INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

Unfortunately, IMO the bennies to decanting are so often overlooked. The situation may not always be ideal but if it is possible, I may choose one of the following:
I like to decant at least an hour before serving. I also keep the bottle so I can transfer the wine back if there is any wine left and save it for the next day. If I do not have a decanter handy I can double decant if need be. The wine will still benefit from aerating twice and allows me to remove any sediment. I’ve found a funnel and a fine filtering screen a very good investment as well to remove sediment so I do not have to deal with it in the glass. If I know ahead of time I will open the bottle I’ve chosen to drink earlier in the day. The drawback for me when decanting in a glass is what about the next glass and for me there is usually a next glass. There was a time when I assumed only aged wines required decanting. To the contrary, I have found that age is not the deciding factor as is the type of wine. I also tend to be more careful when decanting very old wines as the components I am trying to bring to life are much more delicate and tend to disappear much faster. IMO, a decanted wine (spec. red) of any age generally rewards you for taking the time. Then I am only left with the bigger issue of quality.
I hope this helps.

Go to winecountryconnect.com for a nice inexpensive decanter…and there is my shameless plug for WD.

Happy Friday to all the w.w.’s and the cyber pubers!

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
mketner wrote:Just got home from work today and see that I am chosen to be the guinea pig (wine reviewer). My first time, and I couldn't have had a better present for a Friday after a long work week.
*snip*
All that being said, this is probably one of the best chardonnays that I have ever had. If you are looking for a sweeter taste they you should look elsewhere. This chardonnay has all the really good character of the grape and very little of the residual sugars that I feel kill most whites. This chardonnay has not gone too far down the other side of the spectrum however.

MK: you are going to kill my pocketbook! I'm trying sooooo hard to not go in for this one.
[mutter] ...stooopid, frakkin' woot-off last week...[/mutter]

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Do we have clues and/or ideas for the next offering?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:Do we have clues and/or ideas for the next offering?

Usually not until Sunday. Every so often we can persuade WD to post them on Saturday evening, but usually Sunday sometime.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
canonizer wrote:My gf's not a wine-lover, but she's interested. At some point I said, "gf, you're going to start telling me what you taste instead of asking me what you should be tasting." This improved the winedrinking experience with her dramatically for me.

And yet, in her heart of hearts, she miller high life girl. I've never seen such a successful marketing campaign as 'the champagne of beers'. People quote to you like it's a fact: Did you not know that miller high life is the champagne of beers?!?

um, of course I know! miller said it to you; it's printed on the fracking label.

I had never actually heard that miller high life is the 'champagne of beers' but I rarely drink beers of that general type (light, domestic, large breweries). Marketing FAILED on me apparently. I blame growing up sans TV.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

smlauren wrote:Where does the difficulty come in for you?

Well, I've been known to drink a bottle a day before (during certain periods) BUT generally, I'm mostly only able to do that with rosés and really, really good reds (such as the PoiZin). Now I'm on meds that sedate me, combine that with more than 2-3 glasses of red wine, and I'm out like a light.

I need a wine buddy!

MarkDaSpark

fairnymph wrote:Well, I've been known to drink a bottle a day before (during certain periods) BUT generally, I'm mostly only able to do that with rosés and really, really good reds (such as the PoiZin). Now I'm on meds that sedate me, combine that with more than 2-3 glasses of red wine, and I'm out like a light.

I need a wine buddy!

Buy some 375ml wines (usually dessert wines, but there is the Biale Royal Punisher PS in 375ml too). Drink the wine, save the bottle.

Then when you open a bottle, pour half into the smaller bottle and cork it (regular or special) for the next night. Several of us do this, and it works very nicely.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

Manos: The Hands of Fate! I was chosen as a lab rat for the 2006 Pinot Grigio. Since Loweel lives but a few blocks away, it seemed only neighborly to ask him to join me. [And yes, to those of you who wish to know, he is as personable and courteous in person as he is on the board.] Perhaps he'll post his own tasting notes later.

