+ Add a Comment

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Well, the June SoCAL Wine Woot is over, and now we can start planning for August 15th when Loweeel gives us the benefit of his legal experience in reviewing the Case of the Empty Bottles!!! Well, 1.8 Cases of Empty Bottles ... and it may have been 2 after I left ....

It is a Friday, which is the only day (I believe) that Loweeel will be available to grace us with his PSith Mastery.

Also, TimByrd's birthday is the Saturday prior (August 9th), so keep that evening open as well. (Edit: PM Tim for directions, starts at 3pm on the 9th. Details here on page 6.)

And while MadWine's clubhouse may be fine to start with, I'm not sure if the debauchery ... err, wine tasting would be quiet, based on Saturday's festivities. MadWino tends to get, well, very vocally expressive (loud).

And as Nallie so gracefully put it last time:

The divine Ms. M (in this case, M=Madwine) has generously agreed to provide the gorgeously appointed clubhouse at her development as a venue for our debauchery, umm - I mean subdued tasting party.

***EDIT TO ADD VIEWER GUIDELINES***
Due to the extreme graphic nature of this thread, parents are strongly cautioned to exercise oversight of any children in the area. Many posts contain imagery not suitable for minors. If you are yourself a minor, please do not consider this warning a thinly-veiled, overly-titillating siren's song. No, we mean it. Don't read this. There is talk of BowTie in speedos. Just go read a book. Or go outside and get some sunshine. This is no way to spend your summer vacation anyway, cooped up in front of a glowing blue box. That's just wrong on so many levels. Go make some friends. Kick a ball. Kiss a girl. Write a haiku. Just don't read this thread. Really.

******* Edit: Updating here from now on. (8/14/09, 11:15 PM) *******

Okay, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change, it is not set in stone. Just post your correction, and it will be updated.

THEME: The PSith Master Cometh aka Rhone Varietals (New/Old) (*)
DATE: 8/15 (Part I and II)
TIME: 7:00 PM (Stiletto Heels optional)
HOST: MadWine / MadWino (PM Nallie for directions)

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

MAYBES:

1. Lucidgirl (Java’s Sis)
      - wine
      - tasty Empanadas from a local Cuban bakery
      - Singing voice for karaoke
    2. Vchewjr
      - wine
      - finger food?
    3. Mbecker??

REGRETS:

• PSquishy (aka Kylemittskus)
    - wine
    - Chase Petite Sirah (or else!!)
  • LBISurfer2 (moved to Utah)
  • Java’s Friends (2)
  • everyone who misses this one

If your wine needs decanting, please bring a decanter.

Edit: Glasses will have limited availability, so bring your glass(es) (and leave it if you want to please MW). (end edit)

Snacks/Dessert TBD (other than PSquishy Burgers by Loweeel) No cooking required. Finger Foods.

(*) – Some Rhone Varietals

• Red: Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, Cinsault, Carignane, Petite Sirah
  • White: Viognier, Roussanne, Marsanne, Grenache Blanc

Part I is tasting the wines.
Part II will be blending the wines, and judging the best blend.
Part III is the aftermath on Saturday!

THEME: Wine.Woot Beach Blanket Bingo
DATE: 8/16 (Saturday)
TIME: TBD (Stiletto Heels optional)
LOCATION: Carlsbad (Northern San Diego Area) or San Clemente area?
ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

• MadWine / MadWino
  • Sanity

MAYBES:

• MarkDaSpark (unless it’s at the San Clemente beach)
  • Javadrinker
  • Lucidgirl (Java’s Sis)
  • Vchewjr

REGRETS:

• PSquishy (aka Kylemittskus)
  • Clayfu
  • Nallie

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

I hate to plan so far ahead, but i SHOULD be here. I'm not 100% sure tho. School starts the week after so I really don't see why not.

MarkDaSpark

clayfu wrote:I hate to plan so far ahead, but i SHOULD be here. I'm not 100% sure tho. School starts the week after so I really don't see why not.

