cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Hi folks! I seem to have acquired more wine than my meager cellar can handle, and I'm looking to have a little fun in creating more space. Almost all of my wines have come from wine.woot, and I have a decent sampling of wineries. If there's anyone else on here in the Detroit area that would like to get together for a tasting (bring your own or just have some of mine!) please let me know! I would be super glad to host a tasting, possibly in mid-May.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
cheron98 wrote:Hi folks! I seem to have acquired more wine than my meager cellar can handle, and I'm looking to have a little fun in creating more space. Almost all of my wines have come from wine.woot, and I have a decent sampling of wineries. If there's anyone else on here in the Detroit area that would like to get together for a tasting (bring your own or just have some of mine!) please let me know! I would be super glad to host a tasting, possibly in mid-May.

YES. YES YES.

also yes.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:YES. YES YES.

also yes.

Ooh I love enthusiasm ;) Excellent - I was beginning to get afraid that I was the only one here from the area! Get a couple more people in on this and we'll start talking dates.

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Ooh I love enthusiasm ;) Excellent - I was beginning to get afraid that I was the only one here from the area! Get a couple more people in on this and we'll start talking dates.

yes!

ante up detroiters. My cellar, too, is 90% woot wines, but that's okay.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
cheron98 wrote:Hi folks! I seem to have acquired more wine than my meager cellar can handle, and I'm looking to have a little fun in creating more space. Almost all of my wines have come from wine.woot, and I have a decent sampling of wineries. If there's anyone else on here in the Detroit area that would like to get together for a tasting (bring your own or just have some of mine!) please let me know! I would be super glad to host a tasting, possibly in mid-May.

I might be up for it (though I am in the Lansing area).

cheron98

woopdedoo wrote:I might be up for it (though I am in the Lansing area).

Lansing's not too terribly far away - straight shot down 96. I'm on the Northville/Novi border. I have some space available for lodging for those who aren't comfortable driving a longer distance at the end of the evening, and there's a TON of hotels within 5 minutes from my house.

I do, however, have a cat, so those with allergies be forewarned. I also keep a supply of Claritin on hand which so far seems to tackle the allergies pretty well.

buttercup27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buttercup27
cheron98 wrote:Lansing's not too terribly far away - straight shot down 96. I'm on the Northville/Novi border. I have some space available for lodging for those who aren't comfortable driving a longer distance at the end of the evening, and there's a TON of hotels within 5 minutes from my house.

I do, however, have a cat, so those with allergies be forewarned. I also keep a supply of Claritin on hand which so far seems to tackle the allergies pretty well.

I'm on the Livonia/Redford border, depending on the day of the week I'm in!

cheron98

buttercup27 wrote:I'm on the Livonia/Redford border, depending on the day of the week I'm in!

Sweet! It'll very likely be a Saturday, as trying to squeeze it in during the work week is super rough.

How's May 17th looking for folks? Say, beginning around 3pm?

cheron98

If you're OK with this date/time, PM me your email address and I'll get you the details!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

This idea is made of WIN! ^_____^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

cheron98

superspryte wrote:This idea is made of WIN! ^_____^

Thanks

Waitin on those email addresses ;)

jenniem2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenniem2000

This is a great idea! Unfortunately I can't make that date, but I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if another date pops up for the future. I'm new to this woot site but have been spending way too much time on the others...

cheron98

jenniem2000 wrote:This is a great idea! Unfortunately I can't make that date, but I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if another date pops up for the future. I'm new to this woot site but have been spending way too much time on the others...

I can also alternatively do the week prior or 2 after (5/10, 5/31) if the 17th is no good. Let me know what y'all would like and we'll set it up

cheron98

*bump*

cheron98

Looks like the date is going to be set for May 17th. Please PM me your email address to be included on the invite (I use evite for my party planning needs). If you'd prefer to just email me, I can be reached at cheronangel [at] gmail [dot] com. Looking forward to seeing you there!

oppsie

I sent the invite two other friends, both of who are part-time wooters, so we'll see if they show. And I'll be taking some of that claritin, thanks.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I sent the invite two other friends, both of who are part-time wooters, so we'll see if they show. And I'll be taking some of that claritin, thanks.

