CT link above

Winery website

Facebook

Previous offer:
9/19/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdfreedive

quality posts: 22 Private Messages sdfreedive

it's over

diosabellissima

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diosabellissima

It ends.

. . . and we're stuck with another stinking red again. COME ON, WOOT! BRING ON THE WHITES!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
diosabellissima wrote: COME ON, WOOT! BRING ON THE WHITES!

+1

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Camping and had this earlier in the evening. Great full bodied Pinot. Made by Scott Harvey. Under $13 shipped. Click the button.

Cesare

quality posts: 1566 Private Messages Cesare

yay sleep

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew

This reminded me to go back and check the Gazzi Syrah from the woot.off and I see Scott dropped a note in there that unfortunately he wasn't involved in that one -

SH, "Sorry I mised getting in on the questions when the wine was up. So, I'll answer the questions now and anyone that wants to go back can see them. 2005 was the first vinatge at gazzi that i had something to do with. So i did not make the 2004. I did open a bottle and tase it and do lab work on it. It has a 3.55 pH, which is what i like in my Syrah. I got Tartrates on the cork as it was opened. The wine has a dark color, creamy texture, black pepper, typical Syrah like blueberry, nutmeg with a rich full mouthfeel, balanced oak and long lingering finish."

Oh well - was worth a shot!

mplarkin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin

If I didn't already have a case in the cellar, I'd be in for some more. This wine has a great QPR. If drinking anytime soon, I'd suggest opening it the day before.

On a side note, did anyone find out a definitive answer to whether SH was the winemaker for the 2004 Syrah? And Scott, if you're lurking, please, please, please find a way to offer more InZin soon.

edit: I guess the question has been answered. Don't mean to sound like I'm gloating, but I'm glad I didn't buy.

rpstrong

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rpstrong

I'll take one for the team.

But please hold the olives till dawn.

jwayner

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jwayner

I'm not a fan of cheap pinot, but if this is anything like the last Gazzi pinot woot I bought, it's a winner. The syrah added some depth to the wine - seems like an unlikely combination but I thought it worked. Thought I was safe after the end of the woot-off but no, I'm breaking my SIWBM for this.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
Cesare wrote:yay sleep

You earned it!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

dfstineh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dfstineh
dalematthew wrote:This reminded me to go back and check the Gazzi Syrah from the woot.off and I see Scott dropped a note in there that unfortunately he wasn't involved in that one -

SH, "Sorry I mised getting in on the questions when the wine was up. So, I'll answer the questions now and anyone that wants to go back can see them. 2005 was the first vinatge at gazzi that i had something to do with. So i did not make the 2004. I did open a bottle and tase it and do lab work on it. It has a 3.55 pH, which is what i like in my Syrah. I got Tartrates on the cork as it was opened. The wine has a dark color, creamy texture, black pepper, typical Syrah like blueberry, nutmeg with a rich full mouthfeel, balanced oak and long lingering finish."

Ouch! A bit of salt in the wound, but I'm guessing it'll still be tasty and good value - just wish I hadn't been so foolhardy and gone for 3. Now only in for 2 on this one.

That is, if the NC shipping SNAFU will be corrected once again - I went ahead and placed my order with all the correct details on the address except "California" substituted for North Carolina - hope this works!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Although I went in on the Gazzi Syrah, I'm kind of Gazzi'd out.

On a positive note, I LOVE THE SHIRT WOOT TODAY:

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Wine Spies like it.

http://thewinespies.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/2008-gazzi-estate-vineyards-sonoma-coast-pinot-noir/

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

globewalker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages globewalker

I got the 07 version of this in an August woot.. it was very enjoyable for the price point.. would buy more..
Any indication this 08 will be equivalent?

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

$5 more than the last offer...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Yeah, whats with the price increase for the same product we bought last year. Does an extra 6 months in the warehouse increase the cost of this woot by $5?

CT

stylen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stylen

First time wine woot buyer. 5 bottles of Pinot noir hard to resist ...

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
Cesare wrote:yay sleep

I didn't think BOTs needed sleep

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ego48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48
mschauber wrote:$5 more than the last offer...

thats because SH said that the offer wouldn't last the day in the september WW.

so, um, it's more valuable.

because it didnt' sell out, and all.

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew
globewalker wrote:I got the 07 version of this in an August woot.. it was very enjoyable for the price point.. would buy more..

Take a look at the link at the top to the prior Woot offering of the '08 - SH description will help you. I enjoyed the 07 and have a couple of bottles left - so feel pretty good in picking up the 08 here.

Would have preferred to be in for 2 of this vs the "pre-SH" Gazzi Syrah from earlier - but fingers crossed that it will also be a pleasant suprise like the 07 PN was.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

[quote posted="4880588" user="bolligra"]Wine Spies like it.

http://thewinespies.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/2008-gazzi-estate-vineyards-sonoma-coast-pinot-noir/[/quote]

From their writeup, 10/7/2011: Note that we got our hands on the final cases of this wine, so please be sure to consider today’s offering carefully.

Apparently they didn't get their hands on the final cases. You can't believe everything you read!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
bolligra wrote:Wine Spies like it.

http://thewinespies.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/2008-gazzi-estate-vineyards-sonoma-coast-pinot-noir/

From their write up:
Wine Spies Tasting Profile:

Look – Dark ruby hues, with even coloration, from core to edge. At the very edge, where wine meets glass, a fine ring of bright pink encircles the wine. After swirling, long, skinny tears fall slowly from high up on the glass.

