cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

It's getting to be that time... Time for the DC Area Wine.Wooters to plan for our next Wine Tasting! I think we left off the discussion with a vague notion of early February and hopefully somewhere close to a Metro Station.

Thoughts???

cjsiege

Don't forget...we have to dedicate one round to congratulating Loweeel for his stellar entrance into the ranks of ESQs!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
cjsiege wrote:It's getting to be that time... Time for the DC Area Wine.Wooters to plan for our next Wine Tasting! I think we left off the discussion with a vague notion of early February and hopefully somewhere close to a Metro Station.

Thoughts???

February is my month to get back to DC after a month off. Right now most weekends look okay for me to get down there, but I'll try to work around your schedules.

iByron
(I'll be bringing Banyuls if I come)

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Feb 8/9/10 is best for me. I'm happy to host again -- it just gives me an excuse to clean. I could also do the previous week on Saturday or Friday (Feb 1/2), but that's Super Bowl weekend, so that might be too much for our livers to handle. I'll be away the 3rd weekend in Feb, but the final weekend in Jan works for me as well (and as a bonus, there's no football to get in the way of wine-tasting).

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cjsiege

I'm clear for the first 3 weekends of February. My schedule gets a little trickier after that. I live all the way down in Stafford, so I don't think that qualifies for "on a Metro Line". ;-) I'm willing to drive!

L - I checked on the KR Sexy Threesome blog, and it looks like the PV will need a looooong time in a decanter - maybe even overnight. Do you have one, or should I plan to bring one along?

Loweeel

cjsiege wrote:I'm clear for the first 3 weekends of February. My schedule gets a little trickier after that. I live all the way down in Stafford, so I don't think that qualifies for "on a Metro Line". ;-) I'm willing to drive!

L - I checked on the KR Sexy Threesome blog, and it looks like the PV will need a looooong time in a decanter - maybe even overnight. Do you have one, or should I plan to bring one along?

I have a decanter. WD's finest.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Hopefully, this time I can make it out to the wine tasting. I am not free on the 16th, 23rd, and 24th. Other than that I'm available.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

theresa1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013

I definitely can't do the weekend of Feb. 8-10. The first weekend in February works better, but I understand the concerns about the superbowl. Later in February might not work for me either, but I'm not sure (my schedule is not confirmed yet). So I guess what I'm saying is, it'd be cool if it didn't happen on Feb. 8-10, but I can't guarantee that I'll definitely be free later in the month, so go ahead and schedule whatever works best for others and I'll try to make it if I can.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

It's always hard to say what will work best with family schedules being so chaotic. At this time, I think that any of these weekends will work for me (1/25 - 2/9, 2/23). The third weekend is Feb is not only bad for Loweeel, but it is the weekend after Valentines (and my son's birthday), so it is probably best to avoid for many of us .

It's sound like the fewest objections, so far, are to the last weekend in January ... shall we set this as a target and see if it holds for those who have not yet weighed in?

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

jwhite6114 wrote:It's sound like the fewest objections, so far, are to the last weekend in January ... shall we set this as a target and see if it holds for those who have not yet weighed in?

Isn't that only 2 wks after the NYC weekend? L - is that too soon? Especially since we like your house so much?

Loweeel

cjsiege wrote:Isn't that only 2 wks after the NYC weekend? L - is that too soon? Especially since we like your house so much?

Nope, that's cool. I can't make it up to NYC anyway, so that weekend works. I just hope my old petite sirahs will be here by then

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

Loweeel

OK, you guys want to tell some of the others? Nobody else has really responded to my posts in the forum and pub.

I haven't heard from vaaccess, Schuey, Smartheart, Malveaux... I'm pretty sure iByron will come, if for no other reason than that I have some well-aged vitis labrusca wines for him, even though it won't quite be February yet.

So, January 26th it is. Starting late afternoon/early evening, exact time to be determined by who can make it and when. If we can't get 10 people, I'd rather just push it off for later... and let's plan another for late March/early April?

Roster:
CJ (+2) -- CJ already gifted us (via my office) a 3-pack of the KR. She might not want to open all of them (as she should definitely keep the PS for herself!), but it seems that we're having at least the PV.