Hardware: We each tasted in a set of two Reidel glasses: the Sauvignon Blanc tumbler and a generic white wine stem. Both us preferred the tumbler, as it tended to concentrate the bouquet.

Pale gold in color, with legs of surprising length, the wine was initially tight right out of the chilly refrigerator, tasting of green apples. Nice acidity, but not overwhelming. Attempted pairing with parmesan reggiano nice, but not singing.

After a bit more time out of the refrigerator, and after tasting with a brilliant vegetable saute courteously contributed by Loweel, the wine opened a bit more with a hint of floral notes. After a bit more conversation, the wine opened fully - nice body, good balance with carmelized fruit...baked apples? A hint of grilled pineapple?

Conclusion: this is no high-acid paint thinner. Although most Pinot Grigio is best served well chilled, this wine surprises with depth, roundness, flavor and structure that carries through to nearly room temperature. Which would make it ideal an ideal "cocktail party" wine...

...but only if you could stand the thought of sharing.

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

Labrats reporting in on the Pinot Blanc:

Tasted with my wife. As a forward note, we did this a while after dinner (popcorn, Sour Patch Kids, and pop at WALL*E with the kids), and with crackers and cheese (please don't ask what kind) after the kids left with grandma. Let it be noted that we are like Ebert and Roeper when it comes to our wine - thumbs up or thumbs down. So we're trying here. Ask questions if you want, I'll be around tomorrow.

When I first opened the PB - at a fairly cold 40-45º, a sweet smell of pear accented by apples absolutely jumps out. This bodes well for my wife who loves sweet wines.

It is a nice pastel yellow when poured, looks pretty in the glass.

Smells good, looks fine, hoping the taste will blow our minds:

First taste, somewhat effervescent, but more smooth, sweet on the tongue, with the same pear and apple coming through in bushels. The finish is delectable – the sweetness fading somewhat, with the warmth and body enveloping the tongue and throat (my wife described the taste/feel as smoky in a good way). Good body, nice finish, not as sweet once it is down.

Second tasting - wine has warmed up significantly, and the experience is almost the opposite from above. There is a pleasant tartness at the top, reaching over the sweetness of the pear and apple, although they are still there.

As the wine moves through the mouth, the tartness mostly evaporates, leaving a pear and apple finish even more pronounced than it was before, less smoky

Although there were two distinct tastes, we enjoyed it both ways. With the first tasting, the wine was sweet, which made it very approachable. As it warmed up and flared its true colors, it was a little more dry. However, it was too late for someone who likes sweeter wines (the wife) to back out of, she was hooked. I may have to up my order...

As you can see, we tasted twice, leaving about half the bottle left over. The wine stood by its own with our 'impromptu' menu, and was very enjoyable on a warm summer night.

We are completely kidless tomorrow night, when we plan to finish the bottle off. I am taking suggestions on home-made, preferably land-based meals that take less than an hour from prep to finish for under $25 ingredients for two. After making that meal, I will come back and report back additional notes at that time.

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2

I know this is off topic, but I have scored my first "First sucker" over on tacky woot... revel in my greatness...

Syma Fairy Remote Controlled Micro Helicopter
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: LBISurfer2
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.140s

Last wooter to woot: sweetsparrow

Oh yeah I had my first bottle of Saxon Brown in my life last night, we opened the Zin and I absolutely loved it. Awesome wine, I am so glad I have another bottle. And in response to the whole "I rarely drink my woot wines" conversation, I am completely the opposite. I usually drink my bottles from woot within two weeks. I dont really have a great place to store so down the hatch they go. Thanks again to WD and everyone here on the boards for the great juice and knowledgeable conversation.

Dabeastmode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dabeastmode

I really like wine but i don't have the cash but i recommend it

MarkDaSpark

All Donati White Offer Labrats reporting have been packed into the Labrat Thread on World of Woot Wine.

Summary Post is here.

