rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
thatguy314 wrote:Bump

'ONE WEEK!!!

feel free to post what you're brining

I intend to bring two wines. I have not decided on the second (for which my goal is to bring something I think is interesting), but the first is primarily educational for those who do not have long experience tasting California Cabernet Sauvignon: a Wente Cabernet Sauvignon, Livermore Valley, 2005. Note, that 2005 is an excellent year in California, and as the better 2005 Cabs and Zins are released, you should lay them down for long aging if you like aged wine and can afford it.

This is not an expensive wine (I think I paid about $12, but I don't pay full retail), but it will repay tasting. First, you need to know that Wente is one of two long-time Livermore Valley wineries still in existence (the other is Concannon), and is primarily known for its white wines. It was the first commercial producer of Pinot Chardonnay (as it was then labeled) in California (1962 IIRC. It was a very fresh wine, lovely, not in the big 'Burgundian' style now so popular in Napanoma, that was pioneered by now almost forgotten (but still around) Hanzell). They have not generally been known for their reds, which used to be available primarily at the winery.

But, I digress. The 2005 Wente Cabernet is interesting as wine for (at least) three reasons:

1. In this era of wines that are vinted and bottled by or made and bottled by or cellared and bottled by some well-known winery -- which means that you really don't know who actually made the wine, and the that the name on the label is just the winery that assembled the blend from bought in wines (a skill in itself, I don't mean to disparage it), the Wente Cab is grown, produced and bottled by Wente. Not only that, all of the grapes come from the Livermore Valley, an area historically important before prohibition for both reds and whites. Unless you try this or the Concannon, you won't taste wine from grapes from this terroir. I think most people would overlook this wine in a store.

2. In this era of high alcohol reds, it comes in at only 13.5% alcohol. It's not hot and that means it is designed to go with food. Ideal with lamb or good cuts of beef, it could also stand up to duck or goose.

3. In this era of fruit bombs and forward wines (thank you Robert Parker [ /sarcasm]), this is a very traditionally structured wine. When I opened a bottle the other day, it was closed up as tight as a drum (a little early for that, but more on that below) and took 45 minutes to 1 hour to open up. Once opened up, it has a very characteristic Cabernet nose, but running more to currants and spice than the very pronounced berry fruits you usually see today (though there is some of it there). It has a good entry. The middle palate is flavorful, but a little more acetic than I would like to see there for decades of aging. The finish is tannic (as to be expected in a 2 year old Cabernet) and of moderate length. I think it might have benefited from further barrel aging and some bottle aging before release - I wonder whether the timing of the release was a winemaker's 'readiness' decision or a decision driven by the need to move the product. No one would mistake this for a Merlot, though perhaps one might think Cabernet Franc.

So, for these reasons, I think the wine is worth your attention. It is not, in my view, a great wine that will age for 30-40 years like the 1974 Ridge Montebello I mentioned on another thread. Nor, even at it's peak, will it ever be one of the best Cabernet's you've ever had. Why not? Well, the balance is good, but not ideal -- at this stage there is more acidity and a little less tannin than I would like to see, and while the fruit is concentrated, I'm not convinced on my first tasting that it's enough to go very long. I think it may have an accelerated traditional 'life cycle: because it is closed tight at two years old, rather than the 5-6 year 'nap time' for top Cabs in a great year, I think it may come into its maturity sooner, perhaps at 8 or 10, rather than just beginning to open at 10 and peaking between 15-30. But, at its peak, I think it will be very good and very, very far above its price point. In short, an excellent value.

I don't think I'd buy very much of it in other than a good year. . But, based on my experience, at the age of 10 or so (perhaps as soon as 8), this will be an absolutely lovely and mature, balanced wine to drink with an excellent meal. I put some away and may buy a little more for mid-term drinking as I wait for top wines that need more aging.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
thatguy314 wrote:Woohoo, 100 posts....

Ok going through the previous 99, I've compiled a list of definites/probables. I may have made some assumptions if you said you could make the available date. Tell me if I'm missing anyone or if I've added someone I shouldn't. This isn't a commitment obviously, but I'd like a more-likely-than-not statement. Also if you're a definite maybe let me know.