Me -- Old (and I mean OLD) PS -- which one will be determined by if my winebid shipment arrives before then; if iByron comes, one of the bottles of OLD Concord wine from PA (since there are 2 of those and only one of the Dry Catawba). I'm also feeling the itch to open one of my Polyphemus bottles, and I'm sure I can also supply some Humbug for those who either didn't get any or have one of the bottles for tasting.

iByron - Banyuls.

cvgurl125 - Barboursville Reserve Barbera '04/'05 (mmmm!)

bunnymasseuse - Bah Humbug!

Jalcausk - ?

ORDER:
White:
Cuvee M

Red:
Old Concord
SurfZin(?)
Humbug
Sousao
Barbera (& Maybe Cyclops)
Old PS
KRPS '02
KRPV

Dessert:
Banyuls

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
Loweeel wrote:OK, you guys want to tell some of the others? Nobody else has really responded to my posts in the forum and pub.

I haven't heard from vaaccess, Schuey, Smartheart, Malveaux... I'm pretty sure iByron will come, if for no other reason than that I have some well-aged vitis labrusca wines for him, even though it won't quite be February yet.

So, January 26th it is. Starting late afternoon/early evening, exact time to be determined by who can make it and when. If we can't get 10 people, I'd rather just push it off for later... and let's plan another for late March/early April?

Roster:
CJ -- CJ already gifted us (via my office) a 3-pack of the KR. She might not want to open all of them (as she should definitely keep the PS for herself!), but it seems that we're having at least the PV.

Me -- Old (and I mean OLD) PS -- which one will be determined by if my winebid shipment arrives before then; if iByron comes, one of the bottles of OLD Concord wine from PA (since there are 2 of those and only one of the Dry Catawba). I'm also feeling the itch to open one of my Polyphemus bottles, and I'm sure I can also supply some Humbug for those who either didn't get any or have one of the bottles for tasting.

iByron - Banyuls.

I will be able to attend, thanks for emailing me as I often don't catch the new community threads as I'd like to. It'll most likely be just me, I can provide a Humbug if you want to keep yours on hand Loweeel for later events. I'll see what of my others I have available to try as well at home tonight if I remember. I'll bring dessert only this time, for those counting the food contributions.

121 Woots and counting

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
bunnymasseuse wrote:I will be able to attend, thanks for emailing me as I often don't catch the new community threads as I'd like to. It'll most likely be just me, I can provide a Humbug if you want to keep yours on hand Loweeel for later events. I'll see what of my others I have available to try as well at home tonight if I remember. I'll bring dessert only this time, for those counting the food contributions.

Seeing how Loweeel intends to buy all of mulebower's Humbug at Bargain basement prices, I see no reason to encourage him to hoard it any more than he needs to.

Loweeel wrote:
CJ -- CJ already gifted us (via my office) a 3-pack of the KR. She might not want to open all of them (as she should definitely keep the PS for herself!), but it seems that we're having at least the PV.

So you scheduled it the week after I'm coming down? Haven't tried any of the petites, but the Susao is fantastic. It starts out with a huge spicebox smell (a lot like port), but for good flavor it really needed to breath like 2 hours (though the smell became somewhat less complicated than it did). When it finally opens the whole thing reminds me of the blueberry syrup my dad used to use when we had sunday pancakes... you know back when my parents ate carbs.... I'd love to have another... stupid me for only buying one.

cjsiege

We need to get a sparkly in here. I'll bring a Mumm Cuvee M.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Loweeel wrote:

mmm, that 1985 Elyse Rutherford should have entered its second drinking window by now, if that's the one you mean. i am positively jealous. nice.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cvgurl125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cvgurl125
Loweeel wrote:OK, you guys want to tell some of the others? Nobody else has really responded to my posts in the forum and pub.

Roster:

iByron - Banyuls.

I am a relatively new wooter. Bought the Mumm pair so far but have a small collection in my NoVA townhouse. Can I join in? Are there rules/expectations?
CVGurl125

Loweeel

themostrighteous wrote:mmm, that 1985 Elyse Rutherford should have entered its second drinking window by now, if that's the one you mean. i am positively jealous. nice.

