pens included only because they have been generously provided in the past -- certainly we can provide our own if no one was already planning to bring some)

last updated: 10/10 1:19PM(EDT)

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:OK, so Rosetta Stone is now ancient history (though folks may still be recovering) ... so it's time to schedule #7 ... Anyone up for September? Or should we skip ahead to October?

If the latter ... I wonder if we can make an tasty theme out of "novelty" wines with the likes of PoiZin, Seven Dealy Zins, etc. You know, those ones with the catchy names and bottles that you have always wondered if they were really any good?

So, looking from late September through October, I see:

9/27
10/4
10/11
10/18
10/28

How do these work for folks?

Uh, 10/28 is a Tuesday...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
jwhite6114 wrote:OK, so Rosetta Stone is now ancient history (though folks may still be recovering) ... so it's time to schedule #7 ... Anyone up for September? Or should we skip ahead to October?

If the latter ... I wonder if we can make an tasty theme out of "novelty" wines with the likes of PoiZin, Seven Dealy Zins, etc. You know, those ones with the catchy names and bottles that you have always wondered if they were really any good?

9/27
10/4
10/11
10/18
10/28

9/27 and 10/4 work for me. 10/11 is definitely out and I might be at the Penn State game on 10/18. I don't know why we would have a gathering on 10/28 a Tuesday but that's a work night for me so I'm a no-go for that one.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

jwhite6114

cheron98 wrote:Uh, 10/28 is a Tuesday...

that's why I suggested 10/25

CT | | | | | |

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

I think we need to do a "big eight" tasting at some point. That is, the big eight varietals that form the backbone of the wine industry: Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, & Syrah.

I say that because we have a lot of newbies amongst our ranks and while we all love our Pinot Gris, Viognier, Concord, Petite Sirah, Tannat, etc., a good grounding in the fundamentals is essential because that's what people are most likely to encounter.

October would be appropriate for such a theme (as would gathering #8).

Just throwing it out there.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
jwhite6114 wrote:that's why I suggested 10/25

Ahhhh! The wonders of revisionist history!

cjsiege

iByron wrote:I think we need to do a "big eight" tasting at some point. That is, the big eight varietals that form the backbone of the wine industry: Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, & Syrah.

I say that because we have a lot of newbies amongst our ranks and while we all love our Pinot Gris, Viognier, Concord, Petite Sirah, Tannat, etc., a good grounding in the fundamentals is essential because that's what people are most likely to encounter.

October would be appropriate for such a theme (as would gathering #8).

Just throwing it out there.

Sort of like SoCal doing the all Rhone or all Bordeaux. See SoCal #2 on one of the later pages. They decided all Rhone for the 8/15 bash.

InShadows

but of course you did. I must have just read it wrong. Well in that case 10/25 is out as well because I'll be up in NYC for the Rangers vs Penguins game.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cheron98

Yeah but you POSTED 10/28.

jwhite6114

cjsiege wrote:Ahhhh! The wonders of revisionist history!

tee hee! (giggling in my seat like nobody's business )

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I am not sure what my High Holy Day plans are yet, but 9/27 is the weekend before RH (starts monday evening) and 10/11 is after yom kippur, so I may be in NJ one or both of those weekends.

I also have a case that will be going to trial (in Tacoma, WA!) that will probably last a week to 2 weeks, and I may have to stay over the weekend out there -- it's a lot of flying for one night in my bed. But I think the trial will be end of october or sometime in november.

If I had to decide this far in advance, I'd say that 10/4 works the best for me right now. I do like Byron's idea of "Big 8".

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cjsiege

As it stands right now, I'm open anytime. However, I still have England/Germany hanging out there - with a tentative time frame of "October". Keep planning, and I'll see which way that one breaks.

L - stay out in Seattle for the weekend during the trial. (Seattle/Tacoma/wherever) You will spend way too much time in the air for one night in your own bed. Bleh!

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse

As long as there is time for me to get from the MD Ren Faire to there, and that I hopefully haven't indulged to much of the wine from Linganore!

129 Woots and counting

jwhite6114

bunnymasseuse wrote:As long as there is time for me to get from the MD Ren Faire to there, and that I hopefully haven't indulged to much of the wine from Linganore!

What are the dates on the MD Ren Fair (and when will you be there)? We went last year, and I am hoping to go again this year.

