+ Add a Comment

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

The divine Ms. M (in this case, M=Madwine) has generously agreed to provide the gorgeously appointed clubhouse at her development as a venue for our debauchery, umm - I mean subdued tasting party. She requests in return that I organize it. Please post your theme ideas and schedules here so we can pull this par-tay together. Thank you for your support.
***EDIT TO ADD VIEWER GUIDELINES***
Due to the extreme graphic nature of this thread, parents are strongly cautioned to exercise oversight of any children in the area. Many posts contain imagery not suitable for minors. If you are yourself a minor, please do not consider this warning a thinly-veiled, overly-titillating siren's song. No, we mean it. Don't read this. There is talk of BowTie in speedos. Just go read a book. Or go outside and get some sunshine. This is no way to spend your summer vacation anyway, cooped up in front of a glowing blue box. That's just wrong on so many levels. Go make some friends. Kick a ball. Kiss a girl. Write a haiku. Just don't read this thread. Really.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Pretty much the calendar is wide open except for the weekend of the RPM trip (and really the weekend before that). So that locks out the weekend of 7/12 and 7/19 for me. And my druthers is for a Friday or Saturday night. I'd just get a hotel nearby rather than make the drive back to OC that night. Sounds like I'll be in no condition to do so anyway if I try to keep up with you two.

So how's about some time at the end of this new month?

As for themes...um...er...I got nothing.

This is why I don't hosts parties myself...tain't my forte.

EDIT: Wait, weren't we going to tie this in with a Loweeel visit? When was he planning on coming to Cali?

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

what city/region is the clubhouse in?

nallie

Northeast Carlsbad. Lovely clubhouse with ample indoor seating, a kitchen and overall impeccable ambiance. Outdoor patio area has a fireplace, strolling paths, and even more seating.

As for the Loweeel visit, aren't the NoVa wooters going on like their 15th tasting at this point? Can't we rally enough to have one in June and one when L visits, too? I think we can, but maybe that's just me. What do you guys (and dolls) think?

"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
nallie wrote:The divine Ms. M (in this case, M=Madwine) has generously agreed to provide the gorgeously appointed clubhouse at her development as a venue for our debauchery, umm - I mean subdued tasting party. She requests in return that I organize it. Please post your theme ideas and schedules here so we can pull this par-tay together. Thank you for your support.

I did? Don't remember that Maybe Java will have a hard time keeping up w/ us!

Jon and I just strolled up there tonight. It's actually a great venue for a wine tasting social. We look forward to it!

clayfu

nallie wrote:Northeast Carlsbad. Lovely clubhouse with ample indoor seating, a kitchen and overall impeccable ambiance. Outdoor patio area has a fireplace, strolling paths, and even more seating.

As for the Loweeel visit, aren't the NoVa wooters going on like their 15th tasting at this point? Can't we rally enough to have one in June and one when L visits, too? I think we can, but maybe that's just me. What do you guys (and dolls) think?

i probably won't be there june, but please do not plan with that in mind. I never know how my mood maybe to make the drive down to san diego =)

nallie

madwine wrote:I did? Don't remember that

Oh, sure; you remember. It was right after you promised I could come to your house whenever I wanted and carry away as much Maximus and merlot as my car could hold, and right before we had the cat fight

Seriously, Madwine, you are so sweet to hostess and I know the crowd will love the chance to rub shoulders with the winemaker, if his shoulders are in town that weekend instead of at a vineyard topping barrels!

Won't be the same without you, Clayfu. I hope you can make it. As an added incentive - Parker loved several of Jon's wines, and so did I. If our hostess pours even a bottle or two of the family wine, it'll be worth a tank of gas for sure.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I would be pleased to attend, if out an towner is welcome! (Does it count that I was born and raised in La la land and live in HB for 12 years?) I'm only a 5 hour drive away.

javadrinker

nallie wrote:Northeast Carlsbad. Lovely clubhouse with ample indoor seating, a kitchen and overall impeccable ambiance. Outdoor patio area has a fireplace, strolling paths, and even more seating.

Hmmmmm...drink wine...in 2 different months you say? Inconceivable. I'm in.

javadrinker

madwine wrote: Maybe Java will have a hard time keeping up w/ us!

