tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
muratk wrote:Not worth the price! Knock 10 more $$'s off, I will buy it

Go Spend your money on a cheaper better wine...

Have you had this wine? What would you consider to be a cheaper and better wine?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

Cesare

quality posts: 1644 Private Messages Cesare
KarenMarie wrote:I wonder what would have happened had I purchased some right away.

The order would have been cancelled, those states were listed by mistake.
Every winery has to get permission to sell to every state separately. Some states are harder than others, more paperwork, fees, etc. Some states don't allow out of state alcohol shipments at all.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jesterg86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesterg86

Don't know if anyone else cares, but I found it interesting that the picture of the wine bottles reflects a blue, cloudy sky. That kind of balanced lighting on glass is hard to achieve with natural lighting and specular reflections, and if the photographer ever gets on the forum I'd like to find out why he/she chose to create a specular reflection rather than the traditional softlight.

Schug Estate
Dry Creek
Vampire
Woot Cellars
Roessler

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
jesterg86 wrote:Don't know if anyone else cares, but I found it interesting that the picture of the wine bottles reflects a blue, cloudy sky. That kind of balanced lighting on glass is hard to achieve with natural lighting and specular reflections, and if the photographer ever gets on the forum I'd like to find out why he/she chose to create a specular reflection rather than the traditional softlight.

i thought they just grab two bottles and take a picture of it near the window.

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
muratk wrote:Not worth the price! Knock 10 more $$'s off, I will buy it

Go Spend your money on a cheaper better wine...

I think you're on here by mistake. This sounds like a juvie.woot post.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
DonaldWilliams wrote:I think you're on here by mistake. This sounds like a juvie.woot post.

Its the exact reason I don't even look at the regular woot forums anymore.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

KarenMarie

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KarenMarie
Cesare wrote:The order would have been cancelled, those states were listed by mistake.
Every winery has to get permission to sell to every state separately. Some states are harder than others, more paperwork, fees, etc. Some states don't allow out of state alcohol shipments at all.

According to my politicians, they do not allow out of state liquor sales because they don't want to take the chance that they will lose even a penny in tax money. At least that is what the letter I got said. But he put it a little different.

What he said was... that he is a supporter of free trade and would love to have interstate liquor sales. And as soon as the state can figure out a way to collect the taxes on it, they will vote in favor of it.

I was just surprised to see my state listed, hoped beyone hope that things had changed and was gonna jump on it. My state used to be there, ages ago but not recently.

favrerocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages favrerocks

By the by, I'd be happy to be a mouse for this. Mouse, isn't it?

Random Crap x3
Norman, Monticello (rat), Cavedoni (bv), Chase (x3), Benson (x3) and much more to come

jveauthier

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jveauthier
fairnymph wrote:Composition has been posted, but beyond grapes, no other info. I'd like to see at least alcohol content. Both are 2005 according to the pic, same exact wine, 2 of 'em. Unless the picture lies.

From Tastings
http://www.tastings.com/scout_wine.lasso?id=183797

Monticello Vineyards 2005 "Presidential Red', Napa Valley $30.
Now-3 Yrs

Deep garnet color. Spiced plum, baked currant, sandalwood, and buttercream aromas. A satiny entry leads to a dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body of ripe plum, currant, cigar box, and pepper flavors. Finishes with a rich, tangy berry, pepper, and dried herb fade. A zesty red to serve with spicy Asian beef dishes.

WORLD WINE CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal
RATED: 87 points (Highly Recommended)
CATEGORY: Other US Red, Red
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 14%
TASTING LOCATION:
TASTING DATE: Jan-03-2008
WINE ID: 183797

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
jveauthier wrote:From Tastings
http://www.tastings.com/scout_wine.lasso?id=183797

Monticello Vineyards 2005 "Presidential Red', Napa Valley $30.
Now-3 Yrs

Deep garnet color. Spiced plum, baked currant, sandalwood, and buttercream aromas. A satiny entry leads to a dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body of ripe plum, currant, cigar box, and pepper flavors. Finishes with a rich, tangy berry, pepper, and dried herb fade. A zesty red to serve with spicy Asian beef dishes.

WORLD WINE CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal
RATED: 87 points (Highly Recommended)
CATEGORY: Other US Red, Red
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 14%
TASTING LOCATION:
TASTING DATE: Jan-03-2008
WINE ID: 183797

That does tempt me further, thanks!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1644 Private Messages Cesare
fairnymph wrote:That does tempt me further, thanks!

More temptation: a review of the winery.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
KarenMarie wrote:According to my politicians, they do not allow out of state liquor sales because they don't want to take the chance that they will lose even a penny in tax money. At least that is what the letter I got said. But he put it a little different.