You have to be there! We missed you on Saturday! Plus Loweeel will be there, so you can debate with him! Fun for all!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Where will be doing this? My girlfriend and I will be at a beach house in Carslbad so if it were to be down there again, it could work perfectly.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Where will be doing this? My girlfriend and I will be at a beach house in Carslbad so if it were to be down there again, it could work perfectly.

Should be down in that area. Possibly at MadWine/MadWino's clubhouse, house, or at Nallie's house (room in the backyard for the bodies!).

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I'm looking forward to attending. How about a place somewhere between Dana Point and Seal Beach? If a public venue or restaurant at which to meet can't be found, everyone may always make their way to my home in Vegas! Only about 4.5 hrs from so-cal.

Sparky, thanks for the photos, and posting my notes. Maybe you don't need a new camera, just need to adjust your settings?!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I'm bringing (obviously) a PS that I find on my travels that I like. Themes be damned ;). I will also prepare lambsteak and/or burgers -- whatever people want (though I need kitchen space, white pepper, a box of kosher salt, and smoked paprika)

Sorry, the stuffed calamari is way too labor-intensive to make for more than a few people.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

Damn you all for picking a nice weekend in advance that me and the missus may have actually been able to swing... except for the fact that we'll be in Singapore!

ugh. Maybe we'll try to make it to Tim's the weekend prior... oh wait, that's Tish B'Av. damn Jewish fast days.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Where will be doing this? My girlfriend and I will be at a beach house in Carslbad so if it were to be down there again, it could work perfectly.

Your place. On the beach. I keed, I keed!

Actually, Nallie posted on the old thread that MadWine/MadWino have a lot of travel plans in August/September, and she can't do it at her place (she'll have the kids) then.

And I'll be in San Clemente (which was great for Carlsbad) that weekend, so Dana Point might not be bad.

So post your suggestions, thoughts, knowledge of where we can host Loweeel.

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:Your place. On the beach. I keed, I keed!

Actually, Nallie posted on the old thread that MadWine/MadWino have a lot of travel plans in August/September, and she can't do it at her place (she'll have the kids) then.

And I'll be in San Clemente (which was great for Carlsbad) that weekend, so Dana Point might not be bad.

So post your suggestions, thoughts, knowledge of where we can host Loweeel.

I've nothing. We're renting a house, but it will be full of between 6 and 12 people ranging in ages from 60 to 2. We are there to surf until my arms fall off, or at least I am. However, I believe we need to host somewhere appropriate for the likes of Loweeel. Who else is/might be attending and can host?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

*bump* for nallie

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

<insert smiley that blows kisses at BowTie>

cross posted from other party thread -

Thanks again to all participants. Now that the MadWines, sir and madam, have fully recovered from the 'wine tasting' (or perhaps simply tucked all memories of it into that quiet, under-lit little place in the deepest recesses of the mind which we each have but only visit during our most primal nightmares, or extended family reunions), there is talk they may be able to somehow be involved in Loweeel's visit aka Debauchery:The Sequel. Factors involving the winery and family vacas may interfere but they will try their best. So please keep that ball rolling forward. Which I guess I should be saying in the other thread. But it feels too self-indulgent to bump both SoCal tasting threads to the top, so I'll just keep it in this for now.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

MarkDaSpark

I forgot to call today to the place I'm staying in San Clemente to see if they have a common room we can use. I'll try to remember tomorrow to call them.

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine

Just wonder what happens? Does this really move up? This is just a check!

madwine

Wow! That's fun! Never knew that! Uh oh . . . now that I know . . . I can . . . no, nope, nada, can't do that . . . . .

MarkDaSpark

madwine wrote:Wow! That's fun! Never knew that! Uh oh . . . now that I know . . . I can . . . no, nope, nada, can't do that . . . . .

Only 10 more posts for 1,000! Party time! (or as Charlie Waffles would say: "It's Potty Time! Can't Hold It!")

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:I forgot to call today to the place I'm staying in San Clemente to see if they have a common room we can use. I'll try to remember tomorrow to call them.

Okay. Called in, but the lady I need to talk to is out until Monday. (Darn Colonials and their Independence Day ).

