+ Add a Comment

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
woopdedoo wrote:Though this is the likely the wrong forum, I propose that the WW folks (as in, us) sponsor a RPM hosted historical tour of CA wine country. We could mix in tastings, with visiting the towns that have been part of its history, with an evening sessions on the history of where we would be visiting the next day. Perhaps 3 days. We, of course, would pay all of RPM's expenses for the trip. Perhaps we could also convince Peter and WD to join us. Maybe this fall?

[the post that started this VERY intriguing line of discussion]

do you know... what biodynamics is?

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
themostrighteous wrote:[the post that started this VERY intriguing line of discussion]

So .. we should wait as to the answer from SWMBO before proceeding, but I would be happy to coordinate some of the plans - I am in MI but I do have a sister and brother out in Bay Area.

themostrighteous

rpm wrote:Someone with appropriate administrator privileges should copy the relevant posts over to the pub (or start a new thread on it) and then put a link post in here.

c? where are you? oh, c?!?

in the meantime (cross-posting) ...

if you are interested in this line of discussion, first go here, read from there to the bottom of p.9 & most of p.10 of the Pedroncelli forum, and then go here for new posts.

joekerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joekerjr

When 3 weeks was mentioned I thought, "that would be fun". Wish I could go.

But NOW, 3 days?! Perfect mini-vacation for the boss and I.

I would take the suggestion of Woot's involvment one step further. Not only could they use this tour to thank previous customers, but they could use it to introduce prospective clientèle to us passionate wooters as well.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Bro and I are going to be in CA from July 31 +14 days or so. Probably can't squeeze it any earlier, but we'd love to meet up if it ends up in August instead!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I'll be out of the area July 13 through 19 (I travel a lot on business), but other than that, sign me up!

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 26 Private Messages DonaldWilliams

This sounds like a really terrific idea. I don't even mind being potentially the least knowledgeable member of the group. I'd love an excuse to visit CA again anyway. Count me in, with my fiancée, if this actually will fly. I truly hope it does.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

joekerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joekerjr
DonaldWilliams wrote:This sounds like a really terrific idea. I don't even mind being potentially the least knowledgeable member of the group. I'd love an excuse to visit CA again anyway. Count me in, with my fiancée, if this actually will fly. I truly hope it does.

Trust me, you are not the least knowledgeable. Is wine made from grapes?

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
joekerjr wrote:Trust me, you are not the least knowledgeable. Is wine made from grapes?

Will we get to see the grape trees?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

DonaldWilliams

joekerjr wrote:Trust me, you are not the least knowledgeable. Is wine made from grapes?

Dandelion wine isn't, for example.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

mdscholar

quality posts: 174 Private Messages mdscholar

What's the weather like in July? Warm or Hot?

Definitely interested in a 3 day event. Especially if we can hit some, most, or all of the wineries we've had on Wine.Woot!

Would be very interesting to meet them, especially Axel Schug, aka Skiwino, from Schug Winery (Sonoma).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
woopdedoo wrote:So .. we should wait as to the answer from SWMBO before proceeding, but I would be happy to coordinate some of the plans - I am in MI but I do have a sister and brother out in Bay Area.

SWMBO thinks it's a great idea and wants (insists) to come along.

We could either do it the three days before my reunion (Tue 7/15- Thu 7/17)or the three days after (which would be Monday 7/21-Wed 7/23).

We would need to figure out the logistics of how many people, costs, transportation, arrangements with wineries - I have a few thoughts in addition to Ed from Pedroncelli's generous offer to host a dinner....

Could be a lot of fun!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
mdscholar wrote:What's the weather like in July? Warm or Hot?

Definitely interested in a 3 day event. Especially if we can hit some, most, or all of the wineries we've had on Wine.Woot!

Would be very interesting to meet them, especially Axel Schug, aka Skiwino, from Schug Winery (Sonoma).

July will be at least warm, maybe hot. Usually the hottest weather is in August, but July can also be pretty hot. Once you get North of the reach of the fog from the Bay (which lower Napa gets) or along the coast (Russian River gets some), it gets hot and dry in the summer. Great growing conditions! You could expect day temperatures anywhere from 80-100 (but not humid!), with cooler evenings.