Excellent I'll probably be banishing the cat to the basement for the afternoon/evening just to reduce the risk of her escaping, but I'm sure I'll miss some fur somewhere. The claritin will be ready!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Okay, so I doubt you're actually in Detroit, so where will this be? Also PM'd ya because I definitely missed that reply earlier, hee.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

oppsie

superspryte wrote:Okay, so I doubt you're actually in Detroit, so where will this be? Also PM'd ya because I definitely missed that reply earlier, hee.

Too weird, I was just thinking about you and that you'd BETTER be coming.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

oppsie wrote:Too weird, I was just thinking about you and that you'd BETTER be coming.

Creepy! ^_~

oppsie

superspryte wrote:Creepy! ^_~

true, but that has nothing to do with our synchronous wine.woot thoughts. I'm just naturally that way.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Okay, so I doubt you're actually in Detroit, so where will this be? Also PM'd ya because I definitely missed that reply earlier, hee.

I'm on the Northville/Novi border, west of I-275 and south of 8 Mile - so, sufficiently enough away from Detroit proper that it's a totally safe area ;) My house is actually an end-unit townhouse-style condo, but it's lakefront and there's a ton of common area behind the place for us to spill out onto (not to mention the rather generous deck of mine).

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:I'm on the Northville/Novi border, west of I-275 and south of 8 Mile - so, sufficiently enough away from Detroit proper that it's a totally safe area ;) My house is actually an end-unit townhouse-style condo, but it's lakefront and there's a ton of common area behind the place for us to spill out onto (not to mention the rather generous deck of mine).

Hey now. Don't hate on downtown.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:Hey now. Don't hate on downtown.

In my two years of living out here, I -still- haven't made it into Detroit itself. Lived in Ypsilanti first, then moved here... I do plan on getting to Eastern Market at some point this year though!

cheron98

So, unfortunate events took me to Niagara over this past weekend. Ahh, the region of ice wines! I couldn't help but stop off at a winery out there and I picked up a few bottles of ice wines from Crown Bench Estates Winery. These will all be coming out for the tasting...

Featuring:

Chocolate Ice - Belgian chocolate infused ice wine. Sweet and smooth with a distinctive chocolate aroma and flavor. Wonderful as a stand-alone dessert wine, pairs well with fruits and ice cream (also works beautifully as a sauce on top of ice cream!)

Hot Ice - Jalapeno infused ice wine. Starts off sweet and gradually spices up, leaving a pleasant, spicy finish. An apperatif meant to be paired with spicy dishes such as Thai or Indian. Also pairs nicely with sharp cheeses.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

We have a problem. I just got my work schedule for next week and I'm scheduled 9-5 that day. Going to try to adjust shifts with people this week to avoid it because I *need* to be there (gotta do some woot-related event before I skip town... ) but since I work until 5 and have to drive from Lansing...yeah...

Anyway, where's the RSVP page again? I lost my link. -_-;

cheron98

superspryte wrote:We have a problem. I just got my work schedule for next week and I'm scheduled 9-5 that day. Going to try to adjust shifts with people this week to avoid it because I *need* to be there (gotta do some woot-related event before I skip town... ) but since I work until 5 and have to drive from Lansing...yeah...

Anyway, where's the RSVP page again? I lost my link. -_-;

Well that just won't do! You've gotta come! I'm resending you the link...

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Well that just won't do! You've gotta come! I'm resending you the link...

How are we doing?

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Barging in from out east.

Is there anyone here in or near Dearborn who might be going or have cause to go to Merchant's Fine Wine and would be willing to do me a really big favor wine-wise? I come with references for this sort of thing so you'll know I'm good for it.

PM me please. I'll be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cheron98

oppsie wrote:How are we doing?