What he said was... that he is a supporter of free trade and would love to have interstate liquor sales. And as soon as the state can figure out a way to collect the taxes on it, they will vote in favor of it.

I was just surprised to see my state listed, hoped beyone hope that things had changed and was gonna jump on it. My state used to be there, ages ago but not recently.

Look all the way down on the main Wine.Woot page. You will see links to ShipCompliantBlog.com, which keeps up with ever-changing laws, as well as one to FreeTheGrapes.com, which enables you to contact your state legislature.

Helpful information about why your state may not allow a Woot wine to ship to you. Lots of wooters have wootleggers in a neighboring state to receive the wine for them.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
clayfu wrote: If you think $20 wines are too expensive you might want to stick to not shopping for wine on the internet.

There are plenty of ways to get under $20 bottles of wine for a good price online, and one way is by holding to strict price discipline while participating on wine.woot. I have had several offers that have served to broaden my horizons, while I have not yet spent over $20 a bottle. Other places, names withheld to avoid the plug, have quite reasonable offers on highly rated wines for well under $20, including shipping. In addition, it is rather impossible to find truly good wine for under $20 around here, meaning that looking online is a very good option.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
jesterg86 wrote:Don't know if anyone else cares, but I found it interesting that the picture of the wine bottles reflects a blue, cloudy sky. That kind of balanced lighting on glass is hard to achieve with natural lighting and specular reflections, and if the photographer ever gets on the forum I'd like to find out why he/she chose to create a specular reflection rather than the traditional softlight.

I find the photography at all the woot sites quite interesting. Perhaps this fellow should post sometime. Or maybe he/she does and we just don't know. Anyway, they keep it interesting. On woot.com the TV's always have a unique movie featured (maybe photoshopped?, but i don't think so). Oh, and I do enjoy those little additions of army/lego men in certain pictures. Oh, and the dollar too.

NatalieW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NatalieW
Cesare wrote:You spoke too soon, they're gone now.

Right. I didn't get my hopes up this time! But I am still here....my wine monkey is getting surley ; )

Blackneto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Blackneto

I hate the fact that I had to come into the thread to figure out what exactly was being offered. (not that you fine people are bad company or anything like that...)
The funny blurbs for the products are great. But info about what is being purchased would be even better.

anyhow in for 2. Haven't been steered wrong on the blends by woot yet.
(now that I know it's a blend...)

upperguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages upperguy

Has anyone had wine shipped to New Jersey? It says to expect long delivery times but I was wondering exactly how long tediously long is.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
edthebedhead wrote:I find the photography at all the woot sites quite interesting. Perhaps this fellow should post sometime. Or maybe he/she does and we just don't know. Anyway, they keep it interesting. On woot.com the TV's always have a unique movie featured (maybe photoshopped?, but i don't think so). Oh, and I do enjoy those little additions of army/lego men in certain pictures. Oh, and the dollar too.

Some time ago on some thread on some woot forum (can't remember if it was juvie woot or wine.woot) there was some insight to the photography of the bottles. I do believe most of the shots are done outside in the alley at the StLouis office? I'm sure someone more motivated than myself will be able to find the blog/thread on this topic.

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000

WD - i see massachusetts finally in the lights (first time in 2008??!!!!) but its not listed as a 'ship-to' state.

so....can i finally order and continue my quest to black? or am i out again.

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

dnasquesttoblack3000

upperguy wrote:Has anyone had wine shipped to New Jersey? It says to expect long delivery times but I was wondering exactly how long tediously long is.

when i used to live in AZ and it was 'tediously' long, it took minimum 3 weeks ever (the monkey prize!) and maximum ~6 weeks.

also, for those of you worried about the heat, living in 110 degree arizona, i never used to get spoiled wine, ever.

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

hk94

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hk94

What a worthless description. Humor is fine, if you actually tell me about what you expect me to pay $20 a bottle for.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

dug this up from the vineyard website.............

$30.00
Qty:

My Account View Cart

Our Wines > Monticello Vineyards > 2005 Monticello Presidential Red Wine
2005 Monticello Presidential Red Wine

Tasting Notes:
This wine opens with vibrant aromatics of fresh red berries. This theme follows through to the palate, where I find bright berry flavors. This is a lush fruit-driven wine. Full-bodied, rich and seamless in texture from start to finish, it should accompany a wide range of foods and can be enjoyed before, during, and after a meal.

Blend
46 % Merlot
39 % Cabernet Franc
15 % Syrah

KCFly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KCFly
Imagine4vr wrote:Some time ago on some thread on some woot forum (can't remember if it was juvie woot or wine.woot) there was some insight to the photography of the bottles. I do believe most of the shots are done outside in the alley at the StLouis office? I'm sure someone more motivated than myself will be able to find the blog/thread on this topic.

