+ Add a Comment

JudyL1118

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JudyL1118

I feel like I have made so many friends on wine.woot - I thought it might be fun if we got to know one another a little better. I'll start. Please feel free to join in, or continue with anonymity if that is your preference.

I am female. My family and I are currently living in Fort Collins, Colorado. My husband has been transferred a lot, so we have spent a lot of time in Fort Worth, Texas...Henryetta, Oklahoma... Elsberry, Missouri... Houston, Texas... and now Colorado.

My husband and I have five children. I'll start with the youngest and work up. The babies are 10 year old identical twin boys (redheads.) We refer to them as our bonus kids. The third eldest is in her first year at college. The second eldest has just completed recruit training in the Marines, and will be heading back after this weekend to complete her vocational training (public affairs) which will take her about nine months. Our eldest son is in the Army. He is currently stationed in Baqubah, Iraq, which is northwest of Bagdhad, on the Tigris River.

That's probably a good start. I hope to meet some more of you on here!

Who hides behind that wine.woot user name?
Please post a quick bio on Getting to Know You
Join us on Facebook, too!

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez
JudyL1118 wrote:I feel like I have made so many friends on wine.woot - I thought it might be fun if we got to know one another a little better. I'll start. Please feel free to join in, or continue with anonymity if that is your preference.

I am female. My family and I are currently living in Fort Collins, Colorado. My husband has been transferred a lot, so we have spent a lot of time in Fort Worth, Texas...Henryetta, Oklahoma... Elsberry, Missouri... Houston, Texas... and now Colorado.

My husband and I have five children. I'll start with the youngest and work up. The babies are 10 year old identical twin boys (redheads.) We refer to them as our bonus kids. The third eldest is in her first year at college. The second eldest has just completed recruit training in the Marines, and will be heading back after this weekend to complete her vocational training (public affairs) which will take her about nine months. Our eldest son is in the Army. He is currently stationed in Baqubah, Iraq, which is northwest of Bagdhad, on the Tigris River.

That's probably a good start. I hope to meet some more of you on here!

Ok, I'll join in here. I'm male, grew up in the St. Louis, MO area, now living in Sedalia, MO (west-central Missouri).

My wife and I have 4 children, 2 grandsons. My youngest child is my 22 year old daughter who is living with us while she finishes college. She's the one person in my family that loves wine as much as I do.

I work at a hospital as the Director of Health Information Managment (Medical Records).

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

danncer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danncer
JudyL1118 wrote:I feel like I have made so many friends on wine.woot - I thought it might be fun if we got to know one another a little better.

Great idea, Judy! I've been too intimidated to post much on the wine.woot forums, but I've been lurking for quite some time.

I'm a native Californian, born and raised in southern California. After two years of grad school in Indiana, I started working in Sacramento and, two years later, moved to the Bay Area, where I've lived most of my adult life. Due to a family situation, I moved back to southern California last year. I'm adjusting to life in the suburbs of Orange County, but I still miss the Bay Area and its proximity to so many wonderful wine regions. I may not be an hour's drive to Napa or Sonoma anymore, but at least I still have wine.woot .

woot! purchases since 10/2006: a whole lotta wine, a few t-shirts, a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, and not one single Box Of Crackers.

danncer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danncer
JudyL1118 wrote:My husband and I have five children. I'll start with the youngest and work up. The babies are 10 year old identical twin boys (redheads.) We refer to them as our bonus kids. The third eldest is in her first year at college. The second eldest has just completed recruit training in the Marines, and will be heading back after this weekend to complete her vocational training (public affairs) which will take her about nine months. Our eldest son is in the Army. He is currently stationed in Baqubah, Iraq, which is northwest of Bagdhad, on the Tigris River.

It sounds like you have a wonderful family. Ten-year-old identical twin boys?! I'll bet they keep you on your toes. Congrats to your college freshman and new-Marine daughters. My prayers go with your eldest son in Iraq that he may come home safely to his family. Thanks again for starting this thread.

woot! purchases since 10/2006: a whole lotta wine, a few t-shirts, a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, and not one single Box Of Crackers.

Lilithe1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lilithe1

Great idea, Judy!

