PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah

They'd have to pay me to drink a Michigan white :-)

PoSt away, folks.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tiger7610 wrote:For some of us (read Eastern Orthodox) this is palm sunday, easter is next week.

Your point being?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 8th.

April
4/21: NYC #19: Napa Black Tie Event
4/21: NorCal #12: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
4/27-28: Ohio Wine Dinner with Scott and Jana Harvey
TBD: NoVA/DC #26: Theme TBD

May
5/5: NorCal Excursion: Vincent Arroyo Open House
5/19: CyberPub Cellars 2011 Rogue Rhone Bottling- NEWEST Thread!

July
7/23-25: RPM's History Tour, Part 1
7/25-29: RPM's History Tour, Part 2

(Dates set. There is room on both tours for more people!)

Pending
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

So join or create a WW Gathering!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Where is everyone?? Not hungover. Wait, did the Rapture happen?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Where is everyone?? Not hungover. Wait, did the Rapture happen?

I'm still here! (People's milage may vary on how good that is, whatevers.) Gonna crosspost my post from PWA, only because it expresses how awesome my Easter was.

Good morning everyone! It was such a beautiful weekend here! The weather says we get one more day of sun and then it'll rain again. Went to the zoo on Saturday - it was packed with kids doing Easter hunts but surprisingly spread out enough that I didn't feel too crowded.

Easter was gorgeous though, and I decided to go out for brunch buffet. The menu consisted of:
- seasonal fruit salad with basil & lime (yummy)
- mini pigs in a blanket w/honey mustard sauce
- french toast w/maple bacon syrup or regular maple syrup
- eggs in a blanket (pan fried toast with an egg in the middle) (also yummy)
- corned beef hash
- tofu scramble with tofu, peppers, spinach, lots of spices
- scrambled eggs
- sausage links, bacon, and field roast (veggie) patties
- home fries, hash browns
- cereal
- a 'do it yourself toast station'

There was also a 'do it yourself' Bloody Mary bar which I didn't try but had all kinds of olives, peppers, and veggie like things to put in your drink. Nearly everyone was drinking them though I honestly don't see the appeal of Bloody Marys at all.

Then I came home and slept most of the afternoon, which was no big surprise.

//crosspost
I also drank no interesting wines this weekend. I'll try to fix that wine issue at some point this week. ;)

I'm just hanging out, really.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Two huge things to report, the completion of one allowing me to post the other.

SWMBO is starting a new job in 3 weeks. Way more pay and way more of what she wants to be doing in the field. No more plantiff's work. She'll be working for Travelers insurance in-house council.

And since that has been solidified, I can also tell you that SWMBO is 21 weeks pregnant with my daughter! Our first kid. We painted the nursery, built some stuff, spent $600 on a stroller, and I'm drinking alone!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

inkycatz

kylemittskus wrote:Two huge things to report, the completion of one allowing me to post the other.

SWMBO is starting a new job in 3 weeks. Way more pay and way more of what she wants to be doing in the field. No more plantiff's work. She'll be working for Travelers insurance in-house council.

And since that has been solidified, I can also tell you that SWMBO is 21 weeks pregnant with my daughter! Our first kid. We painted the nursery, built some stuff, spent $600 on a stroller, and I'm drinking alone!

Awwwyeah! Grats on all fronts! :D

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
kylemittskus wrote:Two huge things to report, the completion of one allowing me to post the other.

Congrats indeed! Just hope the stares you get for drinking great wines when your SWMBO can't partake aren't too bad. Parenthood is fantastic.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Mazel tov! to you both on both counts! How wonderful! However, what did you do?: Buy the Cadillac of strollers?? $600.00? Yikes!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Congrats and welcome to the parent club!! The first child is always scary and exciting!!! My advise to you.... you don't have to have EVERYTHING they make for babies!! REAlly !!
a $600 stroller better come with someone to push it!! Ha ha ha!!! Seriously, enjoy and spoil swmbo!!!!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
PetiteSirah wrote:They'd have to pay me to drink a Michigan white :-)

Reminds me of what my late FIL used to say: "He has a mind like a steel trap. Once it's closed, nothing gets in."

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Double mazal tov! Happy Pesach, too!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

This is all truly wonderful news. My daughter is truly a priceless treasure; may you be as fortunate. The idea of more pay for more desirable work is another great thing. I suspect she'll be acting as counsel, however.
Congratulations!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

inkycatz

mommadeb1 wrote:Congrats and welcome to the parent club!! The first child is always scary and exciting!!! My advise to you.... you don't have to have EVERYTHING they make for babies!! REAlly !!
a $600 stroller better come with someone to push it!! Ha ha ha!!! Seriously, enjoy and spoil swmbo!!!!