Nallie has seen me drink and lose money at nickel slots...I can keep up.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
javadrinker wrote:Pretty much the calendar is wide open except for the weekend of the RPM trip (and really the weekend before that). So that locks out the weekend of 7/12 and 7/19 for me. And my druthers is for a Friday or Saturday night. I'd just get a hotel nearby rather than make the drive back to OC that night. Sounds like I'll be in no condition to do so anyway if I try to keep up with you two.

So how's about some time at the end of this new month?

As for themes...um...er...I got nothing.

This is why I don't hosts parties myself...tain't my forte.

EDIT: Wait, weren't we going to tie this in with a Loweeel visit? When was he planning on coming to Cali?

Last weekend of June will not be good for me, as the family may be celebrating my Bday then. The weekends before are okay.

What about a Rosé party? Especially since I just bought a whole bunch at my local wine shoppe. NoVA/DC is having a Rosé-ta Stone party in July.

Or we could do Sparkling Wines too. I still have a Sparkling Chambourcin (which was one of the hits at NoVA/DC #4)

Or Sauvignon Blancs from around the world (since my Dry Creek may arrive by then). Or wines from the Southern Hemisphere (Aussie, NZ, Chile, Argentina, & Uruguay).

And Loweeel is coming on August 15 (a Friday), with his brother I think. Which will be perfect since the family (sis & family, my son and I) will be visiting San Clemente that weekend (Thursday - Sunday), and I can sneak away.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

nallie

sanity wrote:I would be pleased to attend, if out an towner is welcome! (Does it count that I was born and raised in La la land and live in HB for 12 years?) I'm only a 5 hour drive away.

TMTMier, girlie! You are welcome with a capital W. Plus, I've always heard a little sanity is a good thing to have at any gathering.

Seriously, please join us. We'd all love it.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Hmmmmm...drink wine...in 2 different months you say? Inconceivable. I'm in.

Try 3 months (June - Party 1, July - RPM trip, August - welcome Loweeel party)

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

nallie

javadrinker wrote:Nallie has seen me drink and lose money at nickel slots...I can keep up.

Ah, but Java, for one golden moment we were up 4 bucks. Top o' the world, baby.

Glad you're in. I know you normally only drink wine once or twice a year, so I especially appreciate your being so accommodating. x2

nallie

MarkDaSpark wrote:Last weekend of June will not be good for me, as the family may be celebrating my Bday then.

Sparky, is it possible our birthdays are near each other? Hmmm. Can't decide whether I'm delighted or alarmed.

I'm on an every other weekend parole type of situation, so for me the 13th-14th (which seems too soon) or the 27th -28th (which sounds like it's difficult for Mark) would be ideal. I could conceivably get a sitter on the weekend in between, but it complicates things exponentially.

Keep adding your thoughts, please.

clayfu

the only problem with doing one varietal only is you get massive palette fatigue. I love sparkling wine but I think i'd die from all the carbonation if we only drank that.

Pinot Noir's from around the world would be nice =P. Or a Southern hemisphere is fun (i've done it before, great stuff!)

MarkDaSpark

clayfu wrote:the only problem with doing one varietal only is you get massive palette fatigue. I love sparkling wine but I think i'd die from all the carbonation if we only drank that.

Pinot Noir's from around the world would be nice =P. Or a Southern hemisphere is fun (i've done it before, great stuff!)

We didn't have that problem at NoVA/DC #4 (the fatigue). iByron was very good about organizing the wines that everyone brought, so we had a good selection (Whites, Rosé's, Red's (Shiraz, Chambourcin, & Lambrusco), and dessert. And we had some other regular wines in there as well:

Moreson Chenin Blanc
Vala Fioretti 2006 (Pennsylvania, provided by iByron)
Armida Pinot Noir 2005
Dry Creek Cabernet Sauvignon (good stuff)
Laplace Madiran (Tannat) (brought by iByron)

nallie

MarkDaSpark wrote:We didn't have that problem at NoVA/DC #4 (the fatigue). iByron was very good about organizing the wines that everyone brought, so we had a good selection (Whites, Rosé's, Red's (Shiraz, Chambourcin, & Lambrusco), and dessert. And we had some other regular wines in there as well:

Moreson Chenin Blanc
Armida Pinot Noir 2005

Gotta say I'm with Clayfu on this one, Mark. Plus we want a theme that allows our hostess to provide a bottle of her wine, if she's feeling generous.

