cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

So we're going to have a varietal battle. We've selected 2 varietals (that coincidentally are polar opposites in the world of wine) - 1 red, 1 white. 2 different wineries for each varietal will be pitted, er, neck-to-neck, to determine a favorite between the two. If we continue doing this sort of thing, the winners will move on to the next time the varietal comes up. Otherwise, we'll just announce our winner for the day and move on.

Varietals:
Petite Sirah
- 2005 Concannon Limited Release
- 2005 Peltier Station

Pinot Grigio
- 2006 Mandolina
- Challenger TBD

Menu is going to include such lovelies as PS Burgers (though nowhere near as good as Master Loweeel's, I'm sure), crayfish/crawfish, and clams, and assorted veggie stuff.

Attendees:

• cheron98
  • oppsie +1
  • Zoomba77
  • cyborgdo211

Maybes:
  • the old man

Regrets:
  • lizziemae7
  • borisgoodenough +1
  • woopdedoo
  • conroo

Too good for us:
  • tommycat
  • TMR

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
cheron98 wrote:So, let's get this started. Here's the idea I had sort of hashed out for what we could do for the next (series) of tastings... a varietal battle. Should help limit what all we've got so we don't run into the same "problem" of having so much to try that we can't possibly get to it all.

We pick 2 to 4 varietals to try (1 to 2 white, 1 to 2 red). We bring together 2 or 3 different wineries of each varietal, and compare. The winning ones move on to the next time that varietal comes up to be pitted against newcomers, and so on.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I'm thinking it'll be in August, but not the 9th or 23rd, as it looks like I'll be in VA those weekends. Any other weekend should be just fine. So how's peoples availabilities looking?

I'm also going to ask that this time around everyone chips in on the food in some way - either bring something or have a cover charge. I'll be happy to cook again, but last weekend (and this week) really wiped me out for money.

I like it. And definitely you should require some sort of remittance in either food/drink or money. That's why I showed up with two of the three and now I can sleep at night.

I have a family wedding the 31st so please don't make it then. And if you humor me, that starts narrowing things down even further for dates, hooray!

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I like it. And definitely you should require some sort of remittance in either food/drink or money. That's why I showed up with two of the three and now I can sleep at night.

I have a family wedding the 31st so please don't make it then. And if you humor me, that starts narrowing things down even further for dates, hooray!

I'd rather it not be on a Sunday anyway Although that -is- Labor Day weekend and MONDAY could be a possibility, so maybe 9/1? I'll put some dates up in the first post and we can start tallying.

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77
cheron98 wrote:I'd rather it not be on a Sunday anyway Although that -is- Labor Day weekend and MONDAY could be a possibility, so maybe 9/1? I'll put some dates up in the first post and we can start tallying.

I'm up for any of the August dates, and I like Saturdays as opposed to Sundays (you know... just in case we have too much wine, and too much fun, it would suck to get up early on Monday).

Also, thumbs-up on the more limited tasting idea. And I'll gladly pay a cover next time to help on the food bill. I couldnt believe how much food we had!

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:I'm up for any of the August dates, and I like Saturdays as opposed to Sundays (you know... just in case we have too much wine, and too much fun, it would suck to get up early on Monday).

Also, thumbs-up on the more limited tasting idea. And I'll gladly pay a cover next time to help on the food bill. I couldnt believe how much food we had!

So the only Sunday I'd go for would be the 31st, since we'd have Monday to recover. Except oppsie MUST come, so that's just right out

Part of why there was so much food was simply all the different pairings. With a leaner selection of wines, I can limit the foods as well - 2 proteins (red meat, white meat) instead of like 5 - and still have the veggies and cheeses of course. But the cheeses were the most expensive part, I think. I probably spent more on them than on the lamb & prawns combined - and that's with shopping at Costco.

