+ Add a Comment

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

DETAILS:
THEME:DC Dark and Delicious (a.k.a. iByron, a.k.a. L's B&B)
DATE: 8/23
HOST: KKV (send PM for directions)
Please note: KKV is graciously hosting at a community facility -- please be prepared to contribute both money toward the rental fee and time toward post-tasting cleanup duties.

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

PLEASE REMEMBER:
  • Bring your own glasses
  • Bring $5 contribution to cover the facilities rental fee (payable to KKV, who has already taken care of pre-payment)
  • Please also check Cheron's Exchange List for anything you need to bring (or pay for) for trading with someone else

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:So #4 was a sparkling success, and we've already pegged the end of August for #6. Theme is DC Dark and Delicious (nice alliteration, Loweeel). We're also expecting so special guests from Chicago (TMR and Charon).

The question is, are we talking 8/23 or 8/30? And who is hosting (Loweeel, Hershel, BunnyM)?

I ain't from Chicago, I'm from Detroit (okay, outside Detroit)! And it's ChEron... Personally, I would prefer if it's 8/23, since I -think- the Detroit tasting is going to be the 30th. Although if you guys want the 30th, we can do the 23rd... that'd work too.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse

If it's 8/23 I should be able to host. I'll confirm this in the next week or so.

If I do host, location would be in Herndon, not far from 267 intersection with 7100 in the VA area. This would be outside the beltway, and possibly a bit longer drive for those driving straight from 66 in.

121 Woots and counting

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I am happy to host either weekend.

The only consideration is that 8/30 is labor day weekend, so some folks might be out of town or have other plans.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

jwhite6114

cheron98 wrote:I ain't from Chicago, I'm from Detroit (okay, outside Detroit)! And it's ChEron... Personally, I would prefer if it's 8/23, since I -think- the Detroit tasting is going to be the 30th. Although if you guys want the 30th, we can do the 23rd... that'd work too.

Touchy, touchy. Detroit, Chicago -- to a girl on her own, it's all the same (100 points to anyone who name the movie that's from).

Sorry for the misrep; I'll be sure to correct on the next update.

As for me, both weekends appear to work right now. And Herndon is closer for me than Alexandria, though Loweeel's place has been excellent for each of the events he has hosted, so far.

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

jwhite6114 wrote:Touchy, touchy. Detroit, Chicago -- to a girl on her own, it's all the same (100 points to anyone who name the movie that's from).

Sorry for the misrep; I'll be sure to correct on the next update.

As for me, both weekends appear to work right now. And Herndon is closer for me than Alexandria, though Loweeel's place has been excellent for each of the events he has hosted, so far.

K, I know where Alexandria is. Where the heck is Herndon in relation to Fredericksburg? ... I'm going to Google it now, yeah yeah...

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

"Dark and Delicious" Been called that more than once in my day. Sounds like my kind of party!

Personally, I'd prefer Labor Day as that's when I usually get down to visit my folks. Plus, it puts some distance between #5 and my conference in Atlanta earlier in the month.

Either way, I'll be there because Cheron is bringing my Uruguayan jewel, Monte Vide Eu! No, I won't open it there (sorry, I love y'all but some things are meant for "that special someone"...at least the first time), but I know what I will bring to this one:

2004 Pisano ArretXea (consider it Monte Vide Eu light)
A Tannat "Triangular"
- Uruguayan Tannat
- Virginia Tannat (someone else can feel free to bring this one)
- Madiran (100% Tannat)
and
Pennsylvania's first Petit Sirah

iByron
(and the "i" is for "I see a mountan!")

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Loweeel

iByron wrote:"Dark and Delicious" Been called that more than once in my day. Sounds like my kind of party!

Personally, I'd prefer Labor Day as that's when I usually get down to visit my folks. Plus, it puts some distance between #5 and my conference in Atlanta earlier in the month.

Either way, I'll be there because Cheron is bringing my Uruguayan jewel, Monte Vide Eu! No, I won't open it there (sorry, I love y'all but some things are meant for "that special someone"...at least the first time), but I know what I will bring to this one:

2004 Pisano ArretXea (consider it Monte Vide Eu light)
A Tannat "Triangular"
- Uruguayan Tannat
- Virginia Tannat (someone else can feel free to bring this one)
- Madiran (100% Tannat)
and
Pennsylvania's first Petit Sirah

iByron
(and the "i" is for "I see a mountan!")