Maybe just a 'bring the best bottle you can afford to share' or a 'best find under $20' or 'your fav woot wine' or something? Could one of those work? Please volunteer your thoughts, all. I want it to be a pleasant experience for everyone.

javadrinker

nallie wrote:Gotta say I'm with Clayfu on this one, Mark. Plus we want a theme that allows our hostess to provide a bottle of her wine, if she's feeling generous.

Maybe just a 'bring the best bottle you can afford to share' or a 'best find under $20' or 'your fav woot wine' or something? Could one of those work? Please volunteer your thoughts, all. I want it to be a pleasant experience for everyone.

How about "best wine varietal we can't pronounce"...and Tempranillo doesn't count for you anymore.

nallie

javadrinker wrote:How about "best wine varietal we can't pronounce"...and Tempranillo doesn't count for you anymore.

You are very correct, sir. Thanks to an excellent tutor I have that one mastered. Although MadWine was explaining to me last night that tobacco hints tend to come from Mourvedre and I now have a new varietal I cannot seem to pronounce correctly. Maybe if I practice it when we haven't yet had 3 1/2 bottles, I'd stand a better chance...

clayfu

clayfu

MarkDaSpark wrote:We didn't have that problem at NoVA/DC #4 (the fatigue). iByron was very good about organizing the wines that everyone brought, so we had a good selection (Whites, Rosé's, Red's (Shiraz, Chambourcin, & Lambrusco), and dessert. And we had some other regular wines in there as well:

Moreson Chenin Blanc
Armida Pinot Noir 2005

you guys had different type of wine.. not just one varietal so you wouldn't have the palette fatigue.

Also i'm sure Javier and I can figure something out for traveling together =).

javadrinker

clayfu wrote:you guys had different type of wine.. not just one varietal so you wouldn't have the palette fatigue.

Also i'm sure Javier and I can figure something out for traveling together =).

You know it man...just remember, I did say I'm spending the night down there...and I don't share rooms.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
sanity wrote:I would be pleased to attend, if out an towner is welcome! (Does it count that I was born and raised in La la land and live in HB for 12 years?) I'm only a 5 hour drive away.

I'm pretty sure out of towners are plenty welcome at all wine.woot gathers. After all, I'm from NY and I've been to the Chicago one, am going to the CT one, and am being forced to go to the NoVA#6 one. I'd love to come out sometime for the San Diego one (since I got friends out there even), but a trip like that will have to wait until I can actually afford it...which probably won't be for a couple years.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

javadrinker wrote:You know it man...just remember, I did say I'm spending the night down there...and I don't share rooms.

...unless it's with someone wearing stilettos.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

javadrinker

HitAnyKey42 wrote:...unless it's with someone wearing stilettos.

Why do we even bother bringing out the line anymore? It hasn't been used in months.

madwine

ooohhhh, naughty, naughty HAK! I'm guessing Nallie hasn't seen that yet, as you appear to still be alive

HAK? You are still alive, right?

nallie

A*hem, a*HEM. I'm in the room; I can hear you; you know that, right?

I'm sure you are implying another stiletto wearing girlie, which is fine, because our name is Legion down here in beautiful San Diego. But just in case, let me get all puffed up and defensive for a second and defend my honor. Java is a dear friend and all, but he won't be spending the night with me or my stilettos. Just wanna make that perfectly clear to the masses, my gal pals from the ‘hood, and my ex, all of whom read this site. Thank you for indulging me in my defensive posturing. You may now return to party planning and etc.

nallie

madwine wrote:ooohhhh, naughty, naughty HAK! I'm guessing Nallie hasn't seen that yet, as you appear to still be alive

HAK? You are still alive, right?

Best say your goodbyes to our HaK while there's still time, MadWine.