I too remember that thread. You are correct, the photos are taken in St. Louis, MO outside the office. Reflections will change in the bottles as they choose the location for hte photos based on available light at the time. I'm too lazy to look up that thread also....

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Imagine4vr wrote:Some time ago on some thread on some woot forum (can't remember if it was juvie woot or wine.woot) there was some insight to the photography of the bottles. I do believe most of the shots are done outside in the alley at the StLouis office? I'm sure someone more motivated than myself will be able to find the blog/thread on this topic.

Most of the wine shots are (or used to be, anyway, not sure now) done outside of the St. Louis woot! office. The procedure was to throw them on a saw horse covered with white paper and look for the best outdoor lighting. The position tended to rotate with the seasons. Been awhile since I've been there, so the procedure may be significantly different these days.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

undead1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages undead1

Once again, no Arizona. Can anyone tell me why I used to be able to order wine.woots and now I never can? I have contacted my legislators and they say there is no law in AZ preventing me from ordering wine. Frustrating.

dnasquesttoblack3000

undead1 wrote:Once again, no Arizona. Can anyone tell me why I used to be able to order wine.woots and now I never can? I have contacted my legislators and they say there is no law in AZ preventing me from ordering wine. Frustrating.

i've also noticed this - in years past (2006...2007) the wine-wootability of the tediously slow states was at least 1 every 4 weeks. for the last 6 months its been like never.

the quest:

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
KarenMarie wrote:According to my politicians, they do not allow out of state liquor sales because they don't want to take the chance that they will lose even a penny in tax money. At least that is what the letter I got said. But he put it a little different.

NY is currently trying to make Amazon collect sales tax. My whole world would be ruined if I lost internet purchases.

signed.

canonizer

boaz38 wrote:dug this up from the vineyard website.............

$30.00
Qty:

My Account View Cart

Tasting Notes:
This wine opens with vibrant aromatics of fresh red berries. This theme follows through to the palate, where I find bright berry flavors. This is a lush fruit-driven wine. Full-bodied, rich and seamless in texture from start to finish, it should accompany a wide range of foods and can be enjoyed before, during, and after a meal.

Blend
46 % Merlot
39 % Cabernet Franc
15 % Syrah

Thanks!

signed.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Tics will vote to abolish Lyme disease and Mosquitoes to abolish malaria as soon as they find another way to get your blood.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

Has anyone tried this wine before, or the vineyard for that matter?

CT

PrezRed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PrezRed

Hello All, sorry it took me so long to get on board - a little technical difficulty on my end this morning (no, not a Presidential hangover!). Thanks to those who got the stats for the wine posted from our website. A quick intro on us. My dad, Jay, started our vineyards in 1969 and the winery in 1981. My two brothers, Kevin and Stephen, and myself (Chris) run the winery now. I'm the winemaker and started working in the cellar straight out of high school (2008 will be my 19th harvest for the family). I'll try to keep up with questions/comments about this wine and our winery the best I can ...

Cheers,
Chris Corley

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me ..."
- Thomas Jefferson

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
PrezRed wrote:Hello All, sorry it took me so long to get on board - a little technical difficulty on my end this morning (no, not a Presidential hangover!). Thanks to those who got the stats for the wine posted from our website. A quick intro on us. My dad, Jay, started our vineyards in 1969 and the winery in 1981. My two brothers, Kevin and Stephen, and myself (Chris) run the winery now. I'm the winemaker and started working in the cellar straight out of high school (2008 will be my 19th harvest for the family). I'll try to keep up with questions/comments about this wine and our winery the best I can ...

Cheers,

Chris Corley

Hey Chris,

Quite a few of us 'round here are pretty geeky about our wine. Can you give us some insight into this puppy? Aka... % alc, Brix, blend technique, boxers or briefs...

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

PrezRed

To jesterg86 : We have a very good friend of the family (who is also a wine nut) that is a professional photographer. His name is Mark Burns. He's done photography for some NFL teams in the past. He's been very kind to come out to the winery from time to time and snap shots for us in the field, the cellar, family pics. I'm glad you appreciate his photography and I'll be sure to pass along the comments ...

Cheers,
Chris Corley

- Thomas Jefferson

rco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rco

I'm in for 3.

I've gotten some tasty merlots, a super cabernet franc (Iron Horse) and red blends that included these grapes from wine w00t. I hope the Presidential Red is in the same league as those wines, but anything related to Monticello or TJ is big here in Charlottesville. I know lots of people here who would love a bottle/label regardless of the quality of this wine. (Unfortunately the best VA reds <the most humble CA reds).