Smell – Sweet cherry candy, strawberry, blueberry and soft violets. As the wine opens, it also reveals cherry cola, soft brown spice, black cherry and a hint of sweet cedar.

Feel – Soft and light-weight at first. Then, the wine hovers across the mid-palate, where it takes on a soft weightiness. Supple tannins add complexity, driving a soft dryness from the center of the tongue, to the edges of the mouth.

Taste – Delicious and flavorful, with Bing cherry, strawberry, blueberry and soft, sweet cedar. These are perfectly balanced against, dried violets, earthy black cherry, black tea leaf and a hint of dark leather.

Finish – Long and sweet, with flavors that evolve and change before they slowly fade. Red fruit gradually gives way to earthy flavors and soft spice. At the tail end, minerals and soft, sweet spice linger on.

This is the same profile that Wine Woot uses. What's up with that?

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

my notes from 12/13/2011:
No decanting. Very nice aged tannins but the fruit flavors are a bit in the background although pretty close to being well balanced. Subtle cherries. Medium acids. Good on its own without food. Very drinkable after pop and pour.

Edit: also from my notes: drink now, probably will not get better with age

BTW I am in for one.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

2008 was a pretty weak damn year for pinots.

cindihoward

quality posts: 42 Private Messages cindihoward

Is royal blue an unusual color for the label and capsule on a bottle?

MissouriMomma

omgad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages omgad
cindihoward wrote:Is royal blue an unusual color for the label and capsule on a bottle?

I've always thought the label was ugly..

Unclesally

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Unclesally
omgad wrote:I've always thought the label was ugly..

But his 2006 and 2007 wines are tasty. I just got a vertical.
Last wooter to woot: Unclesally

omgad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages omgad
Unclesally wrote:But his 2006 and 2007 wines are tasty. I just got a vertical.
Last wooter to woot: Unclesally

I adore Scott Harvey, but to be "true to the truth", the label for this thing is f'ing ugly and we all know it. Some bottles are so great you can hardly stand to throw them away... This one? Can hardly stand to look at... but the fact they couldn't be bothered to find a decent graphic designer... How much care could have gone into the wine? Still placing an order . But "Big Kahuna" has a nicer looking label...

ballewja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ballewja

No Missouri. Boo.

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

I have bought plenty of this and the 2007. Would buy more but my cellar's full for pinot. I definitely recommend at this price, it's worth more, but it's not a super high end pinot or anything, just a solid wine,

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Mmmmm Scott Harvey.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
globewalker wrote:I got the 07 version of this in an August woot.. it was very enjoyable for the price point.. would buy more..

Great to be back with the gazzi Pinot. The 2007 and 2008 Gazzi Pinots were bottled the same day. June 3rd, 2010. They are similar in style, having both using the same winemaking treatment. The 2007 being aged a year longer in barrel is not as fruit forward as the 2008. After I bottled the wines I did lab work and evaluations on both;
2007 - 3.53pH, 14ppm free SO2, .048 VA, 15.0% alc. Red fruits, bright cherry, red licroice, French oak, good balance and long finish.
2008 - 3.55pH, 20ppm free SO2, .048 VA,14.8% alc. Riper than the 2007, blackberry jam, Syrah like, red fruits, softer than the 2007, more tannic on the finish.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Great to be back with the gazzi Pinot. The 2007 and 2008 Gazzi Pinots were bottled the same day. June 3rd, 2010. They are similar in style, having both using the same winemaking treatment. The 2007 being aged a year longer in barrel is not as fruit forward as the 2008. After I bottled the wines I did lab work and evaluations on both;
2007 - 3.53pH, 14ppm free SO2, .048 VA, 15.0% alc. Red fruits, bright cherry, red licroice, French oak, good balance and long finish.
2008 - 3.55pH, 20ppm free SO2, .048 VA,14.8% alc. Riper than the 2007, blackberry jam, Syrah like, red fruits, softer than the 2007, more tannic on the finish.

Scott,

Would you say this is a drink now wine, or does it still have any evolution left in it?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
dalematthew wrote:This reminded me to go back and check the Gazzi Syrah from the woot.off and I see Scott dropped a note in there that unfortunately he wasn't involved in that one -

Drew from Wine.woot and I enjoyed a bottle of the Syrah when we were deciding to offer it on Woot or not. We both liked the wine and and drank it all. I don't thing you'll be disappointed. I really like the quality of the Gazzi vineyard.

siriusblueus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages siriusblueus

For all the people complaining about the reds again, know this: in my experience (and humble opinion) Pino Noir is a great crossover wine in that you can pair it with foods that you would probably serve white wine with like fish. I find that as long as there is a reasonable fat content in the food (salmon or mahi, pasta with lots of cheese, and flank steak) Noir is an excellent and elegant choice.

ryall12

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ryall12

Just bought 3, love this wine. Well at least the 07 from the prior woot. I would have to go back and check my tasting notes for a better review but for now I can say:

This wine did not last long and I had a case. Everyone who tasted it loved it. I scoured the internet even contacting woot looking for more. If you like pinot at all, or even just reds, buy this. If it is anything like the 07 you will not be disappointed and if you are send me a note, will be happy to buy the rest off of you

krapfmr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krapfmr

No Missouri. Sad panda. Was ready to pull the trigger on 2

Wodinn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wodinn

Woe be unto Vermonters. Can we expect that to change any time in the future?