I've got the VA Tannat. Picked up the Horton '01 today. It's tasty!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

iByron wrote:Either way, I'll be there because Cheron is bringing my Uruguayan jewel, Monte Vide Eu!

It's sitting in a place of honor on my newly finished wine rack. The other wines are jealous. I had to stop them from fighting.

Now to figure out what to bring... maybe I'll find a Michigan wine to bring...

Loweeel

cheron98 wrote:It's sitting in a place of honor on my newly finished wine rack. The other wines are jealous. I had to stop them from fighting.

Now to figure out what to bring... maybe I'll find a Michigan wine to bring...

Do they even grow red grapes in Michigan?

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cheron98

Loweeel wrote:Do they even grow red grapes in Michigan?

Yah You find a lot of cherry wines out here, but they've got some merlot, and I saw a concord somewhere. St. Julian I think. No PS by a long shot though.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
bunnymasseuse wrote:If it's 8/23 I should be able to host. I'll confirm this in the next week or so.

If I do host, location would be in Herndon, not far from 267 intersection with 7100 in the VA area. This would be outside the beltway, and possibly a bit longer drive for those driving straight from 66 in.

Don't apologize for Herndon! It's closer to Arlington & Alexandria than where I live, so there ARE worse options. And it will be a shorter drive home for JW! Me - a bit longer, but considering my drive now, it's not a big deal.

jwhite6114

cjsiege wrote:Don't apologize for Herndon! It's closer to Arlington & Alexandria than where I live, so there ARE worse options. And it will be a shorter drive home for JW! Me - a bit longer, but considering my drive now, it's not a big deal.

Date is more important than distance (though with fuel prices where they are I do actually think about that when I consider my cost for the evening, anymore -- it's now over $10 a day just to get to work) for me, so I am happy to go where the party is. I am speaking NoVA, of course; I'm not quite so as adventurous as Sparky or some others who have begun crossing state lines for these events. Very cool for the rest of us though.

CT | | | | | |

bunnymasseuse

Well I'm not apologizing, just letting people know that it's not closer to Loweeel's in driving, but for some it may be closer/further away for planning. Like I said, I'll confirm whether I can do this for sure, then we'll fight over who wants to host. After all, this will be Loweeel's B&B celebration, he may want to roll it to us at home

121 Woots and counting

cheron98

Finally heard back from my sis, and I am indeed going to be out there also on the weekend of the 9th. Personally, I'd prefer this be at Loweeel's only because I'm not super familiar with driving the area, and Lo's closer to my sister's place where I'll likely be staying. Or I may just say screw it and get a hotel room for the night closer to wherever it's being hosted so I don't have to do the drive

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Loweeel wrote:I am happy to host either weekend.

The only consideration is that 8/30 is labor day weekend, so some folks might be out of town or have other plans.

my (clearly self-serving) vote is for 8/23. i'm certainly not driving this bus, but i can't make it over LDW.

EDIT: oh, and btw, i am PUMPED about the prospect of meeting y'all!!!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous

bunnymasseuse wrote:After all, this will be Loweeel's B&B celebration, he may want to roll it to us at home

B&B?!? did you mean D&D?!? or am i hopelessly confused?!?

EDIT: ahh, thanks to Sparky (& you!), i am now just somewhat confused!

Loweeel

themostrighteous wrote:my (clearly self-serving) vote is for 8/23. i'm certainly not driving this bus, but i can't make it over LDW.

How could we have a D&D without you? Of course, we could just have a general wine party the following weekend too. I'd be down for that

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:How could we have a D&D without you? Of course, we could just have a general wine party the following weekend too. I'd be down for that

NICE!!! NoVA / DC Tastings #6a & #6b one week apart?!? at some point, people are going to start asking questions; "no, i don't have a problem, i really don't!"

Loweeel

themostrighteous wrote:NICE!!! NoVA / DC Tastings #6a & #6b one week apart?!? at some point, people are going to start asking questions; "no, i don't have a problem, i really don't!"

Besides, the PS fest would be most fitting at Casa Loweeel. That way I could have them all out and breathing well before anybody else shows up. Plus I'll have some verticals... I wonder what I would do with all those leftovers... and this way, I think we'd have some people who wouldn't even need to bring wine!