I'm fairly new to wine.woot.com, and I'm so glad to be here! I'm VERY new to wine and wine tasting, so I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. This site has been a great source of information, and hopefully, more friends!

I'm a 26 year old female living in Houston, TX. I grew up here, but I spent 8 years in Colorado before I came back home to Houston in 2003.

Like I said, I'm new to this, and also looking for a local wine class, so if anyone knows of any, I would greatly appreciate any information.

Happy wooting!

Lilithe

ashecorvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashecorvin

I agree that this is a great idea.

I am a 30 year old (31 in two months... oh boy *sigh*) male living in Chicago, IL. I work in IT supporting trading platforms for trading firms/financial institutions. I don't post too much on these forums but greatly enjoy reading the interaction between the winemakers and the community.

I first got into wine about 11 years ago but only really started enjoying them about 7 years ago. There are quite a few wine bars in my area and I love to visit them and partake in their flights selections. Usually friends and I will order a few flights before deciding on a bottle for the evening. It's a great way to get acquainted with a varietal, region, etc.

My hobbies include reading, food - glorious food, music, and pool. Lots of pool.
Most recent Wine consumed: 2001 Domaine de Chevalier on Saturday.
Most recent hardship: Breaking one of my favorite wineglasses, also on Saturday.

I look forward to reading more about you all!

Cheers,
Ashe Corvin

123 bottles and counting...

WineSnob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WineSnob

Hi all,
Yes, I like this idea as well! I don't know that I want to give out to much personal information, but I will tell you that I love wine and regularly take trips to the wine country in CA and WA. Haven't yet been to OR but I hear it's fabulous there as well. I received my Ty Caton, opened the Tytanium and thought it was vey good. Probably opened it a little early but I'm not one to age wine for to long as I am always anxious to try my new purchases! I have been wanting to host a wine tasting party and if any of you have any good ideas about hosting one I would love your suggestions, as well as the type of food I should serve.
Happy wooting. . .

JudyL1118

Hey! It really is nice getting to know everyone. I'll keep posting an invitation every few days, until enough people notice it. I'm glad you've all contributed. Part of the reason I love wine.woot is because of the caliber of the posters on the site. We seem to have a great time on here.

Judy

MiniBen1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MiniBen1

Great idea!

I'm 26 and live in Arizona (with my wife). I grew up East of San Francisco and have been surrounded by wine my whole life (so many great places like Napa, Livermore Valley, etc..). I moved down to So. Cal. for college and took frequent trips up the coast after I turned 21 for wine tasting. I loved this site the second I found it, but have not purchased my first wine.woot yet because I haven't seen any that ship to AZ, but I'll probably have some shipped to CA and pick them up because I take frequent trips there.

The wife and I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers and no kids (but we're working on that!). I'm in purchasing for a living and I watch a lot of TV and play World of Warcraft (yes, adults can still play video games). I just started mountain biking too and I'm enjoying the outside time. I can't wait until it gets warm enough here to get back in the pool! And... well... I don't know what else to say, so I'll end it here.

Let's agree to respect each other's opinions, no matter how wrong yours may be

cmfisher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmfisher

I guess I can add to this....sounds fun.

I'm a 24 yr old male. Originally from southern Indiana. Graduated from Purdue (north-ish Indiana) in May 05 and moved to Chicago. I work in the suburbs as an Electrical/Safety Engineer.

I got into wine in college actually. My childhood friend and college roommate's parents own a small vineyard and winery in our hometown. They started it while we were in college and received a lot of help from Purdue in starting it. We got to be good friends with Professor Vine (ironic name, right?) that taught the Wine Appreciation class at Purdue. I took the class with some friends and learned an amazing amount of detail about wine. We also had weekly (1 ounce) tastings of wine. It was a great experience that I decided to continue with....and here I am.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

VT MWM, 32, DINK, FTE (Software), unrelated BS ISO full-bodied BRW from the West Coast; one-night stand or long-term relationship? Whatever pops your cork! Must love cellars.

Sorry about that.

Translation:
IRL name is Erin. 32, Male, Married, living in Vermont (no kids). My day job is an Implementation Consultant in the Utility Software industry. My education is in Natural Resources with a Biology minor.