CT | | | | | |

iByron

September is out for me. I have a conference the week of 10/27 making 10/25 a no go for me as well. A training session on 10/10 makes 10/11 iffy, but doable.

10/4 is actually the best for me right now. With 10/7 being my father's birthday, I'd likely be down that weekend anyway.

I want to hear from Hershel. You out there, buddy?

Your Private WIneaux

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
iByron wrote:I want to hear from Hershel. You out there, buddy?

Weekends throughout the time period look pretty good for me, and I'm happy to host. The one day which may be difficult to host for me is October 4th, as I will be in Omaha the week before and won't be able to head back till Saturday and I'm not sure when I will get back in town on the 4th. If we do have it on the 4th and others can take charge of getting food, etc. I'd still be willing to host. My house is even painted now.

CT

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

9/27
10/4
10/11
10/18
10/25

10/11 is not good because it is Columbus holiday weekend.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

bunnymasseuse

jwhite6114 wrote:What are the dates on the MD Ren Fair (and when will you be there)? We went last year, and I am hoping to go again this year.

Fair runs from the last weekend of Aug to the 2nd to last (normally ) of October every weekend and the Monday of labor day.

I normally get the Fairever Pass as I'll end up going atleast 5x making the pass worth it, and more times after that is basically free.

129 Woots and counting

iByron

tripgrad wrote:10/11 is not good because it is Columbus holiday weekend.

Unless you're from out of town, which makes it perfect. Of course, 10/8 is better for me.

Meanwhile, what are the thoughts of a Big Eight theme? Given the purpose of this, I'd also suggest a bit more coordination than usual so we don't get over- or underrepresented on any varietal.

Proposal (which the group can accept, reject, or modify at will.

- Nothing but varietal wines from the big eight varietals: Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah/Shiraz. Varietal will use the US definition of at least 75% varietal, even if it's not labelled as such (so a right-bank Bordeaux would count as a Merlot if we can verify 75% or more of Merlot).
- 100% varietal are preferred. We want people to experience as pure a form of the varietal as possible. This is an educational experience as well as a social one.
- Keep the distribution balanced. At least two of each varietal. The model of one Old World/one New World seems appropriate. Suggested locales (by no means required):
- Riesling: one from Germany, one from Finger Lakes
- Sauvignon Blanc: one from France; one from New Zealand
- Chardonnay: one Burgundy; one US (perhaps one unoaked as well)
- Pinot Noir: one Burgundy; one Oregon or New Zealand
- Merlot: one RB Bordeaux or Italy; one from new world
- Cabernet Sauvignon: one LB Bordeaux (75% Cab); one Napa
- Syrah: one Rhône/OW; one Australian or South African

That alone would be 16 bottles. more than enough for a typical tasting. We could learn something, too.

Whattaya think?

Your Private WIneaux

jwhite6114

iByron wrote:Unless you're from out of town, which makes it perfect. Of course, 10/8 is better for me.

Meanwhile, what are the thoughts of a Big Eight theme? Given the purpose of this, I'd also suggest a bit more coordination than usual so we don't get over- or underrepresented on any varietal.

- Nothing but varietal wines from the big eight varietals: Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah/Shiraz. Varietal will use the US definition of at least 75% varietal, even if it's not labelled as such (so a right-bank Bordeaux would count as a Merlot if we can verify 75% or more of Merlot).
- 100% varietal are preferred. We want people to experience as pure a form of the varietal as possible. This is an educational experience as well as a social one.
- Keep the distribution balanced. At least two of each varietal. The model of one Old World/one New World seems appropriate. Suggested locales (by no means required):

That alone would be 16 bottles. more than enough for a typical tasting. We could learn something, too.

Whattaya think?

I'm game.

And if it appeases the crowd, I am willing to bring a 2000 Corison Cab (for the Napa rep).

(assuming it's a date I can make, of course)

CT | | | | | |

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
iByron wrote:Unless you're from out of town, which makes it perfect. Of course, 10/8 is better for me.

Whattaya think?

i think that that is such a ROCKIN' idea that i'm going to, err, borrow it for my own purposes here in Chicago!!!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cjsiege

tripgrad wrote:10/11 is not good because it is Columbus holiday weekend.

Hey...Italian & Spanish wines?????