That's what I was planning on bringing to Chicago, if I come. I think the '88 Topolos should be good as well.

cvgurl125 wrote:I am a relatively new wooter. Bought the Mumm pair so far but have a small collection in my NoVA townhouse. Can I join in? Are there rules/expectations?
CVGurl125

You are more than welcome to *my* NoVA townhouse! The more the merrier. Just bring something you'd like to share, your own stemware, and either: a) help with set up, b) bring food/dessert/paper plates, or c) help with cleanup. It's typically one bottle per person (in case you bring a guest), with a LOT of leftovers, even before CJ's 4 bottles (both food and wine). I'm right by the VASQ metro.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I'll be there. I can bring some food and for wine, I honestly don't know what to bring. I don't have a huge collection to choose from but what I still have is the following:

Bargetto Winery White Quartet
Armida 4-Pack Armada
Mosaic Sonoma White Quartet

so one of the aforementioned bottles or a bottle of whatever Lake Anna winery (http://www.lawinery.com/) makes. Just reply or message me with what I should bring for the libation. Also let me know if I should make an appetizer, entree, or dessert. thanks

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse

Don't forget to wear your wine.woot shirt if ya got one!

121 Woots and counting

cjsiege

InShadows wrote:I'll be there...

Welcome!!! Glad to have you. Last time, I brought 2 of 4 from the Armida Armada (the Chard and the Sauv Blanc). If you REALLY want to bring something from that set, I'd recommend the SurfZin, 'cause it was yummy when I had it in November! Otherwise, maybe bring something else that's white-ish. (Of course, I'm biased, because I prefer the 'blondes".) I've never had a Lake Anna wine. If there is something that you especially like from there, bring that one instead! For food, just bring something that would complement your wine. This way we are less likely to gravitate from "wine tasting" into "potluck".

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
InShadows wrote:I'll be there. I can bring some food and for wine, I honestly don't know what to bring. I don't have a huge collection to choose from but what I still have is the following:

Bargetto Winery White Quartet
Armida 4-Pack Armada
Mosaic Sonoma White Quartet

so one of the aforementioned bottles or a bottle of whatever Lake Anna winery (http://www.lawinery.com/) makes. Just reply or message me with what I should bring for the libation. Also let me know if I should make an appetizer, entree, or dessert. thanks

The Mosaic white quartet is getting a little old. I just had my last chard and it was not as good as when I first got it. That said, I think Mosaic does better things with chard than any other American I've had at the same price point and I wish I'd bought more than one.

cvgurl125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cvgurl125

Thanks for making me feel welcomed. I will be there. I will bring a 2004 or 2005(whichever I have) Barboursville Barbera Reserve. Barboursville is one of my favorite Virginia Wineries and I love their Barbera and Sangiovese. I will bring food, likely a rice and beans dish. I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone.
CVGurl125

Loweeel

cvgurl125 wrote:Thanks for making me feel welcomed. I will be there. I will bring a 2004 or 2005(whichever I have) Barboursville Barbera Reserve. Barboursville is one of my favorite Virginia Wineries and I love their Barbera and Sangiovese. I will bring food, likely a rice and beans dish. I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone.
CVGurl125

Excellent choice! I've enjoyed Barboursville at the wine festivals I've been to, and I'm really starting to like Barbera as well.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cjsiege

Looks like I'm +1 -- another friend, different from the last one. Might go up to +2. I'll keep you all posted. (Good think I've already got wine there to cover my pluses!)

Loweeel

cjsiege wrote:Looks like I'm +1 -- another friend, different from the last one. Might go up to +2. I'll keep you all posted. (Good think I've already got wine there to cover my pluses!)

Want to post this in this week's pub and the main thread? I'll cover them next week. I'll PM the other locals.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cjsiege

Loweeel wrote:Want to post this in this week's pub and the main thread? I'll cover them next week. I'll PM the other locals.

Sure! Can do.

schuey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schuey

Like the last NoVa tasting, trying to line-up a babysitter. If I can find one, I am in.
If I can make it, I think I will bring a Noceto Zin. If we are light on whites, I could bring a Mandolina Pinot Grigio instead. Let me know what will work best.
I'll keep you posted on my availability.

jrbw3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3

I keep barely missing these. I live in Michigan but travel sometimes for work to NoVa (Reston). Both of these tastings have been/will be one or two days off of my visits. Sad. Maybe one day the stars will align. Have a great time. The first sounded like a blast.

