bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
liverman wrote:Wow that's a nice compliment. I drank a lot of German wine when I lived in Germany many years ago. I have little access to good German wines where I live now. ;-)

I am so glad to have friends there and my wife that makes trips there occasionally. If you live around Albuquerque, let me know and I will have one of my people bring you back a bottle of your choice when they come my way.

Unfortunately it is a 1L limit coming into the states. I do not know what the tax is on additional bottles.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
sukeiasa wrote:cheval de andes 2001 on wtso...
haven't seen a wine with such high marks on ct for sale in a while...

Wouldn't mind a couple, but can't justify four for FS. SoCal split?

CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
rjquillin wrote:Wouldn't mind a couple, but can't justify four for FS. SoCal split?

Cheval des Andes 2001 Mendoza is on Lastbottle now for $39 (free s/h with 4+)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
bkarlan wrote:
Unfortunately it is a 1L limit coming into the states. I do not know what the tax is on additional bottles.

A number of times when returning from Europe I've both cabin carried and luggage checked bottles and have yet to incur any substantial duty. Three or four bottles just seem pass with little or any notice. A few years ago, pre 9/11, I brought back 18 bottles and don't recall the charge, if any, as it was quite nominal.

CT

bkarlan

rjquillin wrote:A number of times when returning from Europe I've both cabin carried and luggage checked bottles and have yet to incur any substantial duty. Three or four bottles just seem pass with little or any notice. A few years ago, pre 9/11, I brought back 18 bottles and don't recall the charge, if any, as it was quite nominal.

I need to call my buddy up. He brought home 2 cases from New Zealand a couple of years ago. I forgot what he said the customs charge on it was.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Home Depot has another deal on a bottle cooler, this time a 12. Use code SPRINGBF and it will be $58 plus tax and free shipping.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Home Depot has another deal on a bottle cooler, this time a 12. Use code SPRINGBF and it will be $58 plus tax and free shipping.

I absolutely need one of those for upstairs.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

Invino has the 2008 Scott Harvey 1869 Vineyard zin for $28.99. Along with a $7.99 Barone Fini Pinot Grigio.

Regards,

Greg

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
liverman wrote:Invino has the 2008 Scott Harvey 1869 Vineyard zin for $28.99. Along with a $7.99 Barone Fini Pinot Grigio.

The 1869 was mentioned a few days ago. I still refuse to purchase it because they inflated the retail price to $50 just so their "savings" looked better.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
kylemittskus wrote:Home Depot has another deal on a bottle cooler, this time a 12. Use code SPRINGBF and it will be $58 plus tax and free shipping.

Darn, was about to pick this up for my girlfriend, but I just realized it's out of stock.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
redwinefan wrote:Darn, was about to pick this up for my girlfriend, but I just realized it's out of stock.

I picked one of these up on their last sale. It took them a couple of tries, as UPS sucks so bad shipping heavy items, the first one was destroyed.

For the price it's good, although I'm not a big fan of the thermoelectric coolers due to their high failure rate, but for the price, what the heck, it's only holding four bottles of Jana Cathedral, along with other better Napa cabs

bsevern

I'm going to Europe in May (CZ and GR), so I checked the TSA regulations for bringing back alcohol:

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

Now customs will be a different thing, and being that TSA doesn't regulate incoming flights, I'm not sure if these rules apply at all?

North316

Last Bottle has Moon Mountain up again:

Moon Mountain 2007
Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve
$22 per, FS with purchase of 6

My CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Gilttaste.com has 5 cent shipping until next Thursday. I have not bought anything from them. Any comments from this group about them?

bkarlan

bsevern wrote:I'm going to Europe in May (CZ and GR), so I checked the TSA regulations for bringing back alcohol:

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

Now customs will be a different thing, and being that TSA doesn't regulate incoming flights, I'm not sure if these rules apply at all?

1 liter per adult over 21 free, you can bring more but you might be expected to pay taxes on it.

Here is the link from the US Customs and Border Patrol.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/alcohol%20allowance/session/L3NpZC9CZjV5R1dVaw%3D%3D

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
jmdavidson wrote:Gilttaste.com has 5 cent shipping until next Thursday. I have not bought anything from them. Any comments from this group about them?