I've winded my way through the world of alchol, starting with Microbrews in college (Vermont has the highest microbrewery:resident ratio of any state), did homebrewing with my father for several years before finally getting going myself this past fall. I love dark stouts and hoppy IPAs.

In 2002, my family and I took a 2 week trip to Ireland & Scotland where I learned enough about Scotch to find something that I aquired a taste & appreciate for and have been hooked since. I typically have 12-15 bottles of single-malt at various stages of completion.

Over the past 10 years, I had started developing more of a taste for wine, but really wasn't ready to spend more than $12 or so on a bottle of wine, but also not really interested in drinking anything under $9 (unless it was on sale, of course). Every now and again I would pick up a $12-$18 bottle at Costco, but for the most part I'd buy a bottle here & a bottle there, usually having 6-10 bottles on hand. Towards the beginning of this period, a friend of mine was dating a girl who was 'in to wine' (or as much as a fresh-out-college girl can be in to wine) and we ended up going to an upstart Wine Bar quite a bit, buying lots of their 1oz samples of wines that we were waaaay out of our post-college price ranges.

It really wasn't until Wine.Woot launched that my interest started to pick up. I'm a cheap bastard by nature, so the notion of getting a 'woot deal' on the microbrew equivalent of Wine intrigued me. I've since worked to build up my knowledge and learn as much as I can about wine.

Now that we have a house with a basement, I've got the space to actually store wine (cellar is up to about 70 bottles now) and I'm hoping to be able to start buying 'futures' to start planning for the days when kiddies come and the 'wine budget' become the 'diaper budget.' At least with the futures on order, I'll have wine coming in for ~ 18 mos after the little one arrives!

Oh, and I tend to ramble when I write.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

j-o-h-n

quality posts: 4 Private Messages j-o-h-n

I'm 44 yr old male.
My wife (who woots but not posts) and I have two kids.
Our son is 13, our daughter is 1 (will be 2 this spring if it ever comes!)
I graduated as an Engineer and I am currently a software dude at Iowa State.

Higher prices AND crappier blanks, no thank you

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

Hi Judy
I see a lot of familiar names in here, thanks for the insights, Here is my 2 bits.

I'm 58, Male, live on the other side of the hill (Coloradoians term for the continental divide ) from Judy in Colorado's Wine and Peach country. My wife & I run our own business, and I have been making my own wine for 23 years. We recently (4 Years) purchased 11 acres in the local wine and peach area, and are building our own house and planting a vineyard. We have loved wine since our honeymoon in Ca North bay area in '83. I'm enjoying Wine.woot to learn some of the fine points of blending the different grapes, and types of grapes that I might want to plant. After all, can't just retire, plan on a winery in the future for my 4th career. Maybe I'll see you Judy in Sept, for the Colorado WIne Fest

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

Hello all. 28 year-old female in Dallas, but I also split time at my place in New Orleans. Currently in law school, so seeing a dramatic increase in my wine consumption as a result! Glad to meet everyone.

cathyk39

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cathyk39

Love this idea! I am a 47 yr old female, live in a very small, very rural town in Southern Indiana (where wine shipping laws are draconian) and work in a large metropolitan area in Kentucky (where wine shipping laws are even worse!). Married, two children, one still at home.

Have been drinking wine for many years and am a self-described "aficionado". I'm constantly on the look-out for good wine price in the $10 to $15 dollar range, seldom spend more than $20 on a bottle, so woot has been a wonderful find. I love talking about wine, learning about wine, and of course drinking it. I've made my own wine (from a kit), have done some volunteer labor in a local winery (harvesting, crushing, bottling) and like to promote the Indiana wine industry to anyone who will listen--there are some really good wines being made out here in the heartland. I love that woot allows me access (well, some weeks) to wines I cant find locally. The woot forums have been a wonderful way for me to learn more about wine and to share what I know with others.

Looking forward to getting to know more folks! Thanks, Judy, for getting this started.

"A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine, except that on a day without sunshine you can still get drunk."
~~ Lee Entrekin

CotatiCorner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CotatiCorner

Hello to my new wine friends.
Let's see where to start... I am female and live with my family in Sonoma County CA.