Thread also contains all previous labrat postings available.

mketner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mketner
CpprCr8 wrote:MK: you are going to kill my pocketbook! I'm trying sooooo hard to not go in for this one.
[mutter] ...stooopid, frakkin' woot-off last week...[/mutter]

It does produce a bit of a hangover the next day. That could have been the additional beers or the liquor. The wine was delicious.

50+ Woots and Counting

Sparky120v

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sparky120v

Looks like Wyoming and Colorado might have a "problem"......

blusky558

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blusky558
Sparky120v wrote:Looks like Wyoming and Colorado might have a "problem"......

Uh, it's not me this time. I'm thinking my wine.woot friend in the northern part of WY got in on this offer. I've had to hold back a bit to save $$ to see my son after he gets back from A-stan this fall.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

At kkv's place lies a deep, dark, secret. One that has been lurking in our conversations, changing our words, nay, even our very thoughts.

MANOS, THE HANDS OF FATE!!!

I pretty much had the same tasting notes as kkv. Only instead of pineapple, mine was more apple pie filling. I had a bit more baking spice than she did, and more honey on the finish, almost viognier-like. In fact, it's the anti-torrontes, in that it's more acidic on the attack and smoother on the finish.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
Loweeel wrote:At kkv's place lies a deep, dark, secret. One that has been lurking in our conversations, changing our words, nay, even our very thoughts.

MANOS, THE HANDS OF FATE!!!

I pretty much had the same tasting notes as kkv. Only instead of pineapple, mine was more apple pie filling. I had a bit more baking spice than she did, and more honey on the finish, almost viognier-like. In fact, it's the anti-torrontes, in that it's more acidic on the attack and smoother on the finish.

What would have happened had kkv gotten the chardo-NO? After my lurking mostly, posting occassionally, I am surprised you partook in the white wine, unless any wine at no price is palatable to you.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
auggie24 wrote:What would have happened had kkv gotten the chardo-NO? After my lurking mostly, posting occassionally, I am surprised you partook in the white wine, unless any wine at no price is palatable to you.

I *LOVE* viognier and southern hemisphere SB, especially in the summer. I just don't like CaliChard and the majority of the PGrigs that I've tried.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

ptoledo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptoledo

how much of a difference does the type of wine glass make? reidel is expensive...

Gig 'em Aggies!

dfvlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfvlee
ptoledo wrote:how much of a difference does the type of wine glass make? reidel is expensive...

The shape of the glass can make or break a wine. Reidel, with many good competitors out there, study the shape of the glass and how it delivers the aroma and wine to your palate.

Go get one Reidel or comparable glass and taste the same wine from whatever you mostly use at home and see the difference.

Having said this, if I am drinking wine that is cocktail wine (really simple wines or just wine I am so familiar with that I can just drink alone without a lot of fuss), I will use a rocks glass. Kicking it old school ;)

ptoledo

dfvlee wrote:The shape of the glass can make or break a wine. Reidel, with many good competitors out there, study the shape of the glass and how it delivers the aroma and wine to your palate.

Go get one Reidel or comparable glass and taste the same wine from whatever you mostly use at home and see the difference.

Having said this, if I am drinking wine that is cocktail wine (really simple wines or just wine I am so familiar with that I can just drink alone without a lot of fuss), I will use a rocks glass. Kicking it old school ;)

Which shape should I select? I normally drink red wines, but there are so many options.

Gig 'em Aggies!

dfvlee

ptoledo wrote:how much of a difference does the type of wine glass make? reidel is expensive...

I should mention, Reidel has sales reps regionally and from time to time, a good wine shop will bring in the Reidel rep for a tasting demonstration they are very adept at. If you see it, sign up - it's worth it.

I was fortunate enough to sit through George Reidel's class while he was still alive. I've been a big stemware proponent ever since.

FYI, we extend a 20% discount on our stemware to our wine club members. Most wineries will only discount on wine. Not trying to plug, just passing along the info.

