ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
klezman wrote:Nice!

Any word on dinner with Scott? I had a request for some Zachary's pizza if we'll be back by the Bay for dinner.

Good choice! Trifecta, his girlfriend and I just got back from lunch at Zachary's

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Nice!

Any word on dinner with Scott? I had a request for some Zachary's pizza if we'll be back by the Bay for dinner.

Unsure. Jana has to get ready for a flight the next day. We'll play it by ear.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Just booted the last hanger on out ... Now to finish cleaning so I can get on the road close to 8:30. Want to be at Vincent Arroyo close to 10am.

Fun was had by all. Too many wines to enumerate, although we did skip the Bogle PS Port (since they had it at D&D). WineDavid and WineFarm both dropped by, and brought a special guest, Nemetic by.

Viva PetiteSirah!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Need to finish cleaning up, so I can get on the road by 8:30am. Hah!

10:00 at Vincent Arroyo

12:00 at Biale

1:00 at Corison

2:30 (or so) at Kent's (hopefully)

4:00 at David Fulton (across from Scott Harvey) Old Vine PS for the win!

so around 5:00 at Scott Harvey's!

joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious
MarkDaSpark wrote:Need to finish cleaning up, so I can get on the road by 8:30am. Hah!

10:00 at Vincent Arroyo

12:00 at Biale

1:00 at Corison

2:30 (or so) at Kent's (hopefully)

4:00 at David Fulton (across from Scott Harvey) Old Vine PS for the win!

so around 5:00 at Scott Harvey's!

Wish I could join y'all today! Have an awesome time! Looking forward to tomorrow...

MarkDaSpark

It's too fricking early!

Almost ready to head down to check out and hit the road. Almost. Buncha darn wineaux!

MarkDaSpark

joannevicious wrote:Wish I could join y'all today! Have an awesome time! Looking forward to tomorrow...

Speaking of tomorrow. Did someone try talking to Preston again about us being Wine.Wooters?

Any suggestions for somewhere to go between our start at Ridge at 11 and Hawley?

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:Speaking of tomorrow. Did someone try talking to Preston again about us being Wine.Wooters?

Any suggestions for somewhere to go between our start at Ridge at 11 and Hawley?

Mounts Family would be a really cool stop, also Kokomo...Meeker's tasting room is in Geyserville - about 5 minutes north of Ridge.

WineDavid was my Boss!

sledged

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sledged

Great time last night! Thanks for all who stopped by and tried our 2009 Aratas! Mike

MarkDaSpark

Not going to Biale ... too far to to go back down & back up to Corison. So we'll probably visit Zahtila, then lunch and still make Corison @ 1.

Edit:

Corison Kronos Vineyard off top porch. While drinking Kronos Cab.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, I need to know who will be going to Concannon on Monday (meet there at 11:00 am). We will get a behind the scenes tour, and some great pricing.

Need to know by 1 pm Sunday the latest.

We can decide if we are going to other wineries (Wente, etc.) on Monday during the festivities tomorrow.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, Sunday Schedule ...

Ridge at 11

Mettler after that

Then Hawley

Then Wellington by 4pm followed by Ty Caton.

Dinner in Glen Ellen at The Fig Cafe.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So Sparky, you gonna list for us all the pretty things you won in the auction? Inquiring minds want to know what you got.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, Sunday Schedule ...

Ridge at 11

Mettler after that

Then Hawley

Then Wellington by 4pm followed by Ty Caton.

Dinner in Glen Ellen at The Fig Cafe.

Woke up sick. Don't get to go to Sonoma

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

In Windsor having breakfast. On track for Ridge at 11.

MarkDaSpark

joannevicious wrote:Woke up sick. Don't get to go to Sonoma

MarkDaSpark

To start the day ....

Ridge-Lytton Springs Tasting room .... Old Vines in front of it.

and to end it ....

Buttermilk Panna Cotta w/ Huckleberry Coulis & biscotti @ The Fig Cafe in Glen Ellen

Nom, nom, nom!

MarkDaSpark

Okay, tomorrow is Concannon at 11:00 am. Don't be late!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, tomorrow is Concannon at 11:00 am. Don't be late!

Hope they break out some library wines for you guys!

I sure enjoyed the Concannon rep at D&D

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707

Sorry I missed you guys this weekend Sounds like you had a great time.

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

Great seeing many of you at D and D on Friday night! Sorry I wasn't able to join the group in the post-event festivities or the rest of the weekend - poured at the SF Chron Wine Comp Tasting on Saturday in SF . . .