Probably the most interesting thing about me is that I own a wine store. We specialize in small production Sonoma County Wines. It's absolutely so much fun. I regularly work with winemakers and winery owners tasting their wonderful boutique wines. My husband and I both love wine, he is also in the wine business working for a large winery in Napa. Needless to say between the two of us we are always buying wine and enjoying wine with friends and family.

Cheers!

For Sonoma County's Finest Wines and Gifts, Visit Cotati Corner!

meyer22

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meyer22

Alright so I guess Ill add my riveting wine/life story to the mix...

Im a 29 year old married man from the currently frozen tundra of Michigan. My wife and I live in one of the Suburbs of Detroit. I got the wine bug from my parents. My mom started the family down the slippery grape slope when she spent a year abroad as an exchange student (High School) in the 60's. Its said she came off the boat with a bottle of french red under each arm and the family has never been the same since. So I guess I was drinking wine (small glasses mind you) since I was 12-13. I got my wife hooked while we were dating.

We are both primarily Red Wine drinkers and lean heavily towards Zins, Barberas, robust Italians (Amarone, Barolo, Barbarescos, etc), and when we can afford it a French St. Emilion. We do occasionally drink white and tend to shy away from anything too sweet, we stick with French Pouillly Fuisse, or a Sauvignon Blanc / French Sancerre. (I apologize if I butchered the spelling of anything above)

My cellar is not very large, Ive recently started adding it to CellarTracker. We took almost 2 years off of adding to the cellar while my wife was pregnant with our daughter and then while she was breastfeeding. The wine budget just wasnt there and the wife didnt want me to be tempted to drink the good stuff without her

Happily the wine flows again and Im now trying to restock the cellar. We have made trips to Sonoma in the past and are hoping to go again this Summer. My wife and I have often said that we spend far too much of our disposable income on wine and good food. I love to cook, and I love to drink wine while I cook and eat.

Im glad to have found wine.woot and I look forward to the friends and wine knowledge it will bring my way. Happy drinking everyone...

meyer22

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Wow...

I can actually add a comment now. For some reason, my puter wasn't allowing that.

I'm Laura. 47 yr old recently married for the first time. My husband is Joel, and is a beer snob. If anyone knows of a way to get him drinking a bit of wine, I would appreciate it. We live in Chicago, on the northwest side. I am one of those stable people. I live in the house I grew up in and except for about 5 yrs, I have always been here.

I am a neonatal intensive care nurse. Have been for a verrrrrrrrrry long time now. Love the job and what I do. My husband is a cook by default. Not very high end and currently works in a bar with a cool beer menu and some great burgers. (see www.kumascorner.com if you are in the area)

I've always liked wine and thought I was o so very sophisticated drinking white zin as a young 20 something. My everyday wine preferences would be Sauvignon Blanc in the summer and Cabs in the winter. My wine epiphany came a few years ago. Like many people I was wondering how on earth a bottle of wine could be worth... 100 or 150 or how many ever dollars a bottle. UNTIL... I was out for dinner with friends and the guys insisted on ordering a Stag's Leap 97 Cab. Oh my.

I love wine woot and the service they have. A co worker turned me on to the site.
I also enjoy seeing so many of what my fellow, more learned wine wooters have to say.

Cheers....

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

JudyL1118

danncer wrote:
Great idea, Judy! I've been too intimidated to post much on the wine.woot forums, but I've been lurking for quite some time.

I'm sure none of us want you to feel intimidated. Since I've been here, I've only noticed a few people get shot down on the posts....and not one of them was from someone posting to say "hi!" - Self proclaimed "Better Than The Rest of You", rude, and obviously spamming the website to steer Wooters to another site seem to be the big no-no's.

Post away! I've enjoyed reading all your comments, and missed seeing you on the board last week.

kevo152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevo152

29 year old male named Kevin. Lived in Texas most of my life but now I'm in the San Francisco bay area. I work for the "largest software manufacturer in the world" otherwise known as "Satan". I have been drinking wine for more years than I wave been legally aged to do so. My tastes have evolved over the years and I no longer drink MD 20/20 or Boone's farm wine, but I still might drink them on a bet... or maybe not.

donbon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donbon

Another Texas guy, Houston here. 26, single, decently emplyed engineer involved with the offshore oil&gas industry. (And yes -- I passed on the sierra chard). Not really sure what else to say, as there is still quite a bit in my life yet to experience.

