jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

It seems there are more than a few wine.wooters in the Virginia / DC area. Is anyone interested in trying to do a tasting or gathering? I know folks this way tend to be awfully busy (especially you folks who are actually IN DC), but I thought I'd throw the question out and see what bites.

CT | | | | | |

theresa1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013

Hey, this sounds like a great idea! Count me in. Does anyone have any suggestions for dates or locations?

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
jwhite6114 wrote:It seems there are more than a few wine.wooters in the Virginia / DC area. Is anyone interested in trying to do a tasting or gathering? I know folks this way tend to be awfully busy (especially you folks who are actually IN DC), but I thought I'd throw the question out and see what bites.

My schedule is busy to say the least, but...I'd definitely be up for it.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

madgoat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madgoat

If it would work for my schedule I would love to come up from Blacksburg and work in some time with friends up there (and shopping of course!)

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

I'm in Philadelphia, but my folks are in NoVA. I'd schedule a visit around one of these if it were a weekend or so.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

HELL SMURFING YES!!!!

I will also bring petite sirah (or course). I have an '05 Jaffurs just waiting for a discriminating set of palates (as well as a 1990 Mirassou). I can also host, but I don't have enough glassware for everybody...

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

madgoat

Loweeel wrote:HELL SMURFING YES!!!!

I will also bring petite sirah (or course). I have an '05 Jaffurs just waiting for a discriminating set of palates (as well as a 1990 Mirassou). I can also host, but I don't have enough glassware for everybody...

BYOG! I have a few Reidel super cab glasses I could contribute to the cause!

Loweeel

I'm happy to host on 10/19-10/20 or 10/26-27. I live in VA Square in Arlington. WD can send the tasting samples or other goodies to me :-D

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

madgoat

Loweeel wrote:I'm happy to host on 10/19-10/20 or 10/26-27. I live in VA Square in Arlington. WD can send the tasting samples or other goodies to me :-D

All treasure must be declared and inspected! No samples from WD without sharing!

Loweeel

madgoat wrote:All treasure must be declared and inspected! No samples from WD without sharing!

Well, it would be for consumption at the tasting... and since I live right near a metro (literally 5 mins from Metro door to my front door), we can all drink quite a bit

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

jwhite6114

Loweeel wrote:Well, it would be for consumption at the tasting... and since I live right near a metro (literally 5 mins from Metro door to my front door), we can all drink quite a bit

L -- thanks for offering to host! I must confess that after I posted the question without a clear plan of where this event could take place.

Metro proximity is nice, though I am still far enough out that the metro would not get me all the way (Gainesville). Others, too, seem to be interested from outside of the DC area; but for those within the Metro range that is very cool.

I am sure glasses will not be a problem for folks. How should we arrange the rest?

Depending on the number of people, we could each bring a bottle for tasting (wine.woot offerings, of course). Since I am sure there are varying levels of purchasing history we should post what we are offering to bring to ensure we get do bring duplicates, nor something that everyone has already tried (unless it is a popular choice to serve as a control).

(and having said that, I'll need to check my cellar at home to know what I can offer to bring )
Thoughts?

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Wow! I didn't realize there were so many of us! I'm down in Stafford. While I can't make an October weekend (i'm out of town much of the month), would love to get together a little later on. My cellar is bare, but I'll be happy to do some catering. I make some tasty pinwheel thingies and a mean chicken satay. -CJ

jwhite6114

OK, turns out October is not going to work for me. Loweel suggested the weekend of 10/20, but there has not been much response to that date. I wonder if we need to pick a date with more lead time (at least for the first of these) in order to get a good turnout.

CT | | | | | |

iByron

10/20 would be a great date for me. But put it on a weekend and not Thanksgiving week (either end).

I'll bring my own glass.

Anybody got extra Polyphemus?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

vaaccess

I can't commit yet, but the weekend of October 20th would work for me, too. Doing it on a Friday would be hard for me (From Richmond) and others who would be coming from out of town...If the location were near a hotel that would be ideal, btw, since i doubt I'd drive back to Richmond that night...

Loweeel

vaaccess wrote:I can't commit yet, but the weekend of October 20th would work for me, too. Doing it on a Friday would be hard for me (From Richmond) and others who would be coming from out of town...If the location were near a hotel that would be ideal, btw, since i doubt I'd drive back to Richmond that night...