EDIT: Unless we do Big 8 of course. (If here) I can take on either world Riesling. I've got new world already & know of a good old world.

jwhite6114

jwhite6114 wrote:I'm game.

And if it appeases the crowd, I am willing to bring a 2000 Corison Cab (for the Napa rep).

(assuming it's a date I can make, of course)

Wait -- did CJ already commit one (two?) of these from the woot off? If so, then I'll think of something else.

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

jwhite6114 wrote:Wait -- did CJ already commit one (two?) of these from the woot off? If so, then I'll think of something else.

Ok, see that is a strange subject. I WAS going to front a bottle for #6, but may want to shift that to #7 and substitute in a Paso Robles "player to be named later" in for #6.

hershelk

iByron wrote:

I'll take care of the Sauvignon Blanc. I have several Sancerres and NZ Sauvignon Blancs in the cellar.

We need an Alsatian Reisling in the mix. I would go with Oregon over NZ at this time on the Pinot unless you are really trying to compare similar climates. Also, definitely need an unoaked chardonnay as it would be nice to compare with one that has some fruit showing. So what? we had 22 wines ate the last one.

CT

jwhite6114

cjsiege wrote:Ok, see that is a strange subject. I WAS going to front a bottle for #6, but may want to shift that to #7 and substitute in a Paso Robles "player to be named later" in for #6.

Either way, you've already provided a Corison. And if you make it for #7 (sensible), the Napa Cab is covered, too.

CT | | | | | |

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
hershelk wrote:Weekends throughout the time period look pretty good for me, and I'm happy to host. The one day which may be difficult to host for me is October 4th, as I will be in Omaha the week before and won't be able to head back till Saturday and I'm not sure when I will get back in town on the 4th. If we do have it on the 4th and others can take charge of getting food, etc. I'd still be willing to host. My house is even painted now.

whyfore in Omaha? PM me and we'll try to work something out if you're going to have any free time.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bunnymasseuse

I can probably cover a NW Merlot.

129 Woots and counting

iByron

hershelk wrote:I'll take care of the Sauvignon Blanc. I have several Sancerres and NZ Sauvignon Blancs in the cellar.

We need an Alsatian Reisling in the mix. I would go with Oregon over NZ at this time on the Pinot unless you are really trying to compare similar climates. Also, definitely need an unoaked chardonnay as it would be nice to compare with one that has some fruit showing. So what? we had 22 wines ate the last one.

Those are just suggestions.

I left out Zin (suprised nobody called me on it) which would be somewhat difficult to do OW/NW. I mean nobody drinks Primitivo, right? Might just have to settle for "Old Vine/New Vine".

Your Private WIneaux

hershelk

iByron wrote:Those are just suggestions.

I left out Zin (suprised nobody called me on it) which would be somewhat difficult to do OW/NW. I mean nobody drinks Primitivo, right? Might just have to settle for "Old Vine/New Vine".

Another possibility in order to provide more variations on individual variatals would be to split the big eight into two tastings. Do the whites and maybe the pinot in the first group and then the bigger reds in the second group. We could bring in some more new world wines for comparison as well.

CT

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
hershelk wrote:I'll take care of the Sauvignon Blanc. I have several Sancerres and NZ Sauvignon Blancs in the cellar.

Thanks for the shout out for the Alsatian Reisling! As I read the list, it was the first thing that jumped out as missing.
As for unoaked Chardonnay, I recall liking the Kim Crawford quite a bit, as I do their Sauvignon Blanc. [ But not as much as the Whitehaven, which IMHO is superlative. ]

I know my preferences lean more towards whites than others do, so I'm happy to bring both an Alsatian Reisling (to be determined) and the Kim Crawford unoaked Chardonnay.

Loweeel

hershelk wrote:Another possibility in order to provide more variations on individual variatals would be to split the big eight into two tastings. Do the whites and maybe the pinot in the first group and then the bigger reds in the second group. We could bring in some more new world wines for comparison as well.

Or maybe even geographically -- e.g., Bordeaux vs. on one tasting and Rhone/Alsace/Burg in another.

Just based on my experience with #5, a lot of the roses seemed to blend together (in part because it was difficult to determine a good order), and I think an all-whites or most-whites might suffer the same way.

So one might be:
Rieslings, SBs, Merlots, Cabs

And the other would be
Chard, Pinot, Zin, Syrah

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

iByron

Loweeel wrote:Or maybe even geographically -- e.g., Bordeaux vs. on one tasting and Rhone/Alsace/Burg in another.