1. Me
2. Mulebower
3. FDiaz
4. iByron
5,6. Akretz (+1)
7. bmckenna
8. RPM
9. Synchrodan
10. nematic (pending availability from lab?)

Polarbear haven't heard from you in a bit, still interested?

Sorry, fell off this list for a while. I cannot make it that day. I am just returning from FL after a deposition. Not fun. Really tempted, especially after reading rpm's last post. Not just that the wine sounds exciting, but I could learn a ton from him.

Wish it goes well for you. Weather looks like it will be nice as well.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be able to make it. This is a very busy time of year for us, I'll have to work that Sat morning (not that that is really an excuse), and may end up having to work late Fri night as well. I might not know until like the day or so before. If that's too late for me to let you know if I'm coming, then just count me out.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bmckenna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmckenna

'ONE WEEK!!!

I should still be coming. If I do, I'm thinking about bringing two bottles: a 2001 Blackjack Allusion Bordeaux (is bordeaux style the correct term?) blend that I thought was pretty good when I opened a month ago, and I'm not sure what else. Maybe a Brunello, or a request from the organizer for a varietal I'll pick up. Maybe one of the mixed case I got from WL, but I can't remember what exactly was in there, asides from the fact that it was 2 port, 2 white, and 8 red.

edit: I got unlazy and posted what I got from WL; if someone requests one of these or one of the Nocetos, I could bring that.

34297 1 Black Wing Shiraz 05
28024 1 Olivares Altos De La Hoya 05
32188 1 Leocadie Les Clauses 05
33165 1 Castano Monastrell 06
36375 1 Panarroz Jumilla Red 06
24574 1 Trevor Jones Tawny Port Jonesy
30076 1 Pure Evil Chardonnay 05
30811 1 Pablo Menguante Tempranillo 05
36591 1 Vina Chocalan Carmenere 06
17163 1 Buller Fine Tawny
25815 1 Cataldi Madonna Trebbiano D'abruzzo
9674 1 Concannon Petite Sirah Limited Release 04

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic

sadly, I will be unable to make this one. But I hope to be around for the next one, and I'd love to meet up with any of you who go to the australian wine festival in NYC - link posted in the previous thread page.

rpm

bmckenna wrote:I should still be coming. If I do, I'm thinking about bringing two bottles: a 2001 Blackjack Allusion Bordeaux (is bordeaux style the correct term?) blend that I thought was pretty good when I opened a month ago, and I'm not sure what else. Maybe a Brunello, or a request from the organizer for a varietal I'll pick up. Maybe one of the mixed case I got from WL, but I can't remember what exactly was in there, asides from the fact that it was 2 port, 2 white, and 8 red.

edit: I got unlazy and posted what I got from WL; if someone requests one of these or one of the Nocetos, I could bring that.

34297 1 Black Wing Shiraz 05
28024 1 Olivares Altos De La Hoya 05
32188 1 Leocadie Les Clauses 05
33165 1 Castano Monastrell 06
36375 1 Panarroz Jumilla Red 06
24574 1 Trevor Jones Tawny Port Jonesy
30076 1 Pure Evil Chardonnay 05
30811 1 Pablo Menguante Tempranillo 05
36591 1 Vina Chocalan Carmenere 06
17163 1 Buller Fine Tawny
25815 1 Cataldi Madonna Trebbiano D'abruzzo
9674 1 Concannon Petite Sirah Limited Release 04