Great wines, prices aren't a great deal, but fair. Shipping was always prohibitive.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

bsevern

Well this is interesting...got this email from Last Bottle this am:

Hi There-

We just wanted to let you know that when we were packing your order(s) from the Moving marathon we came up short on the following for you. You have been refunded and we are very sorry for any inconvenience. We threw in a few goodies to make it up to you and also since we were short on so many wines for you we would also like to extend a $10 store credit to you as an apology. This has already been added to your account. Thank you very much for your order(s) and our sincerest apologies.

-1 bottle Pillar Rock CS SLD 1999
-1 bottle Pillar Rock CS SLD 2004
-1 bottle White Cottage 1995 Sangiovese

Cheers,
Coral

Very odd. I could maybe see one bottle for some odd reason, but three, and two killer cabs....wonder what the reason is? Maybe something to do with all server issues they had.

North316

bsevern wrote:Well this is interesting...got this email from Last Bottle this am:

Hi There-

We just wanted to let you know that when we were packing your order(s) from the Moving marathon we came up short on the following for you. You have been refunded and we are very sorry for any inconvenience. We threw in a few goodies to make it up to you and also since we were short on so many wines for you we would also like to extend a $10 store credit to you as an apology. This has already been added to your account. Thank you very much for your order(s) and our sincerest apologies.

Cheers,
Coral

Very odd. I could maybe see one bottle for some odd reason, but three, and two killer cabs....wonder what the reason is? Maybe something to do with all server issues they had.

Their website probably just isn't equipped well enough to handle that many simultaneous orders and still accurately track quantity in stock. Bummer on your part. You'll have to let us know know what the goodies they tossed in were.

My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
bsevern wrote:Well this is interesting...got this email from Last Bottle this am:

Hi There-

Cheers,
Coral

They were short on a 2003 Chateau Greysac for me. No shiny $10 coin though. Sorry you missed out on those cabs.

Did you receive the 1L Gazzi Pinot yet?

trifecta

2008 Dutch Bill RRV Pinot (Heintz). $15. Free shipping on 6.

This is piquing my interest because I have really enjoyed other Pinot's from the RRV sub Green Valley AVA. Anyone have any experience with this winery? Scant CT notes.

bsevern

trifecta wrote:They were short on a 2003 Chateau Greysac for me. No shiny $10 coin though. Sorry you missed out on those cabs.

Did you receive the 1L Gazzi Pinot yet?

Hey! Yep I have the 1L Gazzi Pinots, I'll bring one to work for you.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:2008 Dutch Bill RRV Pinot (Heintz). $15. Free shipping on 6.

This is piquing my interest because I have really enjoyed other Pinot's from the RRV sub Green Valley AVA. Anyone have any experience with this winery? Scant CT notes.

Oh, that's a Green Valley PN? Now I may have to consider it. Damn.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta

klezman wrote:Oh, that's a Green Valley PN? Now I may have to consider it. Damn.

I would take a flyer on a couple bottles if others want to split.

EDIT: I know I'm an enabler....

bsevern

trifecta wrote:I would take a flyer on a couple bottles if others want to split.

EDIT: I know I'm an enabler....

If you want to order, I would take a couple

trifecta

bsevern wrote:If you want to order, I would take a couple

Klez, you in for 2?

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:Klez, you in for 2?

Not sure...it sounds up my alley for PN, but I am inherently suspicious of RRV. Not to mention I'm now in SoCal, and much of my Bay Area stays will be in the city. But I'm still tempted. Hmmm....

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Talking of which, reminded by "mother"'s catastrophe, if anyone wants a half-case of 03 Corison napa cab (well-kept) at woot's prices (plus shipping). I think given my large cellar reserves of it I can happily offload it and spread the love.

wnance

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wnance
richardhod wrote:Talking of which, reminded by "mother"'s catastrophe, if anyone wants a half-case of 03 Corison napa cab (well-kept) at woot's prices (plus shipping). I think given my large cellar reserves of it I can happily offload it and spread the love.