I'm not sure all the things that have been on wine woot, but in three days, especially if we have evening events/lectures, you're not going to get to all that many wineries. You cannot do justice to more than 4 a day, perhaps even less if you get to do some barrel tasting and/or really meet the owners/winemakers.

If some of the things I have in mind can be arranged, I would envision the Napa day including a couple of wineries, including some barrel tasting and some time with a vineyard manager, as opposed to ordinary touring.

I don't know how my 99 year old cousin's health will be at that point, but I would certainly contact him about visiting with the group and sharing some of his inside industry knowledge. No promises on that though.

I would think that at this point, we need input from/cooperation with WineDavid39 and the wine woot staff, perhaps also Peter Wellington (LabROUS) for their ideas and ways they might want to see this evolve and participate.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

DonaldWilliams

rpm wrote:July will be at least warm, maybe hot. Usually the hottest weather is in August, but July can also be pretty hot. Once you get North of the reach of the fog from the Bay (which lower Napa gets) or along the coast (Russian River gets some), it gets hot and dry in the summer. Great growing conditions! You could expect day temperatures anywhere from 80-100 (but not humid!), with cooler evenings.

I'm not sure all the things that have been on wine woot, but in three days, especially if we have evening events/lectures, you're not going to get to all that many wineries. You cannot do justice to more than 4 a day, perhaps even less if you get to do some barrel tasting and/or really meet the owners/winemakers.

If some of the things I have in mind can be arranged, I would envision the Napa day including a couple of wineries, including some barrel tasting and some time with a vineyard manager, as opposed to ordinary touring.

I don't know how my 99 year old cousin's health will be at that point, but I would certainly contact him about visiting with the group and sharing some of his inside industry knowledge. No promises on that though.

I would think that at this point, we need input from/cooperation with WineDavid39 and the wine woot staff, perhaps also Peter Wellington (LabROUS) for their ideas and ways they might want to see this evolve and participate.

This keeps sounding better and better. I'm prepared to set aside whatever else may be on my plate for either set of dates, and start looking for a flight from Buffalo. I'll be watching the forum, and thanks.

themostrighteous

rpm wrote:SWMBO thinks it's a great idea and wants (insists) to come along.

We could either do it the three days before my reunion (Tue 7/15- Thu 7/17)or the three days after (which would be Monday 7/21-Wed 7/23).

We would need to figure out the logistics of how many people, costs, transportation, arrangements with wineries - I have a few thoughts in addition to Ed from Pedroncelli's generous offer to host a dinner....

Could be a lot of fun!

this really does sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

it's still early, i know, but i'd throw my hat in on 7/15-7/17. that way the rest of us flying in would have 7/18 & 7/19 to do some additional exploring of our own before heading back on 7/20. i appreciate that the same could be said for 7/19 & 7/20 pre-7/21-7/23, but i would personally rather go on on my own AFTER having the benefit of our educational 3-day tour.

just my $0.02.

mozart23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mozart23
themostrighteous wrote:this really does sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

it's still early, i know, but i'd throw my hat in on 7/15-7/17. that way the rest of us flying in would have 7/18 & 7/19 to do some additional exploring of our own before heading back on 7/20. i appreciate that the same could be said for 7/19 & 7/20 pre-7/21-7/23, but i would personally rather go on on my own AFTER having the benefit of our educational 3-day tour.

just my $0.02.

I'd be up for any of those days. I've got plenty of vacation and Napa is only a two hour or so drive up for me!

phillica78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phillica78
rpm wrote:We could either do it the three days before my reunion (Tue 7/15- Thu 7/17)or the three days after (which would be Monday 7/21-Wed 7/23).

I want in on this! In general, I think I would prefer the 15th to the 17th but I could do either as long as I get notice. My schedule for July won't be done for maybe a month to 6 weeks, I would just need to request the right days off.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

The lovely Mrs. Blink and I are likely to be enthusiastic participants.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

While not being in a position to financially support(excuse my split infinitive for those who still pay attention) anyone's [including my own] tour of wine country, I would like to add my appreciation of RPM's knowledge and my moral support for any future information he provides.

signed.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
rpm wrote:SWMBO thinks it's a great idea and wants (insists) to come along.

Could be a lot of fun!

GREAT! Check your PMs.

dodongo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dodongo
mdscholar wrote:What's the weather like in July? Warm or Hot?