I'd vote for the Concannon Sirah, but that's my own bias in favor of a wine I'm pretty sure will be very good. I used to drink quite a bit of Concannon Petit Sirah in California, it was -- along with Inglenook Charbono -- one of the least well-known and most 'insider' wines in the state. All the serious connoisseurs I knew laid in a case or more of each in every really good year for much later drinking. About a dozen or so years ago, I was fortunate enough to come across a whole case of 1974 Concannon Petit Sirah which I was able to buy for $60(!!). It was absolutely delicious at 20-25, as we drank it over several years. The last bottle or two were a bit tired towards the end of the last century. I think the first vintage of the Concannon I has was one from the early '60s. The '68, '70, '74, and '78 were particularly memorable, as was the '85.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rpm wrote:I'd vote for the Concannon Sirah, but that's my own bias in favor of a wine I'm pretty sure will be very good. I used to drink quite a bit of Concannon Petit Sirah in California, it was -- along with Inglenook Charbono -- one of the least well-known and most 'insider' wines in the state. All the serious connoisseurs I knew laid in a case or more of each in every really good year for much later drinking. About a dozen or so years ago, I was fortunate enough to come across a whole case of 1974 Concannon Petit Sirah which I was able to buy for $60(!!). It was absolutely delicious at 20-25, as we drank it over several years. The last bottle or two were a bit tired towards the end of the last century. I think the first vintage of the Concannon I has was one from the early '60s. The '68, '70, '74, and '78 were particularly memorable, as was the '85.

You just made Loweeel weep, actually weep.

Oh, and yes the 2004 limited release is in my very amatuer opinion, very good.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rpm

bhodilee wrote:You just made Loweeel weep, actually weep.

Oh, and yes the 2004 limited release is in my very amatuer opinion, very good.

I have only one concern about having the Concannon -- it is far too good for a tasting, and it would probably be infanticide to drink before 2014. But, I'm greedy and if I can drink something like that, I can surely be tempted.

Remember, the idea of a tasting like this is not to show off the best wines you have or can afford (unless you have them in sufficient quantity to sacrifice a bottle for the cause), but to present wines you think are worthy of attention, enjoyable, and, perhaps, educational, to boot.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rpm wrote:I have only one concern about having the Concannon -- it is far too good for a tasting, and it would probably be infanticide to drink before 2014. But, I'm greedy and if I can drink something like that, I can surely be tempted.

Remember, the idea of a tasting like this is not to show off the best wines you have or can afford (unless you have them in sufficient quantity to sacrifice a bottle for the cause), but to present wines you think are worthy of attention, enjoyable, and, perhaps, educational, to boot.

I'll have to pick up a couple more bottles for aging then. I didn't realize they were gonna be that age worthy. I should know better though, price does not mean ageability. I think they're still on sale locally for 8 bucks, I'll grab a case and open one every so often over the next six years. Fun and inexpensive way to taste how wine changes. It's still VERY good right out of the bottle, well after an hour or more in the decanter/glass at least.

Also, I've never had the urge to live in New York until this thread. Please post a detailed summary of how everything went so we can live vicariously though all of you.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rpm

bhodilee wrote:I'll have to pick up a couple more bottles for aging then. I didn't realize they were gonna be that age worthy. I should know better though, price does not mean ageability. I think they're still on sale locally for 8 bucks, I'll grab a case and open one every so often over the next six years. Fun and inexpensive way to taste how wine changes. It's still VERY good right out of the bottle, well after an hour or more in the decanter/glass at least.

Also, I've never had the urge to live in New York until this thread. Please post a detailed summary of how everything went so we can live vicariously though all of you.

Well, I don't live in New York, just across the border in Greenwich, Connecticut: close enough enjoy New York shopping, concerts, theaters, museums, restaurants, etc., but far enough away you don't have to deal with the crowds and political correctness all the time.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

rpm wrote:I have only one concern about having the Concannon -- it is far too good for a tasting, and it would probably be infanticide to drink before 2014. But, I'm greedy and if I can drink something like that, I can surely be tempted.

Just yesterday I had delivered a halfcase of the '04 Concannon PS. Hearing you and Loweel talk about it, sounds like it's gonna be lovely when I eventually get around to drinking it. I'll try to hold onto it until as close to 2014 as possible...though I'm sure I'll drink a bottle or two or three before then.

