michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari

Hi. Anyone interested in a wine tasting? We're in the Denver area...

Check out our cellar

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
michelleshari wrote:Hi. Anyone interested in a wine tasting? We're in the Denver area...

and our 102-bottle wine fridge is full...

nmsoonergirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmsoonergirl

We'd be interested, if you don't mind our relatively unsophisticated palates. I'm in NM, but my bf is in Denver now for school, so I'm visiting a couple of times a month.

joelsisk

nmsoonergirl wrote:We'd be interested, if you don't mind our relatively unsophisticated palates. I'm in NM, but my bf is in Denver now for school, so I'm visiting a couple of times a month.

absolutely! the more the merrier... though in the interest of full disclosure, this is Buffalo country, and we have this amazing tendency to trample Sooners. ;) Also, buffaloes can't smell much either.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Heh, if only I could keep wine around long enough for an organized tasting...

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

bryantdr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryantdr

My wife and I are in Colorado Springs and would be interested in any tastings.

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

would depend on what day was chosen, it would be a overnight trip from Grand Junction. and my wife works a rotating schedule, so we wouldn't know if was a weekend off for her until after you guys chose a date.

But I'll keep checking this thread....

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

WineWootaholic

Gatzby wrote:Heh, if only I could keep wine around long enough for an organized tasting...

It's simple, just order more wine Gatzby... are you in Denver, I thought you were up in the northeast part of the US

michelleshari

WineWootaholic wrote:would depend on what day was chosen, it would be a overnight trip from Grand Junction. and my wife works a rotating schedule, so we wouldn't know if was a weekend off for her until after you guys chose a date.

But I'll keep checking this thread....

Well, we're open to dates, so why don't you propose one?

Check out our cellar

michelleshari

Something to think about - it appears to be illegal to BYOB in Colorado... Anyone have insight into a good place to get together?

Check out our cellar

nmsoonergirl

I'll be in town next the weekend of December 13.
Disappointing about the BYOB law...I'll ask Chad if he has any ideas.
I'll also check with my family in the Springs to see if they could think of a place.

And we just won't talk football ;)

Gatzby

WineWootaholic wrote:It's simple, just order more wine Gatzby... are you in Denver, I thought you were up in the northeast part of the US

I was out east, but then I moved. I'm in sunny Uptown (which is downtown Denver to most people) these days.

Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.

joelsisk

Gatzby wrote:I was out east, but then I moved. I'm in sunny Uptown (which is downtown Denver to most people) these days.

Welcome to Denver! other than the brief snow a couple nights ago, it's been a gorgeous fall! Did Woot! buy you one of those swanky new condos around 18th/Pearl-ish?

michelleshari

Gatzby wrote:I was out east, but then I moved. I'm in sunny Uptown (which is downtown Denver to most people) these days.

Does this mean we can maybe con... I mean persuade WD to send us some previews of upcoming woots? Welcome to Denver, btw.

Check out our cellar

WineWootaholic

michelleshari wrote:Well, we're open to dates, so why don't you propose one?

I would suggest it to be after the new year, every one is usually booked up in December, and suspect a low turnout due to everyones Christmas parties,
and actually I am having 2 more (just had 2 in November) surgeries around Christmas
so in reality, I probley will be out of commision even in January, so maybe you had better go with out me. (sorry for the typo's, hands and fingers aren't working very well)

Gatzby

joelsisk wrote:Welcome to Denver! other than the brief snow a couple nights ago, it's been a gorgeous fall! Did Woot! buy you one of those swanky new condos around 18th/Pearl-ish?

Heh, no such luck, but those are a fair bit overpriced anyway. If it's any consolation, I can see them from here. I might be able to take out a window if the wind was blowing the right way. On the bright side, there's a fantastic wine shop called Above the Rim at about 19th and Pennsylvania -- haven't found a bad wine in there yet.

michelleshari

i think waiting until new years is probably a good idea. will also give us more time to figure out the location and let those a bit further away have some advance notice.

Check out our cellar

kcehehttahw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcehehttahw

My fiance and I would be interested, although we're definitely amateurs...

joelsisk

Really, nothing to say... I wanted the thread back near the top... though I am disappointed in the numbers of responses, seeing as how Colorado is supposedly consistently in the 5-7 most woots by state.