It depends on where you are. If you're in San Francisco, the answer is a pretty resounding "NO!" -- July is gorgeous around here, but the closer to the water you get, the cooler it is. Those 55-60 degree winds make things pretty brisk at the water's edge.

As RPM noted, save for Los Carneros and maybe RRV, the wine country itself is pretty warm, but it is, as they say, a dry heat. 90 is still pretty comfortable. If you're going to stay in the valleys north, pack for summer. If you're going to spend any time immediately around the bay, jeans and a jacket are in order, most likely.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Spoke with SWMBO, and if we can tie this into a trip to CO, where we think my daughter will be for the summer, we will also be in. Less than 9 mos. from last/first/only trip to CA wine country, but I'll be ready.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mozart23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mozart23
dodongo wrote:It depends on where you are. If you're in San Francisco, the answer is a pretty resounding "NO!" -- July is gorgeous around here, but the closer to the water you get, the cooler it is. Those 55-60 degree winds make things pretty brisk at the water's edge.

As RPM noted, save for Los Carneros and maybe RRV, the wine country itself is pretty warm, but it is, as they say, a dry heat. 90 is still pretty comfortable. If you're going to stay in the valleys north, pack for summer. If you're going to spend any time immediately around the bay, jeans and a jacket are in order, most likely.

I remember when I first moved to NorCal some friends and I took a trip up to Napa. It was mid-80s down in the South Bay and somewhere in the 90s up in Napa; naturally, we were wearing shorts and sandals. Afterwards, we decided to stop in SF to have dinner and I remember nearly freezing my butt off there. It never ceases to amaze me how much of a temperature differential exists between SF and the rest of the Bay Area.

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

I am at best a long shot participant, but I hope you all pull this together. It sounds like it would be an amazing combination of good people, good wine and good education. That's my idea of a winning trifecta!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

mdscholar

I'll probably drive up from SoCal (Long Beach area), so if anyone is interested in carpooling up, once we get the dates set, let me know. However, I will probably be interested in one (maybe two) day(s) after the historical tour, in touring some of the wineries we weren't able to get to during RPM's magical mystery tour. But that is open for discussion.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

danncer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danncer
mdscholar wrote:I'll probably drive up from SoCal (Long Beach area), so if anyone is interested in carpooling up, once we get the dates set, let me know. However, I will probably be interested in one (maybe two) day(s) after the historical tour, in touring some of the wineries we weren't able to get to during RPM's magical mystery tour. But that is open for discussion.

I'm interested in carpooling up. Maybe we can convince some of our fellow SoCal wine.wooters to join us for a road trip.

woot! purchases since 10/2006: a whole lotta wine, a few t-shirts, a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, and not one single Box Of Crackers.

themostrighteous

mdscholar wrote:RPM's July Magical Mystery Tour of Wine Country.

[crossposting]

dude! THAT IS IT! "RPM's Magical Mystery Tour of Wine Country (July 2007)" that is what we should call it. we should make t-shirts!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
themostrighteous wrote:[crossposting]

dude! THAT IS IT! "RPM's Magical Mystery Tour of Wine Country (July 2007)" that is what we should call it. we should make t-shirts!

Dude, for T-shirts, I'd even consider coming out for it. Despite having work. And being there both 2 weeks earlier and 2 weeks later. Argh.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

phillica78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phillica78

I just got an email from my boss about requesting my summer vacation time (I thought I had another month...hee gads!) I need to decide what to request off from work. I know we aren't even committed to a trip yet, but are there any more voices on which of the two sets of dates would be preferred?

mdscholar

themostrighteous wrote:[crossposting]

Maybe we can get Superspryte to design it (with the correct year)?

Oh, and I was a labrat for the Chaucer Raspberry Mead. Called on Tuesday and no packages, but forgot to call yesterday. DOH! Used a Razz Tease, like RPM's Zin Tease (see iByron's post in Pedroncelli forum (in the middle of page 7).

Hope I did okay. And it was Deja Vu, as it was like the other 2 labrats (package comes out, too small for normal wine ... purple alchohol warning label ... GOLDEN TICKET!!). Total surprise.

themostrighteous

mdscholar wrote:Maybe we can get Superspryte to design it (with the correct year)?

yes! and

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

themostrighteous wrote:yes! and

I think that's doable. ^_^

But something I'll suggest is to keep the date relatively inconspicuous; dated/event tees have a tendency to become...lonely after their intended use.