And part of that same order WL screwed up and sent me 6 bottles of the '04 R.H. Phillips EXP Syrah instead of the '05 EXP Viognier I had ordered. Time to send them an email to find out what needs to be done to fix this.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I am pretty impressed by that! I have 2 bottles of the '04 Concannon (though their so-called limited release is in actuality anything but).
Thanks to winebid, ebay, and my best friend's mom, I actually have a few older bottles of PS (with more on the way). I'm sure some of them are probably crap, but that's the risk you take with older wines.

I've got the 1988 Topolos Rossi Ranch (Sonoma), the 1990 Mirassou (Monterey/Central Coast), and 2 bottles of the 1995 Arciero (Stanford Alumni rebottling -- Paso Robles/Central Coast). Assuming they're not bad, the first 2 should be approaching the the 2nd drinking window shortly!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

mozart23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mozart23
rpm wrote:I intend to bring two wines. I have not decided on the second (for which my goal is to bring something I think is interesting), but the first is primarily educational for those who do not have long experience tasting California Cabernet Sauvignon: a Wente Cabernet Sauvignon, Livermore Valley, 2005. Note, that 2005 is an excellent year in California, and as the better 2005 Cabs and Zins are released, you should lay them down for long aging if you like aged wine and can afford it.

This is not an expensive wine (I think I paid about $12, but I don't pay full retail), but it will repay tasting. First, you need to know that Wente is one of two long-time Livermore Valley wineries still in existence (the other is Concannon), and is primarily known for its white wines. It was the first commercial producer of Pinot Chardonnay (as it was then labeled) in California (1962 IIRC. It was a very fresh wine, lovely, not in the big 'Burgundian' style now so popular in Napanoma, that was pioneered by now almost forgotten (but still around) Hanzell). They have not generally been known for their reds, which used to be available primarily at the winery.

But, I digress. The 2005 Wente Cabernet is interesting as wine for (at least) three reasons:

1. In this era of wines that are vinted and bottled by or made and bottled by or cellared and bottled by some well-known winery -- which means that you really don't know who actually made the wine, and the that the name on the label is just the winery that assembled the blend from bought in wines (a skill in itself, I don't mean to disparage it), the Wente Cab is grown, produced and bottled by Wente. Not only that, all of the grapes come from the Livermore Valley, an area historically important before prohibition for both reds and whites. Unless you try this or the Concannon, you won't taste wine from grapes from this terroir. I think most people would overlook this wine in a store.

2. In this era of high alcohol reds, it comes in at only 13.5% alcohol. It's not hot and that means it is designed to go with food. Ideal with lamb or good cuts of beef, it could also stand up to duck or goose.

3. In this era of fruit bombs and forward wines (thank you Robert Parker [ /sarcasm]), this is a very traditionally structured wine. When I opened a bottle the other day, it was closed up as tight as a drum (a little early for that, but more on that below) and took 45 minutes to 1 hour to open up. Once opened up, it has a very characteristic Cabernet nose, but running more to currants and spice than the very pronounced berry fruits you usually see today (though there is some of it there). It has a good entry. The middle palate is flavorful, but a little more acetic than I would like to see there for decades of aging. The finish is tannic (as to be expected in a 2 year old Cabernet) and of moderate length. I think it might have benefited from further barrel aging and some bottle aging before release - I wonder whether the timing of the release was a winemaker's 'readiness' decision or a decision driven by the need to move the product. No one would mistake this for a Merlot, though perhaps one might think Cabernet Franc.

So, for these reasons, I think the wine is worth your attention. It is not, in my view, a great wine that will age for 30-40 years like the 1974 Ridge Montebello I mentioned on another thread. Nor, even at it's peak, will it ever be one of the best Cabernet's you've ever had. Why not? Well, the balance is good, but not ideal -- at this stage there is more acidity and a little less tannin than I would like to see, and while the fruit is concentrated, I'm not convinced on my first tasting that it's enough to go very long. I think it may have an accelerated traditional 'life cycle: because it is closed tight at two years old, rather than the 5-6 year 'nap time' for top Cabs in a great year, I think it may come into its maturity sooner, perhaps at 8 or 10, rather than just beginning to open at 10 and peaking between 15-30. But, at its peak, I think it will be very good and very, very far above its price point. In short, an excellent value.