I just wanted to let all of you know that if you were interested in the tercero woot-off deal but were unable to pull the trigger because you were traveling, send me an email at larry@tercerowines.com and I'll see what I can do to put something together for you (-:

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

MarkDaSpark

bsevern wrote:Hope they break out some library wines for you guys!

I sure enjoyed the Concannon rep at D&D

They did! And a new surprise coming up (non PS) this year, IIRC.

I even remembered to buy a PS Chocolate Syrup for Cheron. Even though I wanted one, and they only had one left. Too bad it broke on the way down.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:They did! And a new surprise coming up (non PS) this year, IIRC.

I even remembered to buy a PS Chocolate Syrup for Cheron. Even though I wanted one, and they only had one left. Too bad it broke on the way down.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:

Oooo, the club is out. We haven't seen that bad boy in quite some time.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

There's a mention of certain Wooters (not by name though) in Jo's Blog about D&D.

"And then, there was the seemingly new generation of hippies now calling themselves WineWoot millennials… piercings, tattoos, and outrageously colored hair."

How did she know? I haven't told anyone about the ...

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Oooo, the club is out. We haven't seen that bad boy in quite some time.

Cause she knows I'm only kidding about the breakage. Although ....

Funny thing is, when I texted her about the PS Choc Syrup, she whined about the price, but when I said it was the only one left, her response was "Mine!"

Which always makes me think of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:There's a mention of certain Wooters (not by name though) in Jo's Blog about D&D.

"And then, there was the seemingly new generation of hippies now calling themselves WineWoot millennials… piercings, tattoos, and outrageously colored hair."

How did she know? I haven't told anyone about the ...

Hahaha. Not sure that's what WD had in mind about spreading the w.w word but I guess that works

Thanks again for everything Mark. Was fun.

One thing that bothered me, I felt cheap and I didn't mean to be, just nothing really jumped out at me. Places like Corison that were nice enough to wave the tasting fee I wouldn't have minded paying, I just wasn't going to pay retail on it either ... maybe we can pool tasting fees next time and get a bottle or two for the night or something?

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Hahaha. Not sure that's what WD had in mind about spreading the w.w word but I guess that works

Thanks again for everything Mark. Was fun.

One thing that bothered me, I felt cheap and I didn't mean to be, just nothing really jumped out at me. Places like Corison that were nice enough to waive the tasting fee I wouldn't have minded paying, I just wasn't going to pay retail on it either ... maybe we can pool tasting fees next time and get a bottle or two for the night or something?

That's an excellent idea!

We'll just have to decide which ones we want to buy at ahead of time. Especially the ones we know are waiving the tasting fees.

I was disappointed that they weren't waived at Laura Zahtila's when I bought the Laura's Theme dessert wine (76% or so PS, rest Zin).

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Cause she knows I'm only kidding about the breakage. Although ....

Funny thing is, when I texted her about the PS Choc Syrup, she whined about the price, but when I said it was the only one left, her response was "Mine!"

Which always makes me think of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

I did not WHINE, I simply remember it being less expensive

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:That's an excellent idea!

We'll just have to decide which ones we want to buy at ahead of time. Especially the ones we know are waiving the tasting fees.

I was disappointed that they weren't waived at Laura Zahtila's when I bought the Laura's Theme dessert wine (76% or so PS, rest Zin).

Yeah, that cost a sale for me on that bottle. It was yummy, but with the regular (somewhat high, imo) price plus the tasting fee it was too much.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
tenuki wrote:
One thing that bothered me, I felt cheap and I didn't mean to be, just nothing really jumped out at me. Places like Corison that were nice enough to wave the tasting fee I wouldn't have minded paying, I just wasn't going to pay retail on it either ... maybe we can pool tasting fees next time and get a bottle or two for the night or something?

I felt the same way... At Corison I took s and my tasting fees and put it towards a bottle of cab franc. The place I really felt bad was DFW. She poured us about 3 or 4 splits and nobody bought anything, or payed fees. At wellington and Caton nothing popped out at me, and I was really expecting to be excited.

Overall I still ended up buying a lot of wine, but I think tenuki may be onto something for when we have a large group. If that comes up again we should all chip in like $5 and make some purchase(s) so as not to wear out our welcome. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again to all for a fantastic weekend!

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:I felt the same way... At Corison I took s and my tasting fees and put it towards a bottle of cab franc. The place I really felt bad was DFW. She poured us about 3 or 4 splits and nobody bought anything, or payed fees. At wellington and Caton nothing popped out at me, and I was really expecting to be excited.

Overall I still ended up buying a lot of wine, but I think tenuki may be onto something for when we have a large group. If that comes up again we should all chip in like $5 and make some purchase(s) so as not to wear out our welcome. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again to all for a fantastic weekend!