Sent you a pm

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

B Cellars '09 Bodacious Oakville Napa Cab for 21.99. Kirk Venge is the winemaker. Free shipping with only 3. Tempted. Anyone know anything about this?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
ddeuddeg wrote:B Cellars '09 Bodacious Oakville Napa Cab for 21.99. Kirk Venge is the winemaker. Free shipping with only 3. Tempted. Anyone know anything about this?

CT reviewers rip it pretty good.

bkarlan

Got to input a new wine into cellartracker today. I searched and searched and couldn't find it. Naked winery booty call.

Now I just need to input the other 90% of the cellar

Also finished off a bottle of sake tonight. It was.... Ehhhh. Not nearly as good as good as the previous bottle I had.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
jmdavidson wrote:CT reviewers rip it pretty good.

No longer tempted. Thanks.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bkarlan

jmdavidson wrote:CT reviewers rip it pretty good.

That's what I dislike about the ratings on CT and other sites. An 85 is not a great grade, however it is not terrible either. When you read the reviews they seem really bad, but then the reviewer gave it an 84. An 84 = good. If it was as bad as your review was stating, give it an 80 or lower.

I just wish people would rate things that were as consistant as their reviews were stating it was. Maybe it is just me.

bsevern

Got my Last Bottle shipment today from their Mega Madness sale last week. In addition to the shorted bottles Coral notified me of, it was also short 3 bottles of 2007 Château Paradis Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Terre des Anges. Hmmmm.

In their defense, these are the freebies they sent me for the shorted bottles:

2004 Jade Mountain Syrah Paras Vineyard - not bad, looks to be a $40 bottle online.

2008 Marquis Philips Riesling 44 - reviews are interesting, looks to be a $20 bottle online.

2007 San Clodio Ribeiro Blanco - Spanish white wine with an interesting mix of 67% treixadura, 15% Godello, 12% Torrontes 5% Loureira, and 1% Albarino, three more varietals to add to my 100 Club! Good reviews, another $20 bottle.

2008 Bodegas Aldial Rueda Castillo De Nava - Sauvignon Blanc from Spain. Rated: 88 by Josh Raynolds Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar, looks like a $10 bottle.

I missed all the high end Bourgogne (I wasn't fast enough) and they shorted me on the two high end bottles of Napa cabs that I was able to get....such is life.

Hi There-

Cheers,
Coral

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Cameron Hughes is doing 15% off all sampler packs right now. These include free shipping, so there are some decent deals.

I picked up the Bubbly pack which includes:

From France:
Brut Rose
Blanc de Blanc

From Italy:
2011 Moscato D'Asti

Came to $23.80 + whatever sales tax you are charged in your state if applicable.

Use coupon code SAMPLER

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bsevern

Very tempted by the Oriel Wines Jocunda Gigondas 2005 By Louis Barruol GSM Rhone blend. Looks to be simply relabeled by Oriel (which I believe they do).

Any thoughts on this for $16.99?

Thanks!
Brian

merryberry

quality posts: 10 Private Messages merryberry

woot and rpm tour favorite Iron Horse is coming to Rue La La this Wednesday with Sparklers, Pinot Noirs, and Chardonnays.

PM if you'd like an invite code.

My Cellar in CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bsevern wrote:Very tempted by the Oriel Wines Jocunda Gigondas 2005 By Louis Barruol GSM Rhone blend. Looks to be simply relabeled by Oriel (which I believe they do).

Any thoughts on this for $16.99?

Thanks!
Brian

05 was good year in the S. Rhone. And I love Gig in general. $17 doesn't sound like a crazy price, but certainly a fair price. I have no insight into that specific wine, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bsevern

kylemittskus wrote:05 was good year in the S. Rhone. And I love Gig in general. $17 doesn't sound like a crazy price, but certainly a fair price. I have no insight into that specific wine, though.

Thanks Kyle. I pulled the trigger on four bottles, didn't figure I'd get too hurt for $17/bottle.

Happy to share a bottle or two.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
bsevern wrote:Thanks Kyle. I pulled the trigger on four bottles, didn't figure I'd get too hurt for $17/bottle.

Happy to share a bottle or two.

I'd be happy to take one too, if that ended up working

Merryberry good spot on the IH!