JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

In for one. It should be up +1's alley.

Plus, anything to encourage Stillman to keep gracing us with his, um, unique participation is always a good thing.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
JOATMON wrote:In for one. It should be up +1's alley.

Plus, anything to encourage Stillman to keep gracing us with his, um, unique participation is always a good thing.

Thanks! Sorry the very unique Vintners Voicemail didn't make it. I have the MP3 if you're brave . . .

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah
stillmanbrown wrote:Thanks! Sorry the very unique Vintners Voicemail didn't make it. I have the MP3 if you're brave . . .

It's very Stillman, and therefore (filtered) awesome.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
stillmanbrown wrote:Thanks! Sorry the very unique Vintners Voicemail didn't make it. I have the MP3 if you're brave . . .

I am brave...or naive. How do I get it?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

stillmanbrown

JOATMON wrote:I am brave...or naive. How do I get it?

Send me an email, I'll send you the mp3 (WW sent it to me but didn't post it)

stillmanb@aoldotcom

stillmanbrown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esrD4mvQ9nE&list=UUCGMsEN6cR657vlCJqk95dw&index=8&feature=plcp

and that's Black Zeppelin History Month, featuring mini minion in schoolgirl uniform.

stillmanbrown

OK it's midnight here . . . I'm going to sleep for a few hours. When I return, I expect at least one trollish remark; last time it was a 'your website sucks, let me design you one' which is better than having my fingernail polish mutilated by expensive Italian wine, but not much.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
winedrew wrote:Have you thought about being a wine judge?

Winedrew

You are kidding, right? Or have you already forgotten last spring's Wine.Woot fun filled funtastic Spring Function? Or that I'm repeating (as a Judge in Training this time) again with Scott this year in Ontario in March at the NWIWC?

And good to see you are alive. We missed you at D&D this year.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

liverman wrote:Thanks be! A woot white!! And a yummy Rhone style dry white. Keeps me in the ABC club, too!

If the German dude likes it, I'm in! Exactly my taste as well.

With all the reds we've been seeing lately, I predict this gem will go fast. 111 cases = 37 woot packs.

Sorry, should have specified Fraulein. Definitely not a dude!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

stillmanbrown wrote:Black Zeppelin History Month

and that's Black Zeppelin History Month, featuring mini minion in schoolgirl uniform.

I want a mini-minion!!!

Fixed it so it's linkable.

pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen

I have been running out of Whites, mostly for SWMBO. Not only is this one both dry and well-regarded, it ships to the Free State, so no Woot-legging for me!

jhudelson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jhudelson

In for 2. Thanks Stillman (and WineWoot)- we love your wines. And, to think, some nice man is going to drive up to my door one of these days and deliver a box of heavan-scent to my door. Perfect!

stillmanbrown

Okay, I'm back, and sort of awake . . . and if one of my kids was awake, he could figure out how to put the censored Vintners Voicemail up on my youtube channel.

BlackDrez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BlackDrez

I'm in for one. We like a nice dry white once in a while and it's hard to pass up this one what with all the great comments. I don't believe I've ever had a grenache blanc before but when it comes to whites I like a good viognier.

maryp9002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryp9002

I bought this woot as a reflex to the hilarious wine.woot description, but am seriously looking forward to it after reading the blog...love me some Viognier.

stillmanbrown

stillmanbrown wrote:Okay, I'm back, and sort of awake . . . and if one of my kids was awake, he could figure out how to put the censored Vintners Voicemail up on my youtube channel.

Oh, great, Windows has a Movie Maker program . . . that will let me make a 7 second video with a pic of the culprits involved (moi + mini-minion). The VVmail is 1:43, however . . .

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

As much as I enjoy Stillman and as many great things as I have heard about his wines, I still have to pass. My storage is way over capacity right now and I am on the lookout for some semi-sweet whites. Why does everyone insist on making everything dry? Nearly every white I have seen on here in the last 2-3 months has been dry, if a semi-sweet comes up, it is paired with something dry in a mixed pack. Enough ranting I guess, my wallet is safe for another day.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

stillmanbrown

North316 wrote:As much as I enjoy Stillman and as many great things as I have heard about his wines, I still have to pass. My storage is way over capacity right now and I am on the lookout for some semi-sweet whites. Why does everyone insist on making everything dry? Nearly every white I have seen on here in the last 2-3 months has been dry, if a semi-sweet comes up, it is paired with something dry in a mixed pack. Enough ranting I guess, my wallet is safe for another day.

5 grams of sugar per 750ml would work; though it might referment if not refrigerated or consumed immediately! Not to be a sales shill, but how sweet? I do Riesling at .7% RS but not enough to sell on WineWoot :-(

stillmanbrown

What else is up around here? Picking up Alicante Bouschet cuttings later today or early tomorrow - I'm grafting the Grenache in the Colossus vineyard over to Vermentino and A.B. - the latter to go into the Colossus, of course. The Grenache has been troublesome, and even at one ton/acre (basically, one bottle per vine) it was better expressed as a dry Rose. Sorry, there wasn't enough 'Pink Zeppelin' for WW, and I put a somewhat less than legal label on it anyway . . . go to zeppelinwinery.com for a look if not a taste.

lkwcpa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lkwcpa
stillmanbrown wrote:5 grams of sugar per 750ml would work; though it might referment if not refrigerated or consumed immediately! Not to be a sales shill, but how sweet? I do Riesling at .7% RS but not enough to sell on WineWoot :-(

I would love to try the Riesling!

edit: am also in on this offer, sounds delicious.

stillmanbrown

I did mention Verdejo, didn't I? Though it won't be released for a year. In Spain it traditionally went to sherry, until the great Emile Peynaud showed the Ruedans (wonder how they behaved in traffic?) how to make clean dry whites.

stillmanbrown

lkwcpa wrote:I would love to try the Riesling!