HitAnyKey42

nallie wrote:Best say your goodbyes to our HaK while there's still time, MadWine.

If you come out here for the assassination, I promise to host a wine.woot party in your honor. Just make sure to kill me AFTER I've had my wine.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

nallie

HitAnyKey42 wrote:If you come out here for the assassination, I promise to host a wine.woot party in your honor. Just make sure to kill me AFTER I've had my wine.

Sounds fair. And the airfare would probably be tax deductible since it's a business related expense and all.

I'll let you know...

madwine

HitAnyKey42 wrote:If you come out here for the assassination, I promise to host a wine.woot party in your honor. Just make sure to kill me AFTER I've had my wine.

Well wait a min. Let's think this thru . . . details . . . what's to come of your wine collection?

HitAnyKey42

madwine wrote:Well wait a min. Let's think this thru . . . details . . . what's to come of your wine collection?

Well if I'm getting assassinated, I'd think the whole collection needs to get drunk at the party before I die....all 300+ bottles of it. Does that sound fair enough?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

madwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:Last weekend of June will not be good for me, as the family may be celebrating my Bday then. The weekends before are okay.

Sparky, I noticed you said "may" be celebrating then. When will you expect confirmation on your familys plans?

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Thank you madwine and nallie for getting this started.

I am ava all of July and August. I have a couple suggestions for a theme:
Compare 2 types of wines, one more familiar, one less familiar, for instance, SB and Albarino, or Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc, the idea being to get people out of their comfort zone re favorite types of wine.
I like the idea of tasting the same varietal, but from different wineries, regions, etc. SB from CA, the Northwest, Australia and New Zealand, Europe. Riesling from sweet to dry, domestic and imported. Same idea with reds. I know this theme is often done, but it's a great way to discover new wines.

madwine

sanity wrote:Thank you madwine and nallie for getting this started.

I am ava all of July and August. I have a couple suggestions for a theme:
Compare 2 types of wines, one more familiar, one less familiar, for instance, SB and Albarino, or Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc, the idea being to get people out of their comfort zone re favorite types of wine.
I like the idea of tasting the same varietal, but from different wineries, regions, etc. SB from CA, the Northwest, Australia and New Zealand, Europe. Riesling from sweet to dry, domestic and imported. Same idea with reds. I know this theme is often done, but it's a great way to discover new wines.

exactamondo! Looks like Nallie is slacking off in her event coord. duties

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
nallie wrote:Sparky, is it possible our birthdays are near each other? Hmmm. Can't decide whether I'm delighted or alarmed.

I'm on an every other weekend parole type of situation, so for me the 13th-14th (which seems too soon) or the 27th -28th (which sounds like it's difficult for Mark) would be ideal. I could conceivably get a sitter on the weekend in between, but it complicates things exponentially.

Keep adding your thoughts, please.

Shouldn't *he* be alarmed, not you? I can totally see you enforcing the exclusivity of your birthday at knifepoint (or stiletto-point)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

nallie

Loweeel wrote:Shouldn't *he* be alarmed, not you? I can totally see you enforcing the exclusivity of your birthday at knifepoint (or stiletto-point)

Valid point. And good idea. When I'm done the day will be mine, all mine I tell you. Sorry Sparky, u b dead man walking.

nallie

madwine wrote:exactamondo! Looks like Nallie is slacking off in her event coord. duties

Never, my dear MadWine. Simply allowing the committee to get the impression that they have a say and that this event will be fun for all. Shortly, I will segue the topic to our advantage while failing to reveal our agreed upon plot - to ply them with wine at a rate equal to, but not to exceed, the rate at which they unpack your boxes and reseed my lawn.

madwine

Loweeel wrote:Shouldn't *he* be alarmed, not you? I can totally see you enforcing the exclusivity of your birthday at knifepoint (or stiletto-point)

Seriously L, don't let her sweet demeanor on these boards fool you! You don't want to be her next victim! No, really! Notice that we haven't heard from HAK? Yea, he's says it's volleyball . . . but did she force him to write that before she off'd him? Just saying . . . .

Nallie, you know I love you . . . and I'm not just saying that to protect me and mine! Now let's pull this event together!!!!