There at least 2 hotels within 0.5 miles of my place.

I can basically do whenever -- 10/20 or 11/3? I want to get as much turnout as possible, so I guess just post and say (if you haven't already) if one of those WILL NOT work for you.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

Loweeel

iByron wrote:10/20 would be a great date for me. But put it on a weekend and not Thanksgiving week (either end).

I'll bring my own glass.

Anybody got extra Polyphemus?

iByron

I don't know if I'll be ready to remove Polyphemus from his Polystyrene resting place yet, but I still have that bottle of 2003 Hess Small Block Estate Syrah Rose waiting for you.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Count me in (depending on date chosen).

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

vaaccess

Loweeel wrote:There at least 2 hotels within 0.5 miles of my place.

I can basically do whenever -- 10/20 or 11/3? I want to get as much turnout as possible, so I guess just post and say (if you haven't already) if one of those WILL NOT work for you.

For me, the 11/3 date won't work between those two...

jwhite6114

Neither weekend works for me. There's a chance I can make 10/20 work, but I wouldn't count on it. 11/3 definitely out for me.

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

Nov isn't a good month for me, other than the first weekend. 2nd weekend I'm going to Cali, and the 2nd and 3rd border Thanksgiving.

12/1?

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

madgoat

10/20 works for me, I can't commit to any time in November - too many plans up in the air around Thanksgiving, first three weekends of December would work, however.

I have three bottles of Polyphemus coming and a smattering of other Woot offerings. I generally don't buy for long term holding since my space is limited so my selections are pretty recent, except for the three bottles of Monkey Prize I still have ;)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

let me know one a head count is solidified. i'll keep an eye on this.

WD

Loweeel

Winedavid39 wrote:let me know one a head count is solidified. i'll keep an eye on this.

WD

You wouldn't by any chance be able to send out an e-vite link to all the wine.wooters in DC, VA, and MD, would you?

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

vaaccess

Loweeel wrote:
You wouldn't by any chance be able to send out an e-vite link to all the wine.wooters in DC, VA, and MD, would you?

I don't think he'd want to, honestly...Too many people are too sensitive about having any part of their personal information used in any way. *shrugs*

Hopefully we'll get enough interest just with this thread.

My November/December are going to be really hectic, so it's either the weekend of October 20th or nothing until 2008 for me...

And...I'd be willing to bring almost anything from my cellar...

Loweeel

vaaccess wrote:I don't think he'd want to, honestly...Too many people are too sensitive about having any part of their personal information used in any way. *shrugs*

My November/December are going to be really hectic, so it's either the weekend of October 20th or nothing until 2008 for me...

We could do 10/20 and then another after the Super Bowl

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

iByron

Loweeel wrote:We could do 10/20 and then another after the Super Bowl

10/20 it is! I'm going to tell my folks that I'm coming down that weekend and to get the sewing out of my room!

If you will attend on 10/20, post a messsage here including the words:

"I WILL ATTEND ON 10/20"

And add your handle to the list below. if you don't want to be public, send the same message in private to me and Loweeel (but public is easier).

EDIT: Oh, and say what you'll bring, if you know.

Attendees:
Loweeel - host
iByron - Fess Parker Viognier

Your Private WIneaux

Loweeel

vaaccess wrote:I don't think he'd want to, honestly...Too many people are too sensitive about having any part of their personal information used in any way. *shrugs*

Either the Tatria (which Nallie keeps raving about, right?) or the Mr. Riggs S-V would be my preferences I'll open just about anything but the Chateau Villemaurines or Polyphemus... I'd open the '90 Petite I have, but I want to wait a few more years to make sure it's out of the dumb phase.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

there are quite a few people in northern virginia.
alot more than san diego. heh

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz

How far from DC? You know i could take the china town bus down and visit my friend that weekend, if somebody wanted to pick me up for the gathering.

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

Loweeel

akretz wrote:How far from DC? You know i could take the china town bus down and visit my friend that weekend, if somebody wanted to pick me up for the gathering.

http://www.dc2ny.com/ -- bus with internet! One of my friends rode it last month and really enjoyed it.