Email me, stillmanb at aol dot com

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:Nearly every white I have seen on here in the last 2-3 months has been dry, if a semi-sweet comes up, it is paired with something dry in a mixed pack. Enough ranting I guess, my wallet is safe for another day.

You could always split a pack with someone who is all about the dry white... just sayin'!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10

I'm a fan of dry whites - and need to stock up before the summer heat hits and stops my WW ordering! All these comments and Stillman's participation have pushed me over the edge.

3rd wine.woot in a week - this is getting pricey...

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
stillmanbrown wrote:I did mention Verdejo, didn't I? Though it won't be released for a year. In Spain it traditionally went to sherry, until the great Emile Peynaud showed the Ruedans (wonder how they behaved in traffic?) how to make clean dry whites.

Oh yes, please!

One of my favorite whites I've ever tasted was on a NWA flight from Detroit to Osaka in 2008 - a 2006 Deen de Bortoli Vat 6, if I recall. Looked around forever and could never find it in the US. Now, I've become much more of a wine-lover since then but if my memory serves me correctly I'd love to try me some more!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

lkwcpa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lkwcpa
stillmanbrown wrote:Email me, stillmanb at aol dot com

done, thank you!!

North316

stillmanbrown wrote:5 grams of sugar per 750ml would work; though it might referment if not refrigerated or consumed immediately! Not to be a sales shill, but how sweet? I do Riesling at .7% RS but not enough to sell on WineWoot :-(

The sweeter the better to be honest. I'm still learning my own palate but I've quickly realized I'm not a huge fan of dry, minerally whites (moreso than ones with floral notes). I've had some dry Gewurztraminer and Sauvignion Blanc's lately that I'm just not a huge fan of and only somewhat enjoy them at very cold temps (which helps mute some of the flavors). I understand the wines and can see why other people enjoy them, but I am just not a huge fan of the style. To be completely honest, once it warms up, the taste reminds too much of beer, which I do not drink at all.

I don't know if it something in the grapes, the processes or what, but some whites just tend to be very offputting to me. None-the-less, I will continue to keep trying them until I can sort out exactly what it is that I like and don't like about the whites, because I am very open minded (and the wife still prefers them over reds, I'm converting her though). I tend to like rieslings, but I have not yet met one that I would consider dry, which for me is a good thing.

My CT

North316

inkycatz wrote:You could always split a pack with someone who is all about the dry white... just sayin'!

The person I do splits with has a very similar pallet to mine, so that doesn't work.

My CT

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah
North316 wrote:Why does everyone insist on making everything dry? Nearly every white I have seen on here in the last 2-3 months has been dry, if a semi-sweet comes up, it is paired with something dry in a mixed pack.

Because outside of Sauternes, late harvest reds, and non-low end rieslings, that amount of naturally-occuring residual sugar is most often used to cover up crappy fruit, poor winemaking, hide other flaws in the wine and/or to appeal to the unsophisticated palate.

See, e.g., moscato, most non-dry sparkling wines, lots of american rieslings (especially from warmer climes), and pretty much any white wine made in the southeast.

The sugar covers up the other attributes of the wine, while also increasing the need for acidity to make it palatable (compare sugar water to lemonade, sweetened cranberry juice, or orange juice, for example). It also makes pairing a lot more difficult, as many people really the taste of sugar with savory flavors like meat outside of certain areas like spicy foods or certain asian cuisines.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Bouncy, bounce, bounce, bounce... already?!?

Well that pushed me over the edge, Woot. In for one!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

If you're on the fence, better hurry. The yellow button is B-O-U-N-C-I-N-G!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Just got a half case.... in under the wire.

55 cases of stillman brown wine goes quick around here!

Kainc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kainc

In for one. I think I've held out on Zep wine in the past due to a dislike for the similar sounding noise making outfit out of England. Interesting that my last ww purchase was the Saxon Browne Syrah, and I do like the 70's stuff from Jackson Browne. Apparently I'm safe from tomorrow's woot unless it's the Grapeful Dead or something similar.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

Wow, glad I got mine this morning!
I saw this on the iphone right before bed and decided that I would buy if available when I got into the office.
Good thing I get in early..

WaltW

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WaltW

The West Coast crowd is not going to be happy when they wake up and see the big yellow SO button.

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sorry, should have specified Fraulein. Definitely not a dude!!!

Es tut mir leid. Ich hab' mein Post geaendert.

I edited my original post to add the correct "-in" suffix. ;-)

No insult intended. I'll leave it you to deal with her about the "Fraülein" label.

Regards,

Greg

stillmanbrown

WaltW wrote:The West Coast crowd is not going to be happy when they wake up and see the big yellow SO button.

Well, they can get it from me without too much pain, if they join my wine club and dance in the tasting room cage. Anyone outside CA benefits from WWs lower shipping costs, especially on a single package.

hokienutzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hokienutzz
WaltW wrote:The West Coast crowd is not going to be happy when they wake up and see the big yellow SO button.

Crap. was reading the front page when the button stopped jumping and went to SO...

dragonfly1209

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dragonfly1209

As Homer would say...D'oh! Should have clicked the yellow button when I first looked this morning.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dragonfly1209 wrote:As Homer would say...D'oh! Should have clicked the yellow button when I first looked this morning.

I'm just hanging out, really.