I'm a member of the DFW wine club, and we get some free allowances on tastings. Plus they were up on Woot, and she knew we were Wooters.

But I had hoped someone would have bought at least the Sweet Petite. I bought a lot the last time.

And Wellington didn't have a lot open, and I was disappointed in them. Didn't feel the welcome, especially since it seemed they just wanted to close up. Plus no discount, which they've done in the past for Wooters.

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman

I think pooling saved tasting fees for a bottle later could potentially work out, but only if we're all going to be sharing that bottle later that evening! Not sure it would make sense for some of the wines there (e.g. Kronos). I, too, felt a bit guilty walking out of nearly every winery without purchasing. It's a combination of lack of space and lack of QPR.

This trip (my first to Napa in a long time) re-confirmed an old bias: Napa wines are generally overpriced. The fact that you have to play on an entirely different "Napa price scale" is evidence. Even those wines that were generally considered "reasonably priced" were only that on the Napa scale, imo. By the time you're getting over $30/bottle it had better be really special wine...most of it isn't. Even Vincent Arroyo, who generally has good prices, was for the most part more than I was willing to spend (without tasting for the PS, and with tasting for the two blends).

When I look at the QPR I can get even at retail price in Sonoma, Napa becomes less relevant to my life. It's sad, because there's a lot of good wine, but if I'll enjoy a $25 Sonoma wine as much as I'll enjoy a $50 Napa wine the choice is easy.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So Sparky, you gonna list for us all the pretty things you won in the auction? Inquiring minds want to know what you got.

Oh fine.

Silent Auction:

3L Clayhouse 2007 Estate PS (Signed)

1.5L Miro 2008 Rockpile PS (Signed)

750ml Denier Handel 2009 PS - 2 bottles (+ 2 small DH Olive Oils)

750ml Foppiano 2009 Estate PS - 4 bottles

750ml Barra 2007 PS - 3 bottles, plus
750ml Barra 2008 PS Dessert Wine - 3 bottles

So total 12 bottles plus the Magnum and Double Magnum (aka Jeroboam)

PS picked up a Stanton Magnum, a set of Shoe Shine PS, and a Micheal-Davis Magnum(?) or set.

JoanneVicious picked up the set of Vina Robles PS (similar to the one PS & I split last year), and a Pedroncelli PS 2 bottle set(?).

Sorry if I missed anyone else's wins at the Silent Auction.

Napa/Sonoma/Livermore Damage:

Vincent Arroyo -- 2 bottles (05/06 PS)

Laura Zahtila -- 2 bottles of Laura's Theme (67% PS) dessert wine

Corison -- 1 bottle of 2007 Kronos Cab

Prager Port -- 1 bottle 2005 PS, 1 Aria White port.

D. Fulton -- none (spent way too much in Nov)

Scott Harvey -- 2 brand new Forte

Ridge -- 1 bottle 2008 Carmichael Zin, 1 bottle 2007 Dusi Ranch Late Harvest Zin

Meeker -- 2 bottles 2006 DCV Zin, 1 bottle 2008 PS, 1 375ml FroZin, 1 375ml Tutu Luna

Hawley -- 1 bottle 2010 PS

Wellington -- 1 bottle 2009 Noir de Noirs, 1 White Port, 1 2005 Port Estate, & 1 Criolla Special Port

Ty Caton -- 1 bottle 2009 Upper Bench Merlot (for dinner)

Concannon -- 3 bottles PS Port, 2 bottles PS Reserve Polo Field, 1 bottle Captain Joe's PS Reserve, & 1 bottle 2004 PS Heritage

Oh, and 1 bottle of PS Chocolate Syrup for Cheron.

So about 3.5 cases damage. Not counting the magnum & double magnum.

Edit: Above doesn't include the 3 bottles of Pig Stai Klez had for me, nor the 1 bottle of Chateau Y'quem Cagrl had for me.

And somehow, I seem to have 4 cases full of wine (one 12 bottle shipper, and 3 regular case boxes). Wakko Talks Faboo!????

I know I brought back the Tannat and the Bogle PS Port (since they poured it at D&D), but now I have to look at the 12 bottle shipper.

foppianowine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages foppianowine

Sounds like you cleaned up. Enjoy the Foppiano Petite Sirahs!

MarkDaSpark

foppianowine wrote:Sounds like you cleaned up. Enjoy the Foppiano Petite Sirahs!

Looking forward to them. Still mad I missed out on the Foppiano Wine.Woot offer during the PS Woot-off, but made up for it with the silent auction win.