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:So the only Sunday I'd go for would be the 31st, since we'd have Monday to recover. Except oppsie MUST come, so that's just right out

Part of why there was so much food was simply all the different pairings. With a leaner selection of wines, I can limit the foods as well - 2 proteins (red meat, white meat) instead of like 5 - and still have the veggies and cheeses of course. But the cheeses were the most expensive part, I think. I probably spent more on them than on the lamb & prawns combined - and that's with shopping at Costco.

btw, I submit PS as one of the varietals, especially since you are a newb to it and I am also still a newb, imho, but am trying to stock up on low-mid end. If nothing else, we can do Concannon and Bogle both of which can be found for 13 or less usually in the area. Costco has the Bogle for like 8.99 iirc. (I'll check when I go this weekend...and buy some. )

cheron98

oppsie wrote:btw, I submit PS as one of the varietals, especially since you are a newb to it and I am also still a newb, imho, but am trying to stock up on low-mid end. If nothing else, we can do Concannon and Bogle both of which can be found for 13 or less usually in the area. Costco has the Bogle for like 8.99 iirc. (I'll check when I go this weekend...and buy some. )

They have it. At least the one in Northville does. I picked one up tonight.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:btw, I submit PS as one of the varietals.

To quote you... Yes. YES YES. Also yes. Please take this one away from me before I drink the whole bottle in one night... I think I'll take a trip to WineStyles this week and see if they've got any PS in stock somewhere.

I haven't had a lot of merlot, so maybe we can do that as the second red.

I like Pinot Grigio and in particular, the Cavit. But I've not compared it against the Mandolina, in truth, I didn't get any of it at the last tasting. So I'd like to pit those two against each other, so that'll be the first white.

cheron98

ahem. *bump* Ok, where are all you people? I know you're out there...And I know her spryteliness has an excuse, but the rest of you? Input!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

FAIL. I will be gone. This simply doesn't work for me. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

oppsie

superspryte wrote:FAIL. I will be gone. This simply doesn't work for me. ^_~

Obv you will have to fly back for this. Only if you fail to do so will this truly be a FAIL. EPIC FAIL.

stuipdfiltersblaghalrhgaljrhg

cheron98

oppsie wrote:Obv you will have to fly back for this. Only if you fail to do so will this truly be a FAIL. EPIC FAIL.

Agreed, on all counts

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

oppsie wrote:Obv you will have to fly back for this. Only if you fail to do so will this truly be a FAIL. EPIC FAIL.

Send me a ticket and I'm there. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Finally on CellarTracker. Same name. 15 bottles need to be consumed before I leave (a few are kind of crappy and were given to me and I'll just give them to people who don't understand wine).

oppsie

superspryte wrote:Finally on CellarTracker. Same name. 15 bottles need to be consumed before I leave (a few are kind of crappy and were given to me and I'll just give them to people who don't understand wine).

I'll take that Maximus, LL PS, and the TCs off your hands if you can't find time to drink them... ($$ of course unless you're feeling charitable)

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Finally on CellarTracker. Same name. 15 bottles need to be consumed before I leave (a few are kind of crappy and were given to me and I'll just give them to people who don't understand wine).

Which 15?

I'll take any or all of the Wellingtons, and I'm sure cjseige would love the Mumm. I'd be happy to transport it in August (I'll PM to inform). And I think Stephanie (my trainer) would rather enjoy taking that SS Ice off your hands. I'll ask her tomorrow if she's interested.

Let me know how much you'd want for these.

cheron98

cheron98 wrote:Which 15?

I'll take any or all of the Wellingtons, and I'm sure cjseige would love the Mumm. I'd be happy to transport it in August (I'll PM to inform). And I think Stephanie (my trainer) would rather enjoy taking that SS Ice off your hands. I'll ask her tomorrow if she's interested.

We'll even drink one at the tasting, in your honor!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Which 15?

Heh, they'll all be consumed. Promise. ^_~

Anything with a 2010 or later close will be living in my stepmom's basement until I return. There are twelve that I need to consume, assuming I give away the ones I didn't buy (and don't want). That's one every 3 days, which is nothing considering five are 375 ml bottles.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Heh, they'll all be consumed. Promise. ^_~

Anything with a 2010 or later close will be living in my stepmom's basement until I return. There are twelve that I need to consume, assuming I give away the ones I didn't buy (and don't want). That's one every 3 days, which is nothing considering five are 375 ml bottles.

Oh sad No wine in your honor! No honor for you!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Oh sad No wine in your honor! No honor for you!