They do have a meeting room, but will need to get details (cost, noise limits, etc.). It's right off the 5 freeway in San Clemente, so it wouldn't be hard to get to. But there might be a cost involved to reserve the room.

I'll find out on Monday.

MarkDaSpark

Okay. Heard back from her. They don't have any meeting rooms we could use, but she knows of some places close by, and there is supposed to be a state park right behind that has some room.

I have to call her back and find out more, but it's not looking good for the place I'm staying at.

sanity

I'm not sure yet where I'll be staying, Hilton Garden Inn or? They'll have facilities, I'll check on ava and price.

clayfu

I have a simple apartment in San Diego we can use. I'm pretty sure I'll be moved in by this time. It has a kitchen and a living room and a front patio and a back yard! Perfect for entertaining guests =P I also live next to "Hotel Circle" which has a bunch of hotels... *giggles*.

Also live around alot of wine friendly restaurants.

sanity

clayfu wrote:I have a simple apartment in San Diego we can use. I'm pretty sure I'll be moved in by this time. It has a kitchen and a living room and a front patio and a back yard! Perfect for entertaining guests =P I also live next to "Hotel Circle" which has a bunch of hotels... *giggles*.

Also live around alot of wine friendly restaurants.

MarkDaSpark wrote:OOohh. That's right. I'm so excited about Saturday (CJ's in town!) and next week (RPM Tour!!!!), and NoVA/DC#6, I completely forgot about SoCal August Tasting: The PSith Master cometh!!!

PSquishy, bring the PS on August 15th. Where, we still are figuring out ....

That sounds great, clayfu. If it doesn't work out, maybe my idea below can be plan B.

crossposted from cyberpub:

OK, here's an idea. My sweet husband offered to use his hilton points to get a hospitality suite at Hilton Garden Inns (or another Hilton property?). There's one in Carlsbad, and one in Rancho Bernardo (or further north or south?). We've stayed in both, and they are very suitable. I will call tomorrow and see what's available. How does that sound? Better than a meeting room, imho.

clayfu

sanity wrote:That sounds great, clayfu. If it doesn't work out, maybe my idea below can be plan B.

crossposted from cyberpub:

OK, here's an idea. My sweet husband offered to use his hilton points to get a hospitality suite at Hilton Garden Inns (or another Hilton property?). There's one in Carlsbad, and one in Rancho Bernardo (or further north or south?). We've stayed in both, and they are very suitable. I will call tomorrow and see what's available. How does that sound? Better than a meeting room, imho.

sounds even better than coming to my place ^_^.

MarkDaSpark

PSquishy must give surf lessons to MadWine, and then we can PAR-TAY ... or a reasonable facsimile thereof:

THEME: The PSith Master Cometh aka TBD
DATE: 8/15
TIME: 7:00 PM or so (Stiletto Heels optional)
HOST: Madwine ?? (PSquishy must teach surfing)

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. Nallie
      -wine
      - food?
    2. MadWine / MadWino
      - mmmmmm Madison Cellars wine ….
      - sleeping dog / Lampshade for Java
    3. MarkDaSpark
      - wine (PS)
      - wine
      - Chili Cheese dip & Chips
      - Noisemakers
    4. Lucidgirl (Java’s Sis)
      - wine
      - Wine?
      - tasty Empanadas from a local Cuban bakery
      - Singing voice for karaoke
    5. Vchewjr
      - wine
      - wine?
    6. Madwine’s Neighbors (+??) (Raj is fun)
      - Vodka/Gin
      - Snacks
    7. TimByrd (Must attend, missed last one)
      - Yellowtail Wine (Aus)
      - Brownies
    8. PSquishy (aka Kylemittskus)
      - wine
      - Chase Petite Sirah (or else!!)
    9. Sanity
      -wine
    10. Clayfu
      -wine
    11. Guest of Honor: Loweeel
      - PS burgers
      - wine?