WineWootaholic

joelsisk wrote:Really, nothing to say... I wanted the thread back near the top... though I am disappointed in the numbers of responses, seeing as how Colorado is supposedly consistently in the 5-7 most woots by state.

One would think that Judy would be able to drive down from up north (Ft Collins maybe? but she has been silent..)
For me, it would really have to be the later part of January at the earliest.

michelleshari

there was a request for late January... I'm thinking a Saturday night is probably best for the people who have to travel a bit... Does the 20th or 27th work for people? We also still need to figure out a location. Anyone have any ideas on that?

Check out our cellar

nmsoonergirl

I'll be in town the 26-27th, but if the prior weekend works better for everyone else that's fine--I can catch you all next time.

WineWootaholic

26th is fine, Wife & I should be able to make it. I can't help you on the location ....unless you all want to drive over to the western slope and have it in my house...but this location would be better during a wine fest in Sept some year in the future

so Gatzby, Judy and others what do you think?

michelleshari

WineWootaholic wrote:26th is fine, Wife & I should be able to make it. I can't help you on the location ....unless you all want to drive over to the western slope and have it in my house...but this location would be better during a wine fest in Sept some year in the future

I think Jan. 26th is great. Still need a place though...

Check out our cellar

Gatzby

WineWootaholic wrote:26th is fine, Wife & I should be able to make it. I can't help you on the location ....unless you all want to drive over to the western slope and have it in my house...but this location would be better during a wine fest in Sept some year in the future

Heh, my input should not matter as I'm limited by the lack of transportation and my inability to figure out the bus routes. (Seriously, stop at look at one of those signs for awhile. Or check the route map on the website. *tear*)

nmsoonergirl

We talked with some places in the Springs about having it there, but nothing panned out. We would actually be willing to have it at Chad's apartment, but he really doesn't have any furniture (we opted not to send much up there since he'll only be in school for 9 months or so).

Depending on how many people come, I wonder about renting a hotel room or two--certainly wouldn't be ideal, but it's the best I can come up with.

And Gatzby, have you tried the "route finder" part of the RTD site? That helped us figure the buses out a little better. Chad lives uptownish, though, and we could give you a ride.

LurkerDan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LurkerDan

just saw this thread, don't come in here very often. I'm in Boulder and might be interested. But winter weekends are out for me, I am guaranteed to be skiing. If it ends up being a weekday, great, but if not, no worries.

joelsisk

would I be correct in summarizing that we've got a tentative date 4 weeks from now... 27th-ish Jan?

WineWootaholic

joelsisk wrote:would I be correct in summarizing that we've got a tentative date 4 weeks from now... 27th-ish Jan?

I think that's the date, however, I realize that I'll be too laid up to make the trip this time....Maybe next time, or I'd offer my place in Sept when the wine fest is going on...however bad part of that is there are no hotel rooms available....wwa

nmsoonergirl

We are still up for that weekend, and I'm pretty sure my sister and brother in law would be as well. Still haven't been able to come up with a place though.

michelleshari

We'd be happy to have everyone at our place... HOWEVER - there may still be mice wandering around. We had the exterminator over today, but... just want full disclosure. So... up to all of you.

Oh, and before I forget - hey Gatzby - any chance of persuading WD to send along a special treat for all of us?

Check out our cellar

nmsoonergirl

Tried to PM you, Michelleshari, but it wouldn't work.

Thanks for offering to host. Again, we could have it at Chad's apt (which is realistically more like a dorm room....) as long as no one wants to sit down in chairs. I'm sure your place is a bit nicer, but just let us know.

My sister and brother-in-law can come up from the Springs if we have it the 26th, and Chad and I will be there whenever.

Will we be doing only wine.woot offerings, or random favorites, or going with a certain varietal? Since I'm a wine.woot noob, my woot selections would be fairly limited, but doable. HMMM, maybe I SHOULD get this week's offering....

Oh, and Gatzby, our offer to drive you still stands...

michelleshari

nmsoonergirl wrote:Tried to PM you, Michelleshari, but it wouldn't work.