Hey mommadeb! I started a thread inspired by your comment! Come on over and loan that expertise and advice over on kids, if you would. Something tells me kylemittskus isn't the only new parent who could benefit from your knowledge... (Actually I know this to be the case, my FB feed lately is cropping up with a number of engagement and baby announcements.)

MarkDaSpark

inkycatz wrote:I'm still here! (People's milage may vary on how good that is, whatevers.) Gonna crosspost my post from PWA, only because it expresses how awesome my Easter was.

Good morning everyone! It was such a beautiful weekend here! The weather says we get one more day of sun and then it'll rain again. Went to the zoo on Saturday - it was packed with kids doing Easter hunts but surprisingly spread out enough that I didn't feel too crowded.

Easter was gorgeous though, and I decided to go out for brunch buffet. The menu consisted of:
- seasonal fruit salad with basil & lime (yummy)
- mini pigs in a blanket w/honey mustard sauce
- french toast w/maple bacon syrup or regular maple syrup
- eggs in a blanket (pan fried toast with an egg in the middle) (also yummy)
- corned beef hash
- tofu scramble with tofu, peppers, spinach, lots of spices
- scrambled eggs
- sausage links, bacon, and field roast (veggie) patties
- home fries, hash browns
- cereal
- a 'do it yourself toast station'

There was also a 'do it yourself' Bloody Mary bar which I didn't try but had all kinds of olives, peppers, and veggie like things to put in your drink. Nearly everyone was drinking them though I honestly don't see the appeal of Bloody Marys at all.

Then I came home and slept most of the afternoon, which was no big surprise.

//crosspost
I also drank no interesting wines this weekend. I'll try to fix that wine issue at some point this week. ;)

Tofu scramble???? What Tiny Flowers????? Especially with all the rest of the goodness (Mmmmmmmm, bacon!!!)

Was that the Binge&Purge section of the Brunch???

Oh, and what's the name of this eclectic brunch spot?

MarkDaSpark

Congrats!!!

inkycatz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Tofu scramble???? What Tiny Flowers????? Especially with all the rest of the goodness (Mmmmmmmm, bacon!!!)

Was that the Binge&Purge section of the Brunch???

Oh, and what's the name of this eclectic brunch spot?

It's actually a local bar here in Seattle called the Unicorn. According to the staff, it was only the second time they've done a buffet style brunch, the first being on New Years (how I missed out on this I do not even know). For $10 (not including drinks), it was a pretty good bargain and now I'm intrigued enough to try the regular brunch menu sometime.

Most bars around here try to have some sort of weekend brunch option since everywhere fills up on the weekend (Seattle is big on brunch, who knew), but nearly all of them are horrible (which is to be expected). I have been sampling all the brunch options over time since I moved back to the area, so I can say this with scientific certainty.

I'm pretty sure the tofu scramble existed just to be all 'vegan friendly'.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Congratulations on both counts. While a competitor, Travelers has a good reputation. And working in CA for a CT company makes a great combination.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:This is all truly wonderful news. My daughter is truly a priceless treasure; may you be as fortunate. The idea of more pay for more desirable work is another great thing. I suspect she'll be acting as counsel, however.
Congratulations!

Awwww! Fail! Yes, yes, legal counsel!

And thanks for the well wishes! We are ecstatic!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Congrats! Hmm, maybe I should design a baby bottle that looks like a 375 and sell them for $200 ;) Wait, they probably already exist

CT

tenuki

ddeuddeg wrote:Reminds me of what my late FIL used to say: "He has a mind like a steel trap. Once it's closed, nothing gets in."

I have a feeling I'll be stealing that one.

CT

tenuki

inkycatz wrote:Hey mommadeb! I started a thread inspired by your comment! Come on over and loan that expertise and advice over on kids, if you would. Something tells me kylemittskus isn't the only new parent who could benefit from your knowledge... (Actually I know this to be the case, my FB feed lately is cropping up with a number of engagement and baby announcements.)

Oh whew, kids woot, I was afraid we were going to see a Jerry Springer episode a decade from now about kids raised by internet wine drinking groups.

CT

mommadeb1

tenuki wrote:Oh whew, kids woot, I was afraid we were going to see a Jerry Springer episode a decade from now about kids raised by internet wine drinking groups.

wouldn't that be a great reality show?!!! with all the other reality crap that is on tv now!!

mommadeb1

inkycatz wrote:Hey mommadeb! I started a thread inspired by your comment! Come on over and loan that expertise and advice over on kids, if you would. Something tells me kylemittskus isn't the only new parent who could benefit from your knowledge... (Actually I know this to be the case, my FB feed lately is cropping up with a number of engagement and baby announcements.)