Khrisward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Khrisward

Hey everyone,

I actually drank this very wine at a dinner party about three months ago. In fact, I enjoyed it so much my friend gave me another bottle for graduation.

What I remember of the tasting is as follows:

The wine opens with very big mouth-filling fruit flavors of dark berry fruits (cherry, blackberry) which seem to be kissed by a nice mocha character (backed by a slight smoky/earthy essence). The wine has nice depth, and a very smooth texture (thanks to the Merlot), but somehow manages to obtain a fairly weighty mouthfeel - which I very much enjoyed. Overall a VERY enjoyable wine.

For a NAPA valley Cab it's about on-par for the price point, but my friend assures me he bought it for less (he's kind of cheap when it comes to CA wine) so I'm not sure I'm in for one.

canonizer

Khrisward wrote:Hey everyone,

I actually drank this very wine at a dinner party about three months ago. In fact, I enjoyed it so much my friend gave me another bottle for graduation.

What I remember of the tasting is as follows:

The wine opens with very big mouth-filling fruit flavors of dark berry fruits (cherry, blackberry) which seem to be kissed by a nice mocha character (backed by a slight smoky/earthy essence). The wine has nice depth, and a very smooth texture (thanks to the Merlot), but somehow manages to obtain a fairly weighty mouthfeel - which I very much enjoyed. Overall a VERY enjoyable wine.

For a NAPA valley Cab it's about on-par for the price point, but my friend assures me he bought it for less (he's kind of cheap when it comes to CA wine) so I'm not sure I'm in for one.

Did your friend buy it for less than retail or less than this price? If so, what year? Did he perhaps find a close out. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been 'studying' this month's Beverage Media and many of the deals we see on woot are closing in on the price wine stores pay.

signed.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
rco wrote:I'm in for 3.

...(Unfortunately the best VA reds <the most humble CA reds).

Don't sell yourself short man, I for one completely disagree, one of my favorite bottles of wine I've ever had was a interesting blend of Touriga, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Norton, I think...from Keswick Vineyards..they called it Trevillian. Also Baboursville (sp?) had a couple that knocked my socks right off...a barbera I remember, and another odd blend...Octagon. CA is great and all, but I loves me some off state juice.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

PrezRed

paryb wrote:Hey Chris,

Quite a few of us 'round here are pretty geeky about our wine. Can you give us some insight into this puppy? Aka... % alc, Brix, blend technique, boxers or briefs...

All of our wines are made from estate-grown grapes, which means that we control every aspect of the winemaking process from the time the rootstock goes into the ground until the bottled wine is shipped from our casegoods warehouse.

This particular wine is made from grapes grown on our Knollwood Vineyard property which is across the street from our winery in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley (southern end of the valley). The Merlot is clone 181, the Cabernet Franc is clone 312, and the Syrah is clone 470.

We've been having fun with Cabernet Franc and Merlot based blends since the 1999 vintage when we released our first "CORLEY" Proprietary Red Wine. The Presidential Red is a continuation of that desire to keep playing with blends from different blocks in the vineyard and with different clones, and gives us an outlet for a high quality blended red wine at lower price point than our "CORLEY" offering.

I don't have my stats in front of me, but the alcohol is about 14.6%, the TA about 0.50, and the pH about 3.80. I generally keep each varietal separate during fermentation to evaluate the lots independently. After we complete malo-lactic fermentation in barrel, I start playing around with potential blends. I'll usually put blends together in stages. For instance, for our "big red blends" (Cab Sauv, Merlot, Cab Franc, Red Wine) I'll do a primary blend after about 12 months in barrel, secondary blend after about 18 months in barrel, and final blending prior to bottling. I like to do the blending in stages because I can see how components are interacting, and also how individual lots are developing prior to using them in the blend.

Cheers,
Chris

- Thomas Jefferson

LuluS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LuluS
boaz38 wrote:dug this up from the vineyard website...
$30.00

Tasting Notes:

Blend
46 % Merlot
39 % Cabernet Franc
15 % Syrah

Thanks Boaz. I appreciate folks sharing their research (& tasting experiences)with the rest of us.
In for one!

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
PrezRed wrote:All of our wines are made from estate-grown grapes, which means that we control every aspect of the winemaking process from the time the rootstock goes into the ground until the bottled wine is shipped from our casegoods warehouse.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for such a fantastically informative post. Often winemakers answer only a few of our geeky questions in the first try, but you answered all and more fully than most. It's interesting about the multiple blending times you use (I haven't heard anything this specific about blending from a winemaker on here yet), and I would love to be there at each blending time, taste the wine, and hear your thoughts.