I don't think I'd buy very much of it in other than a good year. . But, based on my experience, at the age of 10 or so (perhaps as soon as 8), this will be an absolutely lovely and mature, balanced wine to drink with an excellent meal. I put some away and may buy a little more for mid-term drinking as I wait for top wines that need more aging.

I'll also add that the Wente is a beautiful place to visit and a good place to grab some lunch

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

Obviously I ignore 90% of what comes out of my brother's mouth, but doesn't PS enter a long dumb period around 7 y/o? Seems to me you'd want to drink the 2004 before 2011 or much after.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
thatguy314 wrote:Woohoo, 100 posts....

Ok going through the previous 99, I've compiled a list of definites/probables. I may have made some assumptions if you said you could make the available date. Tell me if I'm missing anyone or if I've added someone I shouldn't. This isn't a commitment obviously, but I'd like a more-likely-than-not statement. Also if you're a definite maybe let me know.

1. Me
2. Mulebower
3. FDiaz
4. iByron
5,6. Akretz (+1)
7. bmckenna
8. RPM
9. Synchrodan
10. nematic (pending availability from lab?)

Polarbear haven't heard from you in a bit, still interested?

Unfortunately, I won't be making this one. Two back-to-back conferences with a houseguest for one of them.

The un-smiley is for the conferences, not the houseguest.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

thatguy314

This friday.

What I know so far...

1. Me - Domaine Laroche Chablis St Martin + ?
2. Mulebower - ? (And possibly some humbug cuz too much merlot for him)
3. FDiaz -
4. iByron
5,6. Akretz (+1)
7. bmckenna - Blackjack Allusion 2001 +/- ?
8. RPM - Wente Cab 2005 + ?
9. Synchrodan

Hitanykey is still undecided.
My girlfriend may come by with some bubbly but that's a maybe.

If you decide what to bring please post.

PM me for directions. See you this friday.

bmckenna

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Just yesterday I had delivered a halfcase of the '04 Concannon PS. Hearing you and Loweel talk about it, sounds like it's gonna be lovely when I eventually get around to drinking it. I'll try to hold onto it until as close to 2014 as possible...though I'm sure I'll drink a bottle or two or three before then.

And part of that same order WL screwed up and sent me 6 bottles of the '04 R.H. Phillips EXP Syrah instead of the '05 EXP Viognier I had ordered. Time to send them an email to find out what needs to be done to fix this.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a half case extra from WL when I go pick up the aforementioned wines. From how rpm was describing it, it seems like a steal at that price point.

I just don't know if any of the wines I have are "educational" or not, but that's more because I'm not that sure what "educational" constitutes. I mean, I'm sure I have an idea, but unlike rpm's description of the bottle he's bringing, I'm still not well versed enough to determine whether or not a specific bottle is "educational" for the varietal.

Loweeel

thatguy314 wrote:This friday.

What I know so far...

2. Mulebower - ? (And possibly some humbug cuz too much merlot for him)
3. FDiaz -
4. iByron
5,6. Akretz (+1)
7. bmckenna - Blackjack Allusion 2001 +/- ?
8. RPM - Wente Cab 2005 + ?
9. Synchrodan

Hitanykey is still undecided.
My girlfriend may come by with some bubbly but that's a maybe.

If you decide what to bring please post.

PM me for directions. See you this friday.

You might also want to post this in this week's wine thread and the cyberpub just to pick up any stragglers.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz

Ok just so you guys know, this is my DF's birthday, would it be terrible if I brought an additional person? I'll make sure they bring some wine with them :D

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

thatguy314

akretz wrote:Ok just so you guys know, this is my DF's birthday, would it be terrible if I brought an additional person? I'll make sure they bring some wine with them :D

NP. I don't have a huge apartment, but I think we could handle a couple more.