I've got like 20 people coming, it looks like. Maybe a few stragglers. Some who are showing up 'late' (around 5pm), though I anticipate the earliest anyone would leave would be around 7 anyway, given sober-up time for driving. And I'm not kicking anyone out, at all, even if they stay all night ;) Most of them aren't wine.wooters, but maybe they will be afterwards....

jenniem2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenniem2000

I'm sorry I can't make it on the 17th, it sounds like a great time. Hopefully this won't be the last winewoot gathering 'round these parts!

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:I've got like 20 people coming, it looks like. Maybe a few stragglers. Some who are showing up 'late' (around 5pm), though I anticipate the earliest anyone would leave would be around 7 anyway, given sober-up time for driving. And I'm not kicking anyone out, at all, even if they stay all night ;) Most of them aren't wine.wooters, but maybe they will be afterwards....

We need to figure out a wine list. I am no good at this.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:We need to figure out a wine list. I am no good at this.

Heh. I don't have a terrible amount of structure planned to it - considering all who's coming, I doubt I'll be able to keep control over pourings for too long, so pretty much if it's in my cellar, it's on the wine list. I know a couple people are bringing other things, but I'm not sure what. The only stuff I'm really going to make an effort on 'controlling' the pourings is the ice wines, mostly because it's so expensive and I don't want to see people pouring themselves large glasses of it instead of using the cordials. And people have questions about ice wines that I now know the answers to, thanks to the vintner at Crown Bench Estates.

On the menu:
Lemon-yogurt chicken
White wine herbed marinated chicken and pork
Zesty orange dipping sauce (for said chicken and pork)
Red wine infused lamb chops
Beef sirloin tips in mushroom and wine sauce
Grilled Prawns with cucumber yogurt dipping sauce
Assorted raw & grilled vegetables
Assorted raw & grilled fruits
Chocolate-dipped champagne-infused strawberries
Assorted cheeses and crackers

Wines to be featured for specific pairings:
Crown Bench Estates Ambrosia Chocolate Ice
Crown Bench Estates Hot Ice
Mumm Napa Cuvee M
Wellington Victory
Mandolina Pinot Grigio
Reininger Helix Pomatia
SakeOne Moonstone Asian Pear

I understand there will be another ice wine from the Niagara region making an appearance, as well as a Reisling, but am unsure of which.

Edit: I forgot the prawns the first time around!

oppsie

If there's a particular varietal you want me to bring I can do that...I've got both 03 and 04 Stag's Leap PS.

And tell me to bring something else, I don't want to just show up emptyhanded.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:If there's a particular varietal you want me to bring I can do that...I've got both 03 and 04 Stag's Leap PS.

And tell me to bring something else, I don't want to just show up emptyhanded.

I'm a little low on whites, since I'm mainly a red drinker and have kind of stocked up on reds, so if you've got a favorite white, please feel free to bring some Though I see it looks like you're mainly a red too! Tho I sure wouldn't mind the PS...

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:I'm a little low on whites, since I'm mainly a red drinker and have kind of stocked up on reds, so if you've got a favorite white, please feel free to bring some Though I see it looks like you're mainly a red too! Tho I sure wouldn't mind the PS...

I'll see about a white I just picked up from Cloverleaf that I liked when I popped it last night, and maybe a PS.

Can I bring a dessert? I have buttermilk that needs to get used...

cheron98

oppsie wrote:Can I bring a dessert? I have buttermilk that needs to get used...

You can bring whatever you like

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:You can bring whatever you like

Stonewall Kitchen lemon cake (from scratch, not mix, duh!) it is, then. I'm not responsible for matching a wine though.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:Stonewall Kitchen lemon cake (from scratch, not mix, duh!) it is, then. I'm not responsible for matching a wine though.

*giggles*! Not everything has to match, but I think one of the sakes or maybe one of my fruity ice wines would work with it. Sounds good!

cheron98

superspryte wrote:We have a problem...since I work until 5 and have to drive from Lansing...

I've got others showing up late, too, though I know that's a little bit of a haul... but we'll save you some!