Anyway, what are the details? One-sided, one color? Or do you want the list of wineries on the back? I'm thinking something like a bar crawl shirt. My favorite of that had a list of bars on the back and check boxes that they all had sharpies to check off. Since it was a bar crawl they were a bit...markered up by the end of the night, but I think it would work well for something like a wine tour. ^_^ What do y'all think?

EDIT: And I'd love to go but at that point I'll hopefully either already be in Japan or at least hoarding my money as I'm getting ready to puddle jump on over. *crosses fingers* Doesn't mean I'm not interested in the shirt or talking to you guys though. In fact I'll probably be around in the forums more once I'm over there, heh.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

themostrighteous

superspryte wrote:I think that's doable. ^_^

But something I'll suggest is to keep the date relatively inconspicuous; dated/event tees have a tendency to become...lonely after their intended use.

Anyway, what are the details? One-sided, one color? Or do you want the list of wineries on the back? I'm thinking something like a bar crawl shirt. My favorite of that had a list of bars on the back and check boxes that they all had sharpies to check off. Since it was a bar crawl they were a bit...markered up by the end of the night, but I think it would work well for something like a wine tour. ^_^ What do y'all think?

EDIT: And I'd love to go but at that point I'll hopefully either already be in Japan or at least hoarding my money as I'm getting ready to puddle jump on over. *crosses fingers* Doesn't mean I'm not interested in the shirt or talking to you guys though. In fact I'll probably be around in the forums more once I'm over there, heh.

sounds like a great idea. a concert tour theme might be more apropos, though, b/c i've never been on a 3 DAY bar crawl (and the thought of one is just, well, nauseating). let's see...

FRONT:

Wine Country Connect [1] & rpm productions present...

The First [2] Ever Magical Mystery Tour of [Cali?] Wine[.Woot?] Country

starring rpm himself (!) & the La Brat Pack [3]

BACK:

Day One
[INSERT DAY ONE WINERIES]

[AND SO ON FOR DAYS TWO & THREE]

note:
[1] just banking on rpm's suggested tie-in w/ WD & w.w wineries
[2] what? you didn't think this was a one-sy, did ya? it's the beginning of a TRADITION. maybe SB can do the next one. the possibilities are endless.
[3] no excuses here: just couldn't help myself.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

themostrighteous wrote:sounds like a great idea. a concert tour theme might be more apropos, though, b/c i've never been on a 3 DAY bar crawl (and the thought of one is just, well, nauseating). let's see...

FRONT:

Wine Country Connect [1] & rpm productions present...

The First [2] Ever Magical Mystery Tour of [Cali?] Wine[.Woot?] Country

starring rpm himself (!) & the La Brat Pack [3]

BACK:

Day One
[INSERT DAY ONE WINERIES]

[AND SO ON FOR DAYS TWO & THREE]

note:
[1] just banking on rpm's suggested tie-in w/ WD & w.w wineries
[2] what? you didn't think this was a one-sy, did ya? it's the beginning of a TRADITION. maybe SB can do the next one. the possibilities are endless.
[3] no excuses here: just couldn't help myself.

Since I have a bit of time yet I'm going to try a design or two that's not necessarily what you're expecting. No idea what that'll be yet, but we'll see when it happens. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

polarbear22

Need to add a small note at the bottom. "Shirt designed by superspyrte"

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

polarbear22 wrote:Need to add a small note at the bottom. "Shirt designed by superspyrte"

Who is superspyrte? ^_~

No need.

polarbear22

superspryte wrote:Who is superspyrte? ^_~

No need.

Bad typing. At least I got the r in there.

Don't spite the spryte!!

My Cellar

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

polarbear22 wrote:Bad typing. At least I got the r in there.

Don't spite the spryte!!

Yeah, were you around when bhodilee called me Spyte? XD

polarbear22

superspryte wrote:Yeah, were you around when bhodilee called me Spyte? XD

Yes, that is where the comment came from.

My Cellar

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

polarbear22 wrote:Yes, that is where the comment came from.

Oh. Right. ^_^;

I wonder how many colors I should use for the shirt design. Right now I'm sticking to 1-2 just because that's standard. We'll see where the design goes before I decide on which ones. Yay. ^_____^