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01

I will probably bring the ’03 Passion d’Une Vie Côtes du Roussillon Languedoc-Roussillon $21.97 (at a discount price, usually around $30)

This wine is from Bernard Magrez, a somewhat controversial figure in France. I think its interesting because it is made in a modern way, yet retains some old world characteristics. Guess we can describe it later

I might also bring a good value either from some of the up and coming regions of Spain or from Cote du Ventoux a relatively new appelation in the Rhone Valley

thatguy314

Ok, so tasting is this friday, let's try to get it going by 9, but feel free to show up earlier (esp. if you want your wine to breath). I'll be at my place setting up definitely before 8:30.

Everyone should bring their own tasting glass because I don't have enough to go around. I only have one decanter, so if you feel it's important for your wine to be decanted, and you have one that you can transport without a lot of fuss, also feel free to bring that.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'll be checking up this week.
Also, PM me for directions if you need them.

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan

'ONE WEEK!!!

I think I'll bring an Israeli Shiraz from Dalton Vineyards. I first discovered this wine about 3 years ago on Fresh Direct (which gets its wine through "Best Cellars") and it instantly became one of my favorite mid-range priced wines. It's a nearly black-in-color spice bomb. It is a really big wine, especially for the price ($24 at Fresh Direct). I figure it might be a fun one to bring because I haven't had much trouble finding it through Fresh Direct or Best Cellars over the past 3 years, so any NYCer can pretty easily get more if you like it, but it's not so common that they'll sell it at Food Emporium.

Not sure what vintage I'll bring... I think I've got 3 different vintages in my cellars, but I'll try to bring one that isn't younger than 2005. Pretty sure I have an '06 in there, which might be a little young (haven't tried it yet).

The wine is also kosher for anyone out there who happens to be Jewish and cares. (I am not Jewish, but as a Catholic I find it kind of fun to imagine biblical figures drinking wine from the very same ground in Galilee that these grapes are now grown.)

Anyway, if people are already familiar with this one and want something more obscure, let me know. I've got plenty of other bottles.

I think it will just be me, as my girlfriend can't stand it when I geek out about wine, which I suspect I will be doing most of the time I'm there. Hey I can't be cool all the time, right?

Loweeel

synchrodan wrote:I think I'll bring an Israeli Shiraz from Dalton Vineyards. I first discovered this wine about 3 years ago on Fresh Direct (which gets its wine through "Best Cellars") and it instantly became one of my favorite mid-range priced wines. It's a nearly black-in-color spice bomb. It is a really big wine, especially for the price ($24 at Fresh Direct). I figure it might be a fun one to bring because I haven't had much trouble finding it through Fresh Direct or Best Cellars over the past 3 years, so any NYCer can pretty easily get more if you like it, but it's not so common that they'll sell it at Food Emporium.

Not sure what vintage I'll bring... I think I've got 3 different vintages in my cellars, but I'll try to bring one that isn't younger than 2005. Pretty sure I have an '06 in there, which might be a little young (haven't tried it yet).

The wine is also kosher for anyone out there who happens to be Jewish and cares. (I am not Jewish, but as a Catholic I find it kind of fun to imagine biblical figures drinking wine from the very same ground in Galilee that these grapes are now grown.)

Anyway, if people are already familiar with this one and want something more obscure, let me know. I've got plenty of other bottles.

I think it will just be me, as my girlfriend can't stand it when I geek out about wine, which I suspect I will be doing most of the time I'm there. Hey I can't be cool all the time, right?

Dalton makes very nice wines. Great pick.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

HitAnyKey42

Just updating that I won't know if I'll make it out until probably that day. It'll all come down to how my Thursday goes, as I work in accounting and we're going through the month end close process for one of our companies and I'll probably be there from 8am until 2am. And only if we get everything complete enough will I know if I might get out of the office on time on Friday to get out to the Bronx (I work in Melville on LI, so it'd be about an hour drive...though hopefully less. Plus I'll be working all day Saturday as well.