I'm looking forward to the hot summer again when we get upgraded fast shipping from wine woot ;)

fermentedwisdom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fermentedwisdom

Hi Judy,

Thanks for starting the thread -- it's an excellent idea. I'm a 31 year old male, living in Columbus, OH with my wife. No kids yet, but the first is due in about a month (which is significantly hampering my winewoot budget). I've made several batches of wine with a friend who hopes to open a vineyard someday, so that's what first got me interested in wine. I'm enjoy virtually all wines, but tend to enjoy drier wines much better than sweeter.

Thanks again,

Jim

LurkerDan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LurkerDan
WineWootaholic wrote: Hi Judy
I see a lot of familiar names in here, thanks for the insights, Here is my 2 bits.

I'm 58, Male, live on the other side of the hill (Coloradoians term for the continental divide ) from Judy in Colorado's Wine and Peach country. My wife & I run our own business, and I have been making my own wine for23 years. We recently (4 Years) purchased 11 acres in the local wine and peach area, and are building our own house and planting a vineyard. We have loved wine since our honeymoon in Ca North bay area in '83. I'm enjoying Wine.woot to learn some of the fine points of blending the different grapes, and types of grapes that I might want to plant. After all, can't just retire, plan on a winery in the future for my 4th career. Maybe I'll see you Judy in Sept, for the Colorado WIne Fest

The Colorado Wine Fest is a blast! I live in Boulder, made it out there for it a couple of years ago. Hope to return sometime soon. Wine and peach country, I like that. Beautiful stuff out there...

grimor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages grimor

I'm 29, male in Indiana (one of the the wine.woot forgotten states)

I work as a Database/Web admin and am also in the USAF Reserves. Have a few kids, couple cars, house and not enough money lol. I collect Arcade games and now I guess I collect wine too. I tend to give away as many bottles of wine as I drink, but I blame woot for that since I only have a small wine cooler that holds 12 bottles, when you get 3-4 at a time you run out of room fast.

I'm just starting out as far as wine goes. I was stocking my bar and got a couple of bottles from woot, and since I check the regular woot every day anyway I follow the conversations here. Seems like there hasn't been a bad wine woot yet, I only save money when it won't ship to IN :-)

Woots: 121 Items: 236-2 Last Woot: 05/07/2012 Woot Wage: $4,559.41

WineSnob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WineSnob

Love all the comments! I feel more comfortable telling you all little more about myself. I am a 43 (soon to be 44) lovely women! Although my boyfriend thinks I drink to much wine, I believe it's the cure-all for everything. We live in a small town east of Seattle. We have been to Sonoma/Napa many times and I belong to the Viansa Wine Club (any chance of getting a woot deal from there?) Love touring all the wineries. We have also done the Eastern Washington Wine tour and if you have never done it you should! My family always teases me that I say I know more about good wine than I really do. For instance during one of our family cruises, they switched my very good and expensive glass of wine with a the cheap house wine, laughed at me throughout dinner, then finally asked me how the wine was. I told them it was very good. Laughed louder and harder, finally told me what they had done! Jokesters they all are, the joke was on them as the "cheap house" wine was a 2002 Reserve Cab from Chateau Ste. Michelle! Who knows more about wine now?! Honestly I don't know much so this site is great for learning from a lot of different perspectives.
Hope to chat again soon. Glass raised!

andrewma

quality posts: 4 Private Messages andrewma

An avid wine wooter in AUSTIN, TX who would love to meet other Austin based wino's I was a UT finance grad who just HAD to move back after 12 years away.

Moved from the DC area to Austin last year and am expecting a new kid in July so we're excited. Wife works at a battered women's shelter and I run/manage a small money management firm. Her being prego prevents us from really enjoying the wine I buy. I tend to have obsessive compulsive problems with shopping so our house is full of stuff. For a young couple, we have more than most families with 3 kids. Sad to say, our moving company really socked it to us for the move from DC to TX. Can we say 25K lbs of stuff? And that's after I donated/threw away 20 APC UPS's!!!!

Started building a wine collection last year by buying a small 60 bottle collection from someone who moved to France. Now less than a year later, the wine fridge is almost completely full. Tribute to woot wine here...