I'm not the one who tried to sell my wines to people before making sure that's what was going on. ^_~

cheron98

superspryte wrote:I'm not the one who tried to sell my wines to people before making sure that's what was going on. ^_~

Yeah yeah you made it sound like you were trying to offload. Not consume. WE were just trying to help But hey if you don't want to make a few pennies....

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Yeah yeah you made it sound like you were trying to offload. Not consume. WE were just trying to help But hey if you don't want to make a few pennies....

Pennies? Why? I can drink liquid gold instead. ^_~

cheron98

Hey, do we maybe want to do a flavor profile training day sometime? Not so much with having wines there, but doing a collection of random foods to start recognizing flavors, à la GV?

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Hey, do we maybe want to do a flavor profile training day sometime? Not so much with having wines there, but doing a collection of random foods to start recognizing flavors, à la GV?

I'll supply the wet dog, you supply the cat pee.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I'll supply the wet dog, you supply the cat pee.

I got cat fur last night, which is apparently a flavor available in petit verdot.

cheron98

cheron98 wrote:I like Pinot Grigio and in particular, the Cavit. But I've not compared it against the Mandolina, in truth, I didn't get any of it at the last tasting. So I'd like to pit those two against each other, so that'll be the first white.

Oops, I drank the Mandolina tonight... Hm, wonder where I can find it around here...

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Oops, I drank the Mandolina tonight... Hm, wonder where I can find it around here...

I have three...

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I have three...

Oh goodie. Tho if I get a few people who want it, I might be picking up a case from the winery, since they're having a sale - buy a case, get 50% off.

Zoomba77

I'm all for a flavor profile training thing. I'd also love a crash-course on wine terminology and how to properly taste wine.

oppsie

Zoomba77 wrote:I'm all for a flavor profile training thing. I'd also love a crash-course on wine terminology and how to properly taste wine.

Book that is not bad: The New Wine Lover's Companion. I'll bring it next time we meet.

cheron98

Sooo.... man you guys are a quiet few. Or maybe it's just cuz there's fewer of us

So what say ye to a 7/19 flavor profiling, and 8/16 tasting?

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Sooo.... man you guys are a quiet few. Or maybe it's just cuz there's fewer of us

So what say ye to a 7/19 flavor profiling, and 8/16 tasting?

Works for me.

Zoomba77

oppsie wrote:Works for me.

Ditto.

cheron98

Okay, so it'll be 7/19 for the palate training, and 8/16 for the tasting, and it looks like we're doing PS and PiG. Any other varietal suggestions?

Man, with NoVA/DC #6 the week after, I'm -really- gonna be getting into the PS. Invites to come soon. The tasting is going to be open, but I think I'm going to leave the training to just a select few (you guys and a couple friends that I know are actually trying to develop their palates).

cheron98

I'm going to put up a new thread for the palate training day.

Attendees so far (for tasting on 8/16):
Wooters:
cheron98
oppsie
Zoomba77

Non-Wooters:
John
Liz

cheron98

yeeeah... it was about to get lost, so i'm just kinda bumping it back up...

I'm currently working on venue. Haven't decided if it'll be at my house again or if we can manage to get into a restaurant I have in mind. I'll keep you posted.

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:yeeeah... it was about to get lost, so i'm just kinda bumping it back up...

I'm currently working on venue. Haven't decided if it'll be at my house again or if we can manage to get into a restaurant I have in mind. I'll keep you posted.

innnnteresting. Now I'm curious.

cheron98

Hi. Where'd this go... oh there it is!

cheron98

So who's bringing what? Any ideas yet?

cheron98

THIS JUST IN: Announced in the CyberPub originally...

We have a venue for the tasting: Gaucho Brazilian Steakhouse in Northville! (You can blame Sparky for my having to announce this.)

I am trying to get us in for the lunch service, to make the cost be $20 per person. This does not include beverage, but with the wine, who needs "beverage"? For you vegetarians, there is a LOVELY GORGEOUS salad bar, and that alone is I think $12 or $15. I don't yet have a firm cost on corking fees. I will let you know as soon as I know.

So now, who's bringing what wine?