Just based on my experience with #5, a lot of the roses seemed to blend together (in part because it was difficult to determine a good order), and I think an all-whites or most-whites might suffer the same way.

So one might be:
Rieslings, SBs, Merlots, Cabs

And the other would be
Chard, Pinot, Zin, Syrah

Good ideas all.

The listing wasn't meant to be limiting, though not all-inclusive either (there's extraordinary Riesling in the northwest ... Eroica anyone?). More to be balanced and representative of what folks are most likely to see.

How about this?

Since we're so far out and haven't even picked a date yet everyone commit to bringing just one bottle until we fill in two of each or get two weeks away (whichever comes first). After that, anyone can fill in the blanks (first) and then bring any others.

Doesn't matter where they come from, but they should be at least 95% varietal: easy for the whites, Pinot, and Syrah; less so for Cab, Zin, and Merlot. Since Chardonnay is the Vodka of wine, we'll require at least one oaked and one unoaked lest they be indistinguishable.

If we did that, here's what I have so far:

Riesling: cjsiege
Riesling:
Sauvignon Blanc: hershelk (Sancerre or NZ)
Sauvignon Blanc:
Chardonnay (oaked):
Chardonnay (unoaked): kkv123 (Kim Crawford, New Zealand)
Pinot Noir:
Pinot Noir:
Zinfandel:
Zinfandel:
Merlot: bunnymasseuse
Merlot:
Cabernet Sauvignon: jwhite6114 (2000 Corison, Napa, California)
Cabernet Sauvignon:
Syrah: iByron (2001 Ulithorne Frux Frugis, McLaren Vale, Australia)
Syrah:

That Kim Crawford sounds interesting. Malolactic fermentation but unoaked sounds like a nice combo (many unoaked chards forego malolactic in the name of "the fruit"...as if).

Discuss

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

cheron98

Was a date settled on? My parents cancelled on me for coming out here in October, so I might be able to wander back out that-a-way. Y'know, depending on if I'm allowed back after #6

Loweeel

cheron98 wrote:Was a date settled on? My parents cancelled on me for coming out here in October, so I might be able to wander back out that-a-way. Y'know, depending on if I'm allowed back after #6

You are welcome any and every time!

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

I'm in, and tenatively +1 ... this far out who actually knows what my calendar is going to look like. If I put this in.. then everything else gets to schedule around it.

I'll bring Pinot. 2005 Melville Clone 115 Indigene Pinot Noir. It's not Oregon as suggested so if we are fixed on that, I'll have to go shopping.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

InShadows

Put me down for the oaked Chard. I have quite a few of those laying around. If push comes to shove it'll be the Lake Anna Barrel Select Chardonnay. Of course we could even differentiate between the oaks on American oaks vs French oaks.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

iByron

So if we did a big eight, we have so far:

Riesling: cjsiege
Riesling:
Sauvignon Blanc: hershelk (Sancerre or NZ)
Sauvignon Blanc:
Chardonnay (oaked): InShadows (Lake Anna Barrel Select, Virginia [tentative])
Chardonnay (unoaked): kkv123 (Kim Crawford, New Zealand)
Pinot Noir: spdrcr05 (2005 Melville Clone 115 Indigene, Santa Rita Hills, California)
Pinot Noir:
Zinfandel:
Zinfandel:
Merlot: bunnymasseuse
Merlot:
Cabernet Sauvignon: jwhite6114 (2000 Corison, Napa, California)
Cabernet Sauvignon:
Syrah: iByron (2001 Ulithorne Frux Frugis, McLaren Vale, Australia)
Syrah:

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

cheron98

Upon the following assumptions:

1. y'all don't hate me after #6
2. I can find the means to get out there in October which shouldn't be too hard to do
3. you set a final date within the next couple of weeks so I can book a flight or plan a drive
4. my Chase ever arrives intact

I will be there with the 2004 Chase Zin to cover NW Zinfandel.

Otherwise I'll scrounge up another Zin. Do I have the Saxon Brown? I might bring that one.

cheron98

Holy cheap flights!

So, are we set for sure on 10/4? Like if I book a flight, you're not all gonna change it on me?

Since the Chase arrived intact, I will bring the 2004 Chase Zin. Who's hosting?