I'll pop on over!

inkycatz

tenuki wrote:Oh whew, kids woot, I was afraid we were going to see a Jerry Springer episode a decade from now about kids raised by internet wine drinking groups.

Coming back in a decade to steal this idea. It'll be a hit!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Congrats on everything but the stroller!!!

mommadeb1

inkycatz wrote:Coming back in a decade to steal this idea. It'll be a hit!

I can see it now.... "So tell us what it was like growing up with your parents constantly checking in with their online wine community for every question they had on child rearing?" " well, I was the only child who had their juice areated" ..... hee hee it would be a great show!!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
inkycatz wrote:It's actually a local bar here in Seattle called the Unicorn. According to the staff, it was only the second time they've done a buffet style brunch, the first being on New Years (how I missed out on this I do not even know). For $10 (not including drinks), it was a pretty good bargain and now I'm intrigued enough to try the regular brunch menu sometime.

Most bars around here try to have some sort of weekend brunch option since everywhere fills up on the weekend (Seattle is big on brunch, who knew), but nearly all of them are horrible (which is to be expected). I have been sampling all the brunch options over time since I moved back to the area, so I can say this with scientific certainty.

I'm pretty sure the tofu scramble existed just to be all 'vegan friendly'.

If you haven't done the coastal kitchen yet.... I don't know how you could live with yourself...j/k, but make it your next stop

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

Congrats bud.
We're both having summer babies.

Drinking alone ain't so bad if you can find something she likes as an alternative. My wife likes both ginger beer and root beer, neither of which contain caffeine or alcohol.

Good luck.

CT

inkycatz

trifecta wrote:If you haven't done the coastal kitchen yet.... I don't know how you could live with yourself...j/k, but make it your next stop

I've only been there for lunch! I will absolutely check it out.

I consider that more restaurant than bar - Unicorn is definitely bar, along with Linda's, Bill's Off Broadway, Grim's. Next on my "bar brunch" list is the newly opened Pine Box.

Coastal Kitchen I tend to toss in with Americana, Glo's, 611 Supreme, and a long list of other restauranty places.

cortot20 wrote:Congrats bud.

As an August baby my-own-self, grats!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
inkycatz wrote:I've only been there for lunch! I will absolutely check it out.

I consider that more restaurant than bar - Unicorn is definitely bar, along with Linda's, Bill's Off Broadway, Grim's. Next on my "bar brunch" list is the newly opened Pine Box.

Coastal Kitchen I tend to toss in with Americana, Glo's, 611 Supreme, and a long list of other restauranty places.

In all the years I have gone there it has only been for breakfast. Ahh... Linda's. Bringing back memories for me. I haven't lived in Seattle in over 5 years, but visit at least a couple weeks each year.

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Congrats bud.

Drinking alone ain't so bad if you can find something she likes as an alternative. My wife likes both ginger beer and root beer, neither of which contain caffeine or alcohol.

Good luck.

I didn't know you two were pregnant, too. Congrats! We're August 20th. Did you buy the $600 stroller?

polarbear22

kylemittskus wrote:I didn't know you two were pregnant, too. Congrats! We're August 20th. Did you buy the $600 stroller?

The worst part of a $600 stroller - you'll need to do a whole lot of walks to make it worth the cost.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

inkycatz

polarbear22 wrote:The worst part of a $600 stroller - you'll need to do a whole lot of walks to make it worth the cost.

Considering all the yummy toffee and cheese offerings that come around, I'm probably going to indulge in a lot of walking this spring and summer without a stroller! :D

kylemittskus

inkycatz wrote:Considering all the yummy toffee and cheese offerings that come around, I'm probably going to indulge in a lot of walking this spring and summer without a stroller! :D

Yeah. We will use the stroller almost daily which is why I had no problems buying the one that SWBMO wanted. And even if I did have a problem buying it, we would have bought it anyway.

ddeuddeg

tenuki wrote:I have a feeling I'll be stealing that one.

Please feel free. But use it responsibly.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I'll be on it three times

Congrats Squishy. Kids are fun

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:Please feel free. But use it responsibly.

With great sayings come great responsibility

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22

kylemittskus wrote:Yeah. We will use the stroller almost daily which is why I had no problems buying the one that SWBMO wanted. And even if I did have a problem buying it, we would have bought it anyway.

Wow, you learn fast. Took me nearly 15 years of marriage to realize the truth there.

Most telling was coming home to two sets of curtains in the living room.
SWMBO: Which one do you like?
Me: The blue ones.
SWMBO: You're wrong!

Yes, she gets to tell me what I like.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

inkycatz wrote:As an August baby my-own-self, grats!

Mom is an August baby. Dad was July, and I'm a June SuperStar!!!