Rob

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

jwhite6114

So it looks like we're at:

Attending:
1 - Loweeel (PS)
2 - CJ (KR, Mumm Cuvee M.)
3 - CJ Friend 1 (already covered by CJ)
4 - cvgurl125 (Barboursville Reserve Barbera '04/'05, likely a rice and beans dish)
5 - bunnymasseuse - (Humbug)
6 - InShadows (??)
7 - jwhite6114 (??)

Unconfirmed:
x - iByron (Banyuls)
x - Jalcausk (??)
x - CJ Friend 2 (already covered by CJ)
x - schuey (Noceto Zin)
x - theresa1013 (??)

Regrets:
x - jrbw3
x - thatguy314

Please post if you can make it, or if you're misrepresented above.

CT | | | | | |

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Greeings !

My schedule is unclear at the moment but I hope to be able to come. Will advise when I have a better idea of whether I'll be able to come or not.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

theresa1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013

I'm about 80% sure that I can make it that weekend. I might have family coming in from out of town, which is the only thing that would prevent me from attending. If I do come, I'm not sure yet what to bring. I could bring something from Noceto...although it seems that we're very low on whites.

cjsiege

There's a crap-load of reds coming -- sayeth the blonde who is responsible for at least one of them. Would love it is theresa could bring a nice SB, or something else that's crisp! (Heck, even if it's oaky. I'll drink Loweeel's portion!)

Loweeel

cjsiege wrote:There's a crap-load of reds coming -- sayeth the blonde who is responsible for at least one of them. Would love it is theresa could bring a nice SB, or something else that's crisp! (Heck, even if it's oaky. I'll drink Loweeel's portion!)

Hey, I like SB. BTW, if you find Hagafen's SB ($18, direct), it's absolutely amazing. My favorite SB to date.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cjsiege

Loweeel wrote:Hey, I like SB. BTW, if you find Hagafen's SB ($18, direct), it's absolutely amazing. My favorite SB to date.

I know that you like SB. ;) But if Theresa brings a chard, then I'm all set!

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I got your PM and would like to attend in the evening of the 26th.
I can bring SB (2005) by Tamar Ridge of Tasmania, crisp & dry.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

jwhite6114

Update:

Attending:
1 - Loweeel (PS)
2 - CJ (KR, Mumm Cuvee M.)
3 - CJ Friend 1 (already covered by CJ)
4 - cvgurl125 (Barboursville Reserve Barbera '04/'05, likely a rice and beans dish)
5 - bunnymasseuse - (Humbug)
6 - InShadows (??)
7 - jwhite6114 (??)
8 - tripgrad (SB (2005) by Tamar Ridge of Tasmania)
9 - theresa1013 (??) (80% likely)

Unconfirmed:
x - iByron (Banyuls)
x - Jalcausk (??)
x - CJ Friend 2 (already covered by CJ)
x - schuey (Noceto Zin)
x - smartheart (??)

Regrets:
x - jrbw3
x - thatguy314

Please post if you can make it, or if you're misrepresented above.

CT | | | | | |

semitalentedfool

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semitalentedfool

This looks awesome! Got room for one more (and maby my gf)? yall seem to be short some white wines...ill see what i can find :D

Loweeel

semitalentedfool wrote:This looks awesome! Got room for one more (and maby my gf)? yall seem to be short some white wines...ill see what i can find :D

Absolutely!!! You are both more than welcome. The more, the merrier.
I'm partial to viognier and NZ SB (and unoaked, non-ML chardonnay, or white burgundy-style).

My brother may be postponing his trip from my birthday weekend to one week later to attend our tasting instead. His GF will probably be in tow as well.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

semitalentedfool

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semitalentedfool

cool! ive got a fess parker 05 viognier from a wootoff gone by, personally i wasnt a fan but you are more than welcome to see what you think. and ive got what should be a nice riesling i picked up in CO a little while ago

Loweeel wrote:Absolutely!!! You are both more than welcome. The more, the merrier.
I'm partial to viognier and NZ SB (and unoaked, non-ML chardonnay, or white burgundy-style).

My brother may be postponing his trip from my birthday weekend to one week later to attend our tasting instead. His GF will probably be in tow as well.