(insert diabolically clever purple-blue-black-stained grin here)

Let's see... we'll have an '04 and '05 concannon. An Unti. A PSPS. The Dry Creek won't be ready yet. I could also string together a 4 year KRPS vertical, from '99-02, with the '01 being a reserve... apparently he didn't make an '03, and the '04 seems somewhat available as well. Maybe an occasion to open a Munch as well (but that's tentative at best).

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Loweeel wrote:Besides, the PS fest would be most fitting at Casa Loweeel. I wonder what I would do with all those leftovers...

As long as you don't do what you did at the end of #4 (I really need to get those pics up!)

And there's this one (no stained grin, but ...) :

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
themostrighteous wrote:my (clearly self-serving) vote is for 8/23. i'm certainly not driving this bus, but i can't make it over LDW.

You will have a lot of fun!!! And the B&B meant Bread & Butter ...

And now I want to go again!!! So maybe I don't get the better hybrid. Decisions, decisions.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bunnymasseuse

themostrighteous wrote:B&B?!? did you mean D&D?!? or am i hopelessly confused?!?

B&B meaning Bread and butter ;)
(bah trumped by Mark!)

121 Woots and counting

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:Besides, the PS fest would be most fitting at Casa Loweeel. That way I could have them all out and breathing well before anybody else shows up. Plus I'll have some verticals... I wonder what I would do with all those leftovers... and this way, I think we'd have some people who wouldn't even need to bring wine!

Let's see... we'll have an '04 and '05 concannon. An Unti. A PSPS. The Dry Creek won't be ready yet. I could also string together a 4 year KRPS vertical, from '99-02, with the '01 being a reserve... apparently he didn't make an '03, and the '04 seems somewhat available as well. Maybe an occasion to open a Munch as well (but that's tentative at best).

YUMMM!!! i'm comin' guns a blazin'! i'll post my tentative list of PS to contribute later just to start the collective DROOL-ATHON! gotta run...

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:NICE!!! NoVA / DC Tastings #6a & #6b one week apart?!? at some point, people are going to start asking questions; "no, i don't have a problem, i really don't!"

... ow I just bit my tongue to keep from laughing out loud at work! So we're pretty much confirmed on the 23rd, yes? And Loweeel seems to be the logical host?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

My vote also goes with it being the 23rd and at Loweeel's, since I can't do the 30th as I'll be away for LBW (so the 23rd is the only one that works for me) and as I'd be taking the bus down to DC I'd not exactly have any other way to get anywhere besides L's. And hopefully getting from wherever the bus would drop me off to get to L's wouldn't be too difficult.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:My vote also goes with it being the 23rd and at Loweeel's, since I can't do the 30th as I'll be away for LBW (so the 23rd is the only one that works for me) and as I'd be taking the bus down to DC I'd not exactly have any other way to get anywhere besides L's. And hopefully getting from wherever the bus would drop me off to get to L's wouldn't be too difficult.

Hey HAK, have you heard about MegaBus? Play your cards right, you might be able to get a round trip ticket for $2.

Loweeel

MarkDaSpark wrote:You will have a lot of fun!!! And the B&B meant Bread & Butter ...

And now I want to go again!!! So maybe I don't get the better hybrid. Decisions, decisions.

Or just moratorium until then. Also, priceline (bidding) is cheaper, but less convenient. Scour ebay for JetBlue vouchers. And you can save on a car rental by using bus/metro to the hotel.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

Loweeel

cheron98 wrote:Hey HAK, have you heard about MegaBus? Play your cards right, you might be able to get a round trip ticket for $2.

BoltBus is what I'm taking on Friday. I'll let you know how it is. FAST internet (unlike dc2ny) AND plugs! booking in advance = CHEAP.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:Or just moratorium until then. Also, priceline (bidding) is cheaper, but less convenient. Scour ebay for JetBlue vouchers. And you can save on a car rental by using bus/metro to the hotel.

please forgive the laziness (cuz i know you posted these in a prior tasting thread), but please remind me what hotels are near you (& preferably near the Metro as well).

Loweeel

themostrighteous wrote:please forgive the laziness (cuz i know you posted these in a prior tasting thread), but please remind me what hotels are near you (& preferably near the Metro as well).

This is the best place to stay in combination of quality, value, and distance. Sparky stayed there, so he'd be the one to ask about the hotel -- it's somewhere between half a mile and 0.75 miles from my place.