MAYBES:

1. Javadrinker (Strong Maybe)
      -wine
      - more wine?
      - Water (and Bread?)
    2. Mbecker
    3. LBISurfer2

REGRETS:

If your wine needs decanting, please bring a decanter. Glasses should be available, but bring your glass if you want (and leave it if you want to please MW).

Snacks/Dessert TBD (other than PSquishy Burgers by Loweeel)

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

I'm technically a strong strong maybe. Getting to Carlsbad on a Friday night by 5 means leaving work early and I still don't know if I can pull that off. We'll see as things get closer. My sis and Chewie may be in the same boat but I'll let them chime in when they get a chance.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

nallie

I think we should probably clear format on who brings what (including alphabetical assignments) at this point and just see how things come together over the next few weeks. For instance, unless there is a birthday girl or boy in attendance, I'm not bringing a cake. I love you all, but not enough to spend two days making a cake unless a birthday person explicitly requests it. And I think Loweel is bringing food/lamb? Five may be a little early a start time for most people on a weekday. Let's gather input at this stage rather than set policy.

"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

sanity

Start time: I'm flexible. Coming from Vegas, we'll be leaving early in the day. Is 7 too late?

Lodging: We might stay in RB, not sure yet (business and golf). PSquishy, it's about 25 minutes inland from Carlsbad, maybe too long a drive after an evening of debauchery....err, wine tasting.

Food: Loweeel, are you bringing the meat, or just the grinder? Do you need one of us to supply the meat? In addition to PSquishy, of course.

Is there anything special you would like to serve with the infamous PS burgers?

Dear ms. nallie, you have plenty on your plate so to speak, so no 2-day cake making, unless we make a party out of it! jk, jk

lucidgrrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucidgrrl

I'm going to chime in here I would like to echo Ms. Sanity and also ask if a 7 p.m. start time would be too late. Weekdays are a little harder to work with. I think that would work better for some of us.

Looks like another fun event and I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

MarkDaSpark

nallie wrote:I think we should probably clear format on who brings what (including alphabetical assignments) at this point and just see how things come together over the next few weeks. For instance, unless there is a birthday girl or boy in attendance, I'm not bringing a cake. I love you all, but not enough to spend two days making a cake unless a birthday person explicitly requests it. And I think Loweel is bringing food/lamb? Five may be a little early a start time for most people on a weekday. Let's gather input at this stage rather than set policy.

OoPS. Forgot it's a Friday. Will make the changes to the post. Sorry about that. It's not set in stone. It's a "Living, Breathing Document". Which means anything can change in it.

But I'm having withdrawal symptoms .... your cake was sooooooo delish!! mmmmmmm .... Nallie's Death by Choc/PB cake ......

madwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:OoPS. Forgot it's a Friday. Will make the changes to the post. Sorry about that. It's not set in stone. It's a "Living, Breathing Document". Which means anything can change in it.

But I'm having withdrawal symptoms .... your cake was sooooooo delish!! mmmmmmm .... Nallie's Death by Choc/PB cake ......

No Cake! You would not believe the drama I had to deal w/ with that cake. Not to mention the PLATTER it was served on. I say finger foods. Not to mention I ain't cooking and Jon ain't grilling. And my dear maid, I mean Nallie ain't cleaning

nallie

Sanity and MadWine, thank you both for your cake related input. There shall be no cake.

Lucid, regardless of what silly MadWine said in the main thread about your sparrow-like voice (Madwine, jealous much?), you are still and always the B in BFF.

Mark, thanks for pulling back and regrouping.

MadWine, so help me - if I see those platters on eBay, why I'm gonna...

javadrinker

nallie wrote:Sanity and MadWine, thank you both for your cake related input. There shall be no cake.

Lucid, regardless of what silly MadWine said in the main thread about your sparrow-like voice (Madwine, jealous much?), you are still and always the B in BFF.

Mark, thanks for pulling back and regrouping.

MadWine, so help me - if I see those platters on eBay, why I'm gonna...

So it's decided then...you're bringing cupcakes.

kylemittskus

This being my first get together, can someone, Nallie maybe, just tell me what to bring?

I am, (supposedly) bringing the Chase PS... what else shall I walk in with?