Other good ways to save $ on stemware - craigslist and ebay. Who cares if they're gently used?

Finally, Reidel makes a dishwasher safe series, too. I don't like using a heavy soap either. I have horrible memories of my college girlfriend's father gooing up his stemware with dishsoap after each use. The next use always had bubbly and soapy tasting wine. Gag.

dfvlee

ptoledo wrote:Which shape should I select? I normally drink red wines, but there are so many options.

I use the Reidel "utility" shape for whites and reds like Zin and slamming wines. My every-day reds are the Reidel Bordeaux dishwasher safe series. If you drink mostly Rhones or Pinots, consider getting that shape and pour other reds in them. I really don't think that each variety needs it's own glass. George is rolling over in his grave.

For Bordeaux and monster Cabs, I use Eisch breathable crystal. Spendy but AMAZING glasses for special occasions.

ptoledo

dfvlee wrote:I use the Reidel "utility" shape for whites and reds like Zin and slamming wines. My every-day reds are the Reidel Bordeaux dishwasher safe series. If you drink mostly Rhones or Pinots, consider getting that shape and pour other reds in them. I really don't think that each variety needs it's own glass. George is rolling over in his grave.

For Bordeaux and monster Cabs, I use Eisch breathable crystal. Spendy but AMAZING glasses for special occasions.

thanks for the info!

Gig 'em Aggies!

dfvlee

Loweeel wrote:I *LOVE* viognier and southern hemisphere SB, especially in the summer. I just don't like CaliChard and the majority of the PGrigs that I've tried.

Try Alsatian dry whites and New Zealand dry Riesling. Most of the aforementioned are naturally dry, but in reading your post, I think you'll dig these wines. Most NZ exports are Sauv Blancs, but the Rieslings are SUBLIME! I like Huia. Alsace blows my mind. And if I can spend any $ on white, three words: vintage German Riesling (dry to off dry). Had a '74 Spatlese that changed my life.

There's a shop in SF, Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant. Email Peter Granoff (MS, MW), the owner, he knows German Rieslings (along with his old friend Tim Gaiser, MS) and can recommend some dandies.

dfvlee

ptoledo wrote:thanks for the info!

Most welcome, mon frere.

kramerd

quality posts: 11 Private Messages kramerd
tomatillo wrote:Was that reference to the corkless screw top? If not, the xenophile (as opposed to the oenophile) in me appreciates the quote, notwithstanding a few delightful summers in the south central part of France (great caves!) with Parisian friends who taught me that their rudeness did not mean they hated Americans, they claimed to be rude to everybody - even their own countrymen. A very egalitarian approach. The kids are now home from day camp. Time to break out some of that summer wine and soak up the Minnesota late afternoon sun!

I agree, when the kids are home its time to drink

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

dfvlee wrote:I use the Reidel "utility" shape for whites and reds like Zin and slamming wines. My every-day reds are the Reidel Bordeaux dishwasher safe series. If you drink mostly Rhones or Pinots, consider getting that shape and pour other reds in them. I really don't think that each variety needs it's own glass. George is rolling over in his grave.

Apologies for plugging a rival, but this is a decent deal on stemware (will likely be gone tomorrow night). My best purchases have been Reidel "O" (Pinot Noir & Sauvignon Blanc/Sake/spirits) and my Waterford Mondavi glasses, most of which I got half-off on that Amazon sale last year.

IMHO, if you *must* own one glass, it's a Bordeaux. Second glass would be a Fume Blanc, third Burgundy/Pinot Noir. From there, whatever varietal you drink/want (or champagne flute if you drink sparklers). Chances are pretty slim you'll notice an appreciable difference from an EXACT glass vs. the closest shape you've already got (Burg, Bord, Fume).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

IR thermometer on sellout.woot

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

IR Thermometer on sale on Sellout. Anyone getting through to w00t proper?

EDIT - Gah! Beat me!

EDIT EDIT - Hah! Beat you!