I've no clue what to bring, so if anyone wants to take a look at my cellartracker and give a few suggestions, feel free. I'd prefer to bring something I have more than one of so after tasting I could decide when and how to drink the rest.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Loweeel

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Just updating that I won't know if I'll make it out until probably that day. It'll all come down to how my Thursday goes, as I work in accounting and we're going through the month end close process for one of our companies and I'll probably be there from 8am until 2am. And only if we get everything complete enough will I know if I might get out of the office on time on Friday to get out to the Bronx (I work in Melville on LI, so it'd be about an hour drive...though hopefully less. Plus I'll be working all day Saturday as well.

I've no clue what to bring, so if anyone wants to take a look at my cellartracker and give a few suggestions, feel free. I'd prefer to bring something I have more than one of so after tasting I could decide when and how to drink the rest.

Chateau Valrose '04, Noceto Riserva or Zin, one of the non-Merlot Wellingtons. I do know that my brother would like some PoiZin or to have a pre-opening sample of the CF-Tempranillo.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

rpm

OK, I think I have my second wine, something that I think is unique and potentially interesting: a half-bottle of 1987 Penfolds Late Harvest Riesling. A botrytis wine, with residual sugar around 14.4% I had a mixed case of this and a similar Penfolds Late Harvest Semillion (12 1/2 bottles each) that's now down to 2 bottles of the Riesling and one of the Semillion.

This was my first experience with Australian induced botrytis wines and from what I remember (I don't have any notes I can find), my initial impression of them was 'interesting' -- not in the same league with top BAs and TBAs from Germany for the Riesling or better Sauternes from France, but certainly comparable most of the (then available) California induced botrytis wines and possibly better than German and French dessert wines in their price category, which was (at the time) pretty cheap.

Both drank very nicely from around 1995, though I haven't opened a bottle in a few years and honestly don't know whether they continued to improve, are holding on, or are over the hill. So, this will be as much a surprise for good or ill for me as for everyone else.

I should add (unfortunately) that there is a chance I will be unable to come due to extenuating circumstances....

Just to intrigue you, Here are some tasting notes from 1999 from a Tom Hill of Los Olivos Wines & Spirits Emporium on the Semillion - no I'm not gonna bring that as it's my last bottle:

Penfolds Late Harvest South Australia Semillon (10.3%; RS: 16.7%; SaH: 34.2%) '87: Med.dark gold color; strong butterscotchy/oaked/tobaccoy some apricotty/ botrytis some complex figgy nose; strong tobaccoy/toasty/butterscotchy rather figgy/apricotty/botrytis flavor; long soft rich sweet strong tobaccoy/toasty/ oaked rather figgy/apricotty/botrytis finish; more acidity & zip and not as flabby as the Lehmann.

Those notes are consistent with my recollection.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01

OK so here are some notes on the 03 Passion d'une Vie from pjwine.com (where i bought it, here in NYC)
This power-packed red is cut in an Aussie inspired style. It is very deeply colored and offers an expansive nose of deep black cherry and herbs de Provence, followed by vanilla bean, mocha, rich oak and saddle leather notes. The palate is full and plush with ultra-ripe blackberry, black cherry and red berry fruit flavors, accented by notes of coffee, toasty vanilla, garrigue and dried plum. This big, flavor-packed wine offers a wild herb inflected French twist on New World power.

Not yet sure on the 2nd but if someone brings the Tempranillo i think we should compare it with a wine from Toro or Ribera del Duero, which usually show the full bodied and powerfull side of tempranillo (quiet different from the more elegant, lighter bodied traditional Riojas)

thatguy314

Tomorrow night! Let's try to aim for 8:30, get it started by 9.
If working late is an issue, don't worry, we'll get over it.

2. Mulebower - ? + probably humbug
3. FDiaz - ’03 Passion d’Une Vie Côtes du Roussillon Languedoc-Roussillon
4,5,6. Akretz (+2) - ?
7. bmckenna - Blackjack Allusion 2001
8. RPM - Wente Cab 2005 + 1987 Penfolds Late Harvest Riesling
9. Synchrodan - Israeli Shiraz from Dalton Vineyards

If the GF comes she'll probably bring some bubbly.

HitAnyKey42

As I had PM'd, I'm a near definite for coming now. I'll go through my CT again in a little while and try to pick something, starting with what was suggested as possibles.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

thatguy314

bmckenna, can you check your PMs?