No pickup is necessary, as you can walk from the metro exit to my front door in less than 5 mins. The DC2NY bus lets you off at 2 places, one of which (The 14th st. stop -- http://www.dc2ny.com/main.aspx?fi=14) is right near the McPherson square station of the Orange Line of the metro. From there, there can be up to 20 mins of waiting for the next train, but once you're on, it's about 13 mins to my stop, and from there, a 5 min walk to my house. I can give you additional details if you need them.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart
iByron wrote:10/20 it is! I'm going to tell my folks that I'm coming down that weekend and to get the sewing out of my room!

"I WILL ATTEND ON 10/20"

And add your handle to the list below. if you don't want to be public, send the same message in private to me and Loweeel (but public is easier).

Attendees:
Loweeel - host

"I WILL ATTEND ON 10/20." (unless something unexpected interferes)
Have to look over my present wine stock to determine what I'd bring.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz

ok I will totally be there at the next one, but I realized late this afternoon that's the same weekend I'm working with a bunch of inner city kids painting murals and such. I'd let you all ooh and aah but I never do this sort of thing, so it's a good reason NOT to ditch them for wine. lulz.

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

Loweeel

akretz wrote:ok I will totally be there at the next one, but I realized late this afternoon that's the same weekend I'm working with a bunch of inner city kids painting murals and such. I'd let you all ooh and aah but I never do this sort of thing, so it's a good reason NOT to ditch them for wine. lulz.

What time does it end? The bus runs fairly frequently, and we still haven't figured out the start time yet

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

madgoat

iByron wrote:10/20 it is! I'm going to tell my folks that I'm coming down that weekend and to get the sewing out of my room!

"I WILL ATTEND ON 10/20"

Attendees:
Loweeel - host

I WILL ATTEND ON 10/20!
YAY
I will bring a couple of bottles to choose from including a Highway 12 in case there are duplicates.

Loweeel

My brother ("Thatguy314") -- not that active, but posts occasionally, will also be there. So we are up to 5. I emailed Marissa of Hahn ("DCRooster" from when they were selling), but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. I will keep posting with additional info.

I also have some friends who like wine who might show up later w/ bottles of their own, but they won't be included in the talley or get any of the woot goodies. And feel free to bring SO/gf/bf/DF/DH/DW ... just as long as you have stemware for them too!

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Y'all are killin' me! I've got a major committment that daytime! Has L. set a time? If so, I might be able to swing up after 7pm. I'll have to go back and check the Armida notes, but I can bring the Sauv Blanc or the Chard (depending on the guidance from Armida - I think they said either one is good now). Got to have some blondes amid the red-heads!

EDIT: Just checked the blog, and Jessica from Armida said next 3 years on the Sauv Blanc and 5 years on the Chard. So, you've got a choice!

*sigh* Guess this means that I'LL BE THERE ON 10/20, along with a blonde of choice (wine, not hottie - unfortunately).

Loweeel

cjsiege wrote:Y'all are killin' me! I've got a major committment that daytime! Has L. set a time? If so, I might be able to swing up after 7pm. I'll have to go back and check the Armida notes, but I can bring the Sauv Blanc or the Chard (depending on the guidance from Armida - I think they said either one is good now). Got to have some blondes amid the red-heads!

EDIT: Just checked the blog, and Jessica from Armida said next 3 years on the Sauv Blanc and 5 years on the Chard. So, you've got a choice!

*sigh* Guess this means that I'LL BE THERE ON 10/20, along with a blonde of choice (wine, not hottie - unfortunately).

I vote for SB We don't have a starting time yet, but I don't see any problem with starting at 6 or 7, so you can make most of it.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

jalcausk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jalcausk

Unfortunately I will be at a wedding the weekend of 10/20 but just wanted to pipe up to say that I also live in Arlington and would love to attend such events in the future! Hope you all have a blast!

madgoat - are you at VT? I graduated in '05

Loweeel

jalcausk wrote:Unfortunately I will be at a wedding the weekend of 10/20 but just wanted to pipe up to say that I also live in Arlington and would love to attend such events in the future! Hope you all have a blast!

madgoat - are you at VT? I graduated in '05

We will be having another after the Super Bowl...

CT ¬ PSychos' Path