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

For those looking for one, the ThermoHawk IR thermometer is up @ sellout.woot.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

fairnymph

MarkDaSpark wrote:Buy some 375ml wines (usually dessert wines, but there is the Biale Royal Punisher PS in 375ml too). Drink the wine, save the bottle.

Then when you open a bottle, pour half into the smaller bottle and cork it (regular or special) for the next night. Several of us do this, and it works very nicely.

Well, I buy most of my wine on woot so....:\

I am thinking of getting a vacuum thingamagig though.

Aaron385

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Aaron385
Loweeel wrote:Whites:
NZ Sauv Blanc (or I can recommend some great ones from Chile too)
Torrontes from Argentina (starts like viognier, finishes like SB)
Viognier (pref. from Northern Hemisphere) -- it's the "White for Red Drinkers"

These are probably good places for red fans to start.

Thanks again for these recommendations Loweeel! I went to my local wine place (Specs) and picked up a 2007 Crios De Susana Balbo Torrontes (from Argentina) and a 2007 Brancott (New Zealand) Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. We will try these out while we wait for our first wine.woot (which btw take about how long to arrive??).

The guy in the store said he "didn't really have any Viognier".. is this really possible? He sounded a little unsure of himself when he said it and Specs isn't known for its incredibly knowledgeable staff. I will check another local place Monday.

dwdyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwdyer
fairnymph wrote:I am thinking of getting a vacuum thingamagig though.

I have the Rabbit vaccum thing (the older non-lever version, the pump version like the Houdini), but I believe VacuVin to be just as good, perhaps better.

However, I had a Houdini, which I thought to be the same as a Rabbit, and it broke on the third use. Maybe I didn't stop soon enough when pumping? So they replaced it for free with no hassle, but the second one broke shortly thereafter.

I was going to try the VacuVin but now I had these extra stoppers, so with a BB&B gift card I received I bought another one, but silver plastic and branded "Rabbit". Still Metrokane, but not the lever version.

(FWIW, I've got a Rabbit corkscrew -- works great, but it stays in the drawer, I prefer my $5 waiter's corkscrew instead.)

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

FWIW, some $5 corkscrews I've seen rivaled more than $7 I've seen purchased by a caterer locally.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
thrawn1020 wrote:FWIW, some $5 corkscrews I've seen rivaled more than $7 I've seen purchased by a caterer locally.

The best corkscrew I have is the one I got free with my labrat. It's the basic knife style type thing, don't know what it's called. think swiss army knife. Probably would cost 3 bucks in the store. Love it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

Of course, WD will post the clues while I'm driving back home or over at my folks (no Internet!!!)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 15.627s

Last wooter to woot: JOATMON

In for 2, because I need a few more whites to balance the overwhelming preponderance of reds in my basement.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

KurtBiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KurtBiz
kkv123 wrote:Attempted pairing with parmesan reggiano nice, but not singing.

Loweel/kkv123, you know of a good place online to buy a wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano? I was inspired by an Iron Chef episode the other day and I see it being sold on many different sites but am not sure how the quality/authenticity differs between the different sellers. Thanks.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
KurtBiz wrote:Loweel/kkv123, you know of a good place online to buy a wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano? I was inspired by an Iron Chef episode the other day and I see it being sold on many different sites but am not sure how the quality/authenticity differs between the different sellers. Thanks.

I came in at the end of the Iron Chef episode, just in time to see the dishes. Instantly hungry!

I picked up mine at the local Whole Foods, which has a nice cheese department. But if I were purchasing online I'd go to www.igourmet.com, from whom I've purchased cheese gifts in the past. Nice selections, and a huge variety. Checking today, I saw that they carry a kosher Parmesan Reggiano, an organic PR, regular PR ( in a half-pound, full pound or three-pound cut), and Parmesan Reggiano Vacche Rosse.

A random check of google revealed coupon codes at several websites that could save you 5% (or more, in some cases) on any igourmet.com order. Which makes that Parmesan Reggiano Cream Butter very tempting...