Thanks for offering to host. Again, we could have it at Chad's apt (which is realistic more like a dorm room....) as long as no one wants to sit down in chairs. I'm sure your place is a bit nicer, but just let us know.

My sister and brother-in-law can come up from the Springs if we have it the 26th, and Chad and I will be there whenever.

Will we be doing only wine.woot offerings, or random favorites, or going with a certain varietal? Since I'm a wine.woot noob, my woot selections would be fairly limited, but doable. HMMM, maybe I SHOULD get this week's offering....

Oh, and Gatzby, our offer to drive you still stands...

We're more than happy to have everyone here. And I personally don't care whether we do wine.woots or people's favorites or...whatever. We'll have our whole cellar available if it's at our house, so whatever you all want to bring is fine by me. For everyone's reference, we're right off of Alameda and 225.

Do people have a time preference for Saturday, Jan. 26?

Check out our cellar

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Hmmmm I'll have to see if I can make it!
I live up in steamboat. I'm pretty new at this wine business... but its growing on me.

nmsoonergirl

[quote postid="1866113" user="michelleshari"

Do people have a time preference for Saturday, Jan. 26?[/quote]

Because of dog care issues, my sister will have to drive back to Colorado Springs after the tasting, so early evening would be best for them (I'd like them to not have to drive too late), but of course whatever works with you will be fine.

They DO have a rat terrier who is a GREAT rodent hunter, however, so if your mouse problem hasn't resolved itself maybe he could help you out

joelsisk

nmsoonergirl wrote:Because of dog care issues, my sister will have to drive back to Colorado Springs after the tasting, so early evening would be best for them (I'd like them to not have to drive too late), but of course whatever works with you will be fine.

They DO have a rat terrier who is a GREAT rodent hunter, however, so if your mouse problem hasn't resolved itself maybe he could help you out

Also, so that everyone knows... we have a beautiful little 90 pound Alaskan Malamute puppy. Dogs are welcome (assuming they play well with others and don't mind being outside for a bit).

joelsisk

Oh, and I recommend everyone brings a bottle per person. I don't think we need to have only wine.woots, nor any particular varietals or anything... though I'd hope that each was in the $15-30 range (as are most wine.woots). Does that work for everyone?

EDIT: NOT everyone brings a bottle per person, but each attendee brings a single bottle. So couples bring 2 bottles.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
joelsisk wrote:Oh, and I recommend everyone brings a bottle per person.

Don't forget to bring a snack that is appropriate for your wine!!! And BYO Decanter if one is needed - so that Joel and Michelle don't have to start looking around for pitchers.

I really need to just mass post this across all of the parties. WOOT!!!

Wish I could be there! Denver is one of my favorite cities to visit! -CJ

michelleshari

cjsiege wrote:Don't forget to bring a snack that is appropriate for your wine!!! And BYO Decanter if one is needed - so that Joel and Michelle don't have to start looking around for pitchers.

I really need to just mass post this across all of the parties. WOOT!!!

Wish I could be there! Denver is one of my favorite cities to visit! -CJ

Okay. Snacks. Yes. I'm happy to provide some snacks, but I'm not against having people bring stuff too. Our home is kosher though, so for the purposes of this shindig (assuming you all still want it at our home)... keep it dairy and/or vegetarian please. Fish (with fins and scales) is fine, but no shellfish.

We have 4 decanters and quite a few pitchers, though, so we should be good on that front.

And we need a time... is 7 too late for people? Or is that good?

And CJ - next time you're in Denver, let us know. We can do another tasting.

Oh, and I don't want to blast our address on a public forum, so for people coming... pop me a PM and I'll let you know exactly where we live.

Check out our cellar

joelsisk

michelleshari wrote:so for the purposes of this shindig (assuming you all still want it at our home)... keep it dairy and/or vegetarian please. Fish (with fins and scales) is fine, but no shellfish.

let's make it simple, shall we? anything that can be served cold which is vegetarian (vegan is not necessary)... packaged chips and crackers, any non-meat-infused cheeses (eg no bacon-blue), nuts, fresh fruits and veggies, breads, dips, etc. If people have specific requests for warm foods, let us know and we may be able to accommodate, and please don't be offended if we look at something you bring and politely ask you to take it back home with you. If you have any specific questions about foods, feel free to ask!