It's about a 15-min walk from my house. I'm just north of VaSQ metro, and this is just southwest of Ballston, which is the next stop west of VaSQ. The whole Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is metro-accessible and pretty easily walkable, with 4 stations, one every 0.5 miles or so.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:This is the best place to stay in combination of quality, value, and distance. Sparky stayed there, so he'd be the one to ask about the hotel -- it's somewhere between half a mile and 0.75 miles from my place.

It's about a 15-min walk from my house. I'm just north of VaSQ metro, and this is just southwest of Ballston, which is the next stop west of VaSQ. The whole Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is metro-accessible and pretty easily walkable, with 4 stations, one every 0.5 miles or so.

COOL-IO!!!

themostrighteous

themostrighteous wrote:YUMMM!!! i'm comin' guns a blazin'! i'll post my tentative list of PS to contribute later just to start the collective DROOL-ATHON! gotta run...

here is my tentative contribution:

2004 Robert Biale Petite Sirah Thomann Station (USA, California, Napa Valley)
2005 Massena Durif Howling Dog (Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley)
2005 St. Helena Winery Petite Sirah Violation St. Helena Winery Vineyard, Block #5 (USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena)
2004 Robert Foley Petite Sirah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District)

drooling yet?!? I AM!!! i can't wait!

EDIT: L, my main man, please check your email.

jwhite6114

So, in deference to our multitude of out of town guests, it seems that 8/23 is the target date and Loweeel's is again the ideal location. In order that we have a target against which everyone may throw objections, here is how it looks at the moment:

HOST: Loweeel

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. Loweeel
    2. ChEron
    3. TMR
    4. HaK
    5. jwhite
    6. BunnyM
    7. Hershelk
    8. iByron
    9. CJ

MAYBES:
    1. Sparky Mark

REGRETS:
  • everyone who misses this one

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

themostrighteous wrote:here is my tentative contribution:

2004 Robert Biale Petite Sirah Thomann Station (USA, California, Napa Valley)
2005 Massena Durif Howling Dog (Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley)
2005 St. Helena Winery Petite Sirah Violation St. Helena Winery Vineyard, Block #5 (USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena)
2004 Robert Foley Petite Sirah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District)

drooling yet?!? I AM!!! i can't wait!

EDIT: L, my main man, please check your email.

For attendees, I am happy to pick up for you (or suggest that you pick up) an '04 Massena from WL while still in stock (~$30). As we learned at CWWT #2, the only thing better than X bottles of PS is an X bottle of PS vertical!

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cheron98

jwhite6114 wrote:ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
    1. Loweeel
    2. ChEron

You aren't gonna let that go, are you

Loweeel

jwhite6114 wrote:So, in deference to our multitude of out of town guests, it seems that 8/23 is the target date and Loweeel's is again the ideal location. In order that we have a target against which everyone may throw objections, here is how it looks at the moment:

HOST: Loweeel

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
    1. Loweeel
    2. ChEron
    3. TMR
    4. HaK
    5. jwhite
    6. BunnyM
    7. Hershelk
    8. iByron
    9. CJ

MAYBES:
    1. Sparky Mark

REGRETS:
  • everyone who misses this one

Things to bring:
Toothbrush and toothpaste!!! Those Foleys are I HAVEN'T BATHED IN DAYS on the mouth.
Lots of super-sharp cheddar/bleu cheese.
An entire lamb, for grilling. Other big red meat will go well too. This is the time for the biggest, gamiest, scariest cuts you can find.
I will buy futures in smoked paprika and white pepper and laugh all the way to the bank.

I will also open one of my Prager PS ports for dessert. I think Cigars will also be in order -- I can supply some, but there is also a cigar store a few blocks away.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cheron98

Loweeel wrote:This is the best place to stay in combination of quality, value, and distance. Sparky stayed there, so he'd be the one to ask about the hotel -- it's somewhere between half a mile and 0.75 miles from my place.

I LOVE Westin. Holy carp. Always quality there

cheron98

Loweeel wrote:For attendees, I am happy to pick up for you (or suggest that you pick up) an '04 Massena from WL while still in stock (~$30). As we learned at CWWT #2, the only thing better than X bottles of PS is an X bottle of PS vertical!

Yeah, MI wines suck. Pick one up for me and I'll pay you when I get out there? That'll be my contribution.

bunnymasseuse

Does D&D mean I can bring Merlot?

121 Woots and counting