updated-pdated details, schmetails:
THEME: Goes w/ Steak OR Big & Bold (Take Your Pick)
DATE: 6/8 3 PM
HOST: Tango Sur (3763 N. Southport Ave., 773-477-5466)
ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
themostrighteous - 2002 d'Arenberg Riesling The Noble + 2004 d'Arenberg d'Arry's Original (unless hardground confirms that he is coming & decides to bring this bottle in which case i'll bring something else instead)
tommythecat78 (+1 or 2?) - TBD BOTTLE(S)
ashecorvin (subject to what The Man has to say about it) - TBD BOTTLE
crusaderRabbit - 2003 Wellington Cuvee R Syrah OR 2005 Iron Horse Cab Franc
Imagine4vr - TBD Wellington Cab Sauv
thepatch (+1) - 2003 Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz + 2006(?) Edmeades Zinfadel
craiggery (+1 or 2?) - 2005 Sterling Vineyards Cab Sauv OR 2004 Helix Pomatia
NO CAN DO-EY
lauratchi + Joel
if you are planning on attending but haven't posted here yet, then PLEASE CONFIRM ASAP. if you have posted here but haven't indicated what wine(s) you are bringing, then PLEASE CONFIRM ASAP. now to answer several questions that are out there:
1. we have eight confirmed attendees as of right now. that is close enough to the ten minimum required for the reservation such that i feel comfortable holding it. there is technically no maximum - Tango Sur is not particularly busy Sunday mid-afternoon when the Cubs are on the road -, so the more the merrier (hear that craiggery?). but please observe the one bottle per person minimum.
2. like many true traditional BYOBs, Tango Sur has no real stems or decanters to speak of, so here is what i would suggest in that regard:
- please bring you own stems if you have them. if you do not, then please let me know, and i'd be happy to lend you one of these on a first come, first served basis (i own eight).
- please do NOT bring your own decanters, as they can quickly overpower what little table space we will otherwise have available (one of the disadvantages of having a tasting in a restaurant). instead, i would strongly recommend that you either decant your wine in advance & rebottle it OR uncork it (likely mid to late Sunday morning) & let it breathe until it's time to head to Tango Sur, your call. if you need any pointers on whether & how long to decant / breathe, then please post your queries here, and we will try to collectively give you our views.
3. i will try to remember to bring along solid plastic cups for those of us planning on swishin' & spittin'. don't know how w/out spittin' all over yourself?!? no worries, mates, i will be more than happy to provide a demonstration (though no guarantees that i won't spit all over myself)! which reminds me: dress however you like, but i would suggest to you that white may not be the best choice for a (mostly) red wine tasting!
did i forget to address anything?
MAN, OH MAN, AM I GETTING EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!