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz

I feel terribly guilty, but somebody has thrown a party for the DF since we can't afford one for ourselves, and apparently it would be really bad form if I didn't go... How do I get out of this? Maybe I can tell her I have to work late?? crap.

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

bmckenna

thatguy314 wrote:Tomorrow night! Let's try to aim for 8:30, get it started by 9.
If working late is an issue, don't worry, we'll get over it.

2. Mulebower - ? + probably humbug
3. FDiaz - ’03 Passion d’Une Vie Côtes du Roussillon Languedoc-Roussillon
4,5,6. Akretz (+2) - ?
7. bmckenna - Blackjack Allusion 2001
8. RPM - Wente Cab 2005 + 1987 Penfolds Late Harvest Riesling
9. Synchrodan - Israeli Shiraz from Dalton Vineyards

If the GF comes she'll probably bring some bubbly.

Since I don't see one and Loweeel's ghost would haunt me, I'll probably bring the Concannon PS as well (provided I can get to WL tonight to pick it up.) Going to visit my sister who had adenoid surgery, and WL should only be a few minutes away, so it shouldn't be a problem.

HitAnyKey42

akretz wrote:I feel terribly guilty, but somebody has thrown a party for the DF since we can't afford one for ourselves, and apparently it would be really bad form if I didn't go... How do I get out of this? Maybe I can tell her I have to work late?? crap.

How about just that you have a prior commitment of an important nature.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Loweeel

bmckenna wrote:Since I don't see one and Loweeel's ghost would haunt me, I'll probably bring the Concannon PS as well (provided I can get to WL tonight to pick it up.) Going to visit my sister who had adenoid surgery, and WL should only be a few minutes away, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, if you want to get the David Bruce instead, my brother's eager to try it (and he's had the Concannon before). It's still <$20.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bmckenna

Loweeel wrote:Actually, if you want to get the David Bruce instead, my brother's eager to try it (and he's had the Concannon before). It's still <$20.

Funny, my coworker just suggested the same thing (seriously.) He thought it was a Syrah and then realized it was PS. Well, we shall see.

thatguy314

bmckenna wrote:Since I don't see one and Loweeel's ghost would haunt me, I'll probably bring the Concannon PS as well (provided I can get to WL tonight to pick it up.) Going to visit my sister who had adenoid surgery, and WL should only be a few minutes away, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're going to WL can you pick up a cheese for me to serve that I had there? It's supposed to be excellent with Bordeaux varietals. In all honesty don't know my cheese pairings that well so I'm going by the clerks. But it was a damn good cheese.

I can't read the pic on my phone that well, but it looks like Polder Gold 1yr Goat

As far as PS, don't let Lowell push you around. I've never had the David Bruce (though am interested int eh reviews), but I know I like concannon and am always happy to drink one.

HitAnyKey42

thatguy314 wrote:
As far as PS, don't let Lowell push you around. I've never had the David Bruce (though am interested int eh reviews), but I know I like concannon and am always happy to drink one.

And I would be just as happy myself to get a pre-taste of the concannon since I had bought a few of them which are in my cellar. But I'll taste anything, so it doesn't really matter.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Currently, I'm thinking my top pick for bringing is the 2005 Masies d'Avinyo Abadal Pla de Bages Cabernet Franc - Tempranillo. It was an enjoyable bottle the first time I had it.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bmckenna

thatguy314 wrote:If you're going to WL can you pick up a cheese for me to serve that I had there? It's supposed to be excellent with Bordeaux varietals. In all honesty don't know my cheese pairings that well so I'm going by the clerks. But it was a damn good cheese.

I can't read the pic on my phone that well, but it looks like Polder Gold 1yr Goat

Damn, if only I'd caught this before I went, sorry =( I'll make a post next time I'm going. Got a few extra bottles while I was there, the store is damn impressive.

Per rpm's recommendation and HAK's request (and my own personal desire as well, I got 3 bottles =)) I'll bring the Concannon and save the David Bruce.