<A HREF="http://public.fotki.com/andrewma/austin_texas/westslope_house/woot-wine"> Link to my wine 'woot' wine fridges!! </A> ok...so it seems html text doesn't work...oh well. cut and paste baby...

http://public.fotki.com/andrewma/austin_texas/westslope_house/woot-wine/

I enjoy a variety of reds, but typically very rich and intense reds. I'm not terribly fond of huge tannins, and not too fond of very dry fruitless reds. I do enjoy a lot of differing whites now that I've discovered 'quality' whites and am trying to grow a good collection of white bordeaux and white burgundies. I am a budget person by nature, but am prone to being spendy on things that I love, so my wines tend to vary greatly in price from $10 all the way to $180. The average/mean is probably $40/bottle but the median is probably more around $30 with the outliers on the extreme top skewing the mean...

I'm in the midst of thinking how to build a custom cellar. i already have a large room dedicated to that, BUT the problem is that the room in question may be too large and should be directed for another purpose. Another ideal room requires a bit of cinderblock, rebar, and concrete demolition, finish out, and electrical runs.

I try not to woot during summer as the 95-105 temps are killer for wines.

I'd love to see some custom wine cellars and what other folks have done for insulation etc...

I also enjoy astronomy (a minor in this), computers (i'm a closet geek, fully networked house with approx 2.5 terrabytes of RAID 5 storage for movies, and yes, i BOUGHT the movies, having over 500 dvd's. my buddy owns a pawnshop, what can i say?). oh...did i mention i like wine? I'm also an avid photographer who used to do it professionally and owned a small photography business on the side. I shoot Canon. All you nikon folks get the monkeyprize :-)

If anyone ever finds themselves in the Austin area, i'd love to get together and share some wine. I hate drinking alone....

Kan pei- or Gan Bei, meanings 'empty cup' or 'bottoms up'....

dnarayanan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnarayanan

well after the last few sentences of andrewma's, i guess i ought to throw my own in.

i'm a grad student in astronomy in tucson, do alot of supercomputing and love computers, and love austin and try to visit my friends there a few times a year! wierd huh. oh and i *almost* went to UT austin for grad school, and it came down to the wire in choosing.

i'm 26, a guy no wife no kids still rent, make barely enough to support my wine habit but saving is for suckers.

oh, and i'm gonna leave the warm wine-challanged state of arizona for the cold wine-challanged state of massachusetts soon enough.

i got into wine a few years ago mostly through its association with enjoyable long lazy dinners, and through wine.woot have started really liking wine just by itself as well. i've been to napa a few times and think its pretty neat, but consider myself a real novice when it comes to this stuff. my favorite way to drink wine is sitting on the floor around my coffee table with my friends when they come over. i also really like beer and am getting more and more into scotch as well.

i rarely have enough money to get the wines offered, but when i do i like them alot.

thesis schmesis

last wootage: poizin

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

It's probably no secret, I'm a huge fan of Wine.Woot and WCC. About 10 years ago just after college I found a wine that was awesome. I can't even remember what it was, but just know that it was peppery and had an awesome flavor. It went extremely well with a steak and a cigar as I recall.

Anyway, the local grocery store stopped carrying it and I started trying other wines. Sadly, I poured way too much wine and ultimately just stopped trying new stuff because everything I tried sucked. Ultimately I made my way to Gin & Tonic and was stuck there for quite a while.

Over the last two years I had been trying to find some good wines off and on, but really wasn't that successful. Found Wine.Woot with the Mosaic offering and fell in love with the site. I've been pretty addicted to reading the forums, even when I wasn't interested in the wine. It's been a lot of fun, but more importantly, I've found some awesome wines and have really improved my understanding of wines. That being said, I still consider myself a newbie.

In my daily life I'm a DBA...Well, a DBA and manage a team of DBAs. I live in central Virginia and have two amazing daughters aged 2.5 and 4. I'm actually going through a divorce, if I'm being honest, so things are a little crazy for me right now. I guess in some ways wine has given me something to focus on....

Oh, and for those astronomers...Several years ago I built a 12" Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount. Sold it, though, cuz it was just too huge to use. Hoping to afford a nice Cassegrain a little later in life. I am also into photography and shoot with a Canon 20D with some nice L glass. Man it's amazing what nice glass can do for you.