Also, do I get to drink some PS before I am made into Loweeel's PS pairing burgers?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:This being my first get together, can someone, Nallie maybe, just tell me what to bring?

Also, do I get to drink some PS before I am made into Loweeel's PS pairing burgers?

Sounds like a good way to get the PS into the meat before it's ground, to me

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

javadrinker

kylemittskus wrote:This being my first get together, can someone, Nallie maybe, just tell me what to bring?

All part of the discussion m'lad. We still haven't even come up with a theme for this shindig. These were some of the ideas from our first gathering:

MarkDaSpark wrote:
So far, suggestions have been:

1) Woot wine
2) Southern Hemisphere wines (Aus, NZ, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, South Africa)
3) Wines we can't pronounce
4) One Varietal from different areas (seems to be last place)
Edit: 5) Rosé (can be different grapes: Syrah, Pinot Noir, etc.)

We went with #2 for that one. Anyone have any other thoughts?

javadrinker

cheron98 wrote:Sounds like a good way to get the PS into the meat before it's ground, to me

That just sounded dirty.

nallie

Dude, Loweeel's coming. You KNOW it has to be about the PS, at the very least tangentially.

Kyle, as it gets closer more and more of the details will be posted here. Just keep checking in on this thread. I'll pm MadWine's info on a need to know basis the weekend before. If anyone needs a more specific location than NE Carlsbad (say, for lodging purposes) in the interim, let me know.

Looks like I might have overnight childcare options for that evening after all. If so, I may be a part of the surfing party, and in the interest of educating my palate I will definitely be willing to leave the stone, cold off the sober part. Maybe more like silt, tepid sober? Not that I am in any way advocating a repeat of Tasting 1: A Lightweight Falls Hard. No, not at all. I am all out of payoff money for blackmailers (and, apparently, platters).

Cupcakes. Those I can do. I'll bring them on paper plates.

sanity

Re a theme, what about just bringing a wine we think everyone will love? We'll state our choices and Jon can then decide on the tasting order.

Or if we really want a theme:

How about up-and-coming (meaning new to some of us, increased imports, etc) regions such as Greece, eastern Europe, Friuli-Venezia Giulia (Italy), Chile, Belgium, Canada, etc.

Or, pick 2 different varietals, say Vionier and Pinot Noir or....OK, you get the idea.

Get those brains a hummin' with ideas. Discuss amongst yourselves.....

sanity

Since I'm traveling by automobile, I can bring extra stuff that other's travel arrangements may preclude. Also, I love to cook/bake, so I'll entertain ideas/requests. That means when you request bon bons or a chiffon cake, with layers of whipped cream, I will howl with delight, and then say, uh, no way. (now if we had gone with the 1500 sq ft hospitality suite at the Hilton, well, we might have gotten away with it....)

No, I will not travel with a death by chocolate cake. Too much to ask, in this heat, even of me. Besides, I'm sure that it would not measure up to madame nallie's.

BTW, Madwine and Madwino, thanks so much for, well, everything, in advance. And please, bring out the karaoke, I'm horrible, but it's so much fun!

nallie

Sanity, thank you for the great ideas. You are going to be so much fun to have around. I am really glad you can make it to this one, girl!!

javadrinker

sanity wrote:Re a theme, what about just bringing a wine we think everyone will love? We'll state our choices and Jon can then decide on the tasting order.

Or if we really want a theme:

How about up-and-coming (meaning new to some of us, increased imports, etc) regions such as Greece, eastern Europe, Friuli-Venezia Giulia (Italy), Chile, Belgium, Canada, etc.

Or, pick 2 different varietals, say Vionier and Pinot Noir or....OK, you get the idea.

Get those brains a hummin' with ideas. Discuss amongst yourselves.....

The up 'n coming one sounds like a good one...and it's got just the appropriate amount of double meaning that destroyed the line oh so many moons ago.

Another one I thought about was all Rhone varietals which came to mind when either Kyle or TC posted the lyrics to "I'm So Ronery" from the Team America movie.