I guess that's probably enough information...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

brinkmann0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brinkmann0

Well, now I have to post here. I'm in Houston, Texas - and I tell myself that I am stocking up now during the "winter", so I don't have to order from wine.woot when it is 100 degrees here in the summer. Or at least that is the plan. I'll let you know how that goes. ("winter" is in quotes because it doesn't actually freeze here - it just goes down into the 40's and then I have to remember what I did with my coat and see if the heater actually works.)

I took a wine tasting class in college and have been hooked ever since. Unfortunately during college and grad school I didn't exactly have the means to enjoy nice(er) wine. ("wine"? who am I kidding - it was shiner, pearl and lone star for me...)

I am a computer engineer (I know - surprising, right?) - and I must say, andrewma has me beat... I only have 1.7TB of RAID5 storage here at home, on a gigabit network. (the house came wired for phone and 100baseT. phone? WTF is that? fixed that soon enough and now gigabit ethernet reigns supreme.) I haven't ripped any DVDs up to the server, but it does grab shows off of the TiVo and keeps them around until I have time to watch. Which is usually never. But it's the thought that counts.

And I do have a rather large liquor store (sorry, "Liquor Warehouse") nearby - but I have really enjoyed getting to try new things thanks to wine.woot that I wouldn't otherwise be able to find locally.

Nice meeting y'all - Cheers!

egigi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egigi

Great idea Judy!! I discovered wine.woot just a few months ago, when the sparklers appeared, and I was hooked. Part of the appeal of this site is definitely the blog. When reading the blog, I would often wonder where some of the contributors were from or what their stories were, and now I see I was not alone.

I live in Chicago, with a wonderful husband and a delightful 5 year old daughter. I am a lawyer and while I have enjoyed wine for years, I have enjoyed it rather casually, not knowing much about what I was drinking or why I liked it. I think it is really fascinating the snowball effect of this site - i.e., you find it somehow, you see an offering you like, you get curious and peek at the blog, you find interesting commentary and information on the blog (unlike soooooo many blogs where you find mostly drivel or idiotic arguments etc, like for example regular woot), so then you keep checking in and the next thing you know you are trying wines you probably would not have considered in another context.

So like many of you , I am having fun with the whole winewoot community and am really enjoying this fun and easy way to learn more about wine, and now, thanks to Judy, my fellow woot winos .

I think the Chicago-land contingent should definitely plan a gathering, maybe in the summertime when we all crawl out of hibernation. I'm in Lincoln Park with a lovely rooftop deck, I could host if folks are interested.

Cheers!!

andrewma

quality posts: 4 Private Messages andrewma
brinkmann0 wrote:Well, now I have to post here. I'm in Houston, Texas - ... it just goes down into the 40's and then I have to remember what I did with my coat and see if the heater actually works.)

I am a computer engineer (I know - surprising, right?) - and I must say, andrewma has me beat... I only have 1.7TB of RAID5 storage here at home, on a gigabit network.

If I'm ever in Houston, I'll bring a bottle down to at least meet up and say hello. My last 500 SATA drive just showed up so I can finally get my 8 drive promise sata arry up. another 3gb online now. now if they only made a system that would spin down a raid array for home use so it wouldn't suck so much power!!! any ideas?

Hey, VAACCESS. I wish I knew you wanted a scope. I donated a 6" nexstar 6 when I moved from DC to TX. I kept the old 8" XLT as i like the old fashioned way of finding things :-) my wife would've been more than happy to sell any of them to you for a seriously discounted price. movers charged me a ridiculous $300 to pack/crate the 8"....

btw. my personal email is bearishone 'at' yahoo.com if anyone wants to chat up astronomy, wine, and computer geek talk :-).

ChampagneHo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChampagneHo

Ok, I'll join in too. I'm 46/F in south Florida - a native Floridian. I'm in a committed relationship, no kids of my own (although I consider my SO's son a step son), and 2 cats.

I first was interested in wine when I visited Napa and Sonoma back in 1986. I didn't do much with it as I was more into cooking at the time but the wine was a fun find. Throughout the 80's I found myself more interested and my SO (at that time) and I started to learn and experiment more.

Then the divorce, breakups, career issues, blah blah blah... wine kind of fell by the wayside. I still liked certain wines and knew that I'd never buy crap again. I visited SF, Sonoma and Napa 3 more times continuing my love affair with wine and food, but never really doing much with it at home.

Then I went on a cruise with my mom last year and attended a wine and food pairing seminar. It was great fun and it finally lit a fire under my butt to start really cooking and drinking again. :D So now I know much more than I used to, trying to pair things, and trying new wines and champagne.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

I gotta tell ya, This is a really cool idea and am truly enjoying reading every entry.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

My name is Bubba, I live in a maximum security prison on the west cost, and I love learning about personal information about people online.

Heh, just kidding. But seriously, you wine.woot people are a lot more trusting. than the normal .woot people.

Still single, can't imagine why.

brinkmann0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brinkmann0
FenStar wrote:Heh, just kidding. But seriously, you wine.woot people are a lot more trusting. than the normal .woot people.

Based on some of the posts I saw over there during the woot-off, I question the use of the word "normal."

smilingjack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smilingjack

You mean all you had to do was ask? Do you have any idea how long it took us to find that stuff out over on woot?

Well, OK,
I'm a female in my 50's. Married forever, live in the NYC area. Two kids, girl 23, just out of college working as a journalist in New England. Son in college, changing his major every few hours! Well, so far every semester.
This is not my normal screen name, I've been around woot for almost two years now.

So Fenstar, do you know who I am yet?

I hope you guys have as much fun over here on winewoot as we have on woot! I've made some really good friends there. Hope you do the same over here!

Enjoy your wine and new friendships!

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic
Winedavid39 wrote:I gotta tell ya, This is a really cool idea and am truly enjoying reading every entry.

Well then....
Age?, (male we know), Family?, How did you get interested in Wine? Woot? WineWoot?
And of course that wine cellar....

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

egigi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egigi
WineWootaholic wrote:
Well then....
Age?, (male we know), Family?, How did you get interested in Wine? Woot? WineWoot?
And of course that wine cellar....

My thoughts exactly. Come on now winedavid, after all, you are our fearless leader.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Hey all. I’m one of those guys that started out with regular Woot but then made the transition to Wine.woot. I still buy from regular Woot but I rarely post there. There’s just no sense of community like we seem to be getting here. But then again chances are pretty good that we’re all drunk from our latest wine shipment during any given post so maybe we just seem friendlier than we really are.

As for my background, I’m a recently divorced guy in his later 30’s (read that as nearly 40) living in the OC part of Southern California. Historically I’ve been a beer guy and would usually only buy wine when it seemed like a good bargain (read that as 2 Buck Chuck). Wine.woot has changed all that though. I still feel weird spending $15 a bottle when it’s usually just me drinking the wine on my own but I’ve really been introduced to some great wines during all this. I’m not ready to jump into the over $20 bottle range (although I did get the Saxon Brown) but the average price of my wines in my little wine fridge has been steadily climbing. I’m still waiting for that one great wine though. The life changer. The one that knocks your socks off. The one that makes you say “Oh…so THAT’s what they meant”. The search continues.

For the record, divorced guy sitting in front of large screen TV drinking six pack of beer alone…sad. Divorced guy sitting in front of large screen TV drinking wine from woot alone…connoisseur!!!

This place has been a blast and I love all of the awesome feedback each and every week. Hopefully we keep building this place up into a great place to hang our cyber hats and hopefully woot is making a profit so we keep this train rolling for as long as possible.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

millsp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages millsp

I'll chime in as well. 36 soon to be 37 male married DINK and I live in South Florida just outside of Fort Lauderdale. I am very new to wine less than 4 years. My wife and i traveled to Italy for our honeymoon a few years ago and I found myself drinking nothing but red wine. Prior to that I wouldn't touch the stuff. Last year we visited Sonoma county and since then my addiction has blossomed. I now have close to 200 bottles. I enjoy Wine.woot very much and I also buy from some other sites but I have to say Woot is my favorite next would be the wine library. I work as an Engineer for a national wireless carrier. I look forward